Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 05:06 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,333,182 times

Advertisements

I've read many reports (including this one) that rank Seattle as one of the best places for allergy sufferers but they never really go into details about Seattle. I would've initially thought the mold growth from all the moisture and the blooming flowers would cause insane allergies. When I lived in the continential climate Upper Midwest, I had flaring allergies like crazy during every seasonal change. But here, I have not had as bad of outbreaks. Anyone know why Seattle is supposedly better for allergy sufferers? The article mentions less dramatic seasonal changes but that can't be the only factor with all that rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 05:12 PM

47 posts, read 78,202 times
I would love to hear how it is for allergy prone. My husband and son are soooo bad right now. We live in MPLS suburb, and it is high season for them. I feel so bad for them. We are moving there within the month, and am hoping their allergies will be better, but I can't find any information as to how it is there. I was just looking at weather.com, and it looks alot better than here right now....

I am sure it depends on what they are allergic to.....

JoAnn

Old 05-10-2013, 05:41 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,333,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittney2323 View Post
I would love to hear how it is for allergy prone. My husband and son are soooo bad right now. We live in MPLS suburb, and it is high season for them. I feel so bad for them. We are moving there within the month, and am hoping their allergies will be better, but I can't find any information as to how it is there. I was just looking at weather.com, and it looks alot better than here right now....

I am sure it depends on what they are allergic to.....

JoAnn
When I lived in Omaha, every seasonal transition was hell for me. After the ice blankets and snow piles melted and the mold came out alongside blooming flowers, my throat would close and my eyes would be watering nonstop until I took a Zyrtec. The worst was when the summer weather would have the occasional bizarre cold rainy day (or once it started hailing and sleeting in mid-July) and then the next day would be scorching humid hot. Talk about heaven for bacteria.

I had really bad acne while living in Nebraska and my skin has since improved while living in Seattle, and I eat the same diet and use the same skin care routine. But I can't wrap my head around why. The dampness and all varieties of fauna & flora in Seattle make it sound like a disaster for skin & allergies but it's not.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:06 PM

23 posts, read 42,281 times
I had horriblw allergies in Seattle. Pollen and molds. Been good so far since moving to san diego

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Old 05-10-2013, 09:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
My Mom had horrible allergies in the San Francisco Bay Area, and took all sorts of medications all year. Here she has no problems whatsoever, going on 12 years now. We never see mold, the constant rain results in moss, which is not a common allergenic. Mold is not a problem with good ventilation and home maintenance. The cottonwood seeds fly about for a few weeks and pile up like snow, but even that doesn't seem to bother people. We recently had our 2-3 weeks of yellow fir tree pollen, but it just makes the cars a mess. The flowers are beautiful but don't last long, first the cherry blossoms and now the azaleas and rhodies, but few people are bothered by it.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:09 PM

563 posts, read 1,787,794 times
for me, it hits me two weeks out of the year, most of the time in March. For my wife, it is year round. So every person is different.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:00 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,101 times
My allergies are WAY improved here. I was a bit nervous because of the damp and all the trees, but so far I've been much improved. Spring in California usually had me indoors sneezing and wheezing with bulging, itchy red eyes for six weeks. So far the only allergy problem I've had is watery eyes and mild sinus headache, but I can deal with that.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Funny timing, just this morning driving through Issaquah it looked like a snowstorm from the cottonwood seeds. No allergy problems though.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:23 PM

338 posts, read 847,961 times
My husband and I have pretty severe allergies (as in, I take 4 medications a day for it). In Texas, it was hell. Here, it's only some-what hell. The mold count in winter had me spinning sinus infections, but the spring actually isn't too bad. I've had a few rough days but it is improved. Still, not the allergy free paradise my allergist thought it would be for us.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:27 PM

164 posts, read 430,376 times
There's a lot less air pollution here than in Philadelphia, where I'm from. I've stopped taking my allergy medication. Also, without the horrible humidity, my asthma is much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area