Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:14 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,613 times

Advertisements

Hello Seattlites, i'm hoping I can gain some local information about the are surrounding a possible IT job location that im looking into and hopefully relocating to the Seattle area in the near future if this job opportunity works ou

Google map this area with street view to get a better idea of what i'm seeing.
5501 4th Avenue South, Seattle, WA

I"m mostly concerned with the safety and crime factor in this area as it does look somewhat run down compared to the nicer business area's of Seattle, especially near coastlines of Lake Washington. What is the traffic like in this part of down during busy rush hours? If I was working in this area, what are some good options in finding 1 or 2 bedroom apts that are not horrendously far away but also in safe area's with more upscale feel and newer developments? What would be the better road routes to travel to work in this area and what ones should I avoid?

Mostly, I need to know how safe or unsafe this area is, particularly because i'm from a smaller town all in my life based in Montana so Seattle is a HUGE upgrade for someone like me and because im fairly OCD, I do a lot of research into big changes and decisions like this so the more I can learn about the pro's and con's, the better I can set my mind at ease and make a decision.

Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,030,329 times
4th and Lucille is an older and traditional industrial area that is considered part of the Duwamish Industrial area just north of Georgtown, an older Seattle neighborhood. In my opinion, it isn't terribly unsafe. I'd feel completely comfortable myself working in the area.

You can take a look at the SPD crime map and it will show the area being very low in both violent crime and property crime: click here

Scroll through the statistics menu and hone in on the area of 4th and Lucille and you can see for yourself.

As for more upscale place to live? Maybe Alki in West Seatte, or Madrona, Leschi on Lake Washington? Others can give you more options.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,363,370 times
That is close to Georgetown, one of the more underrated neighborhoods in my opinion. Near there is Maruta Mart, a killer Japanese grocery store that sells awesome bento box lunches for super cheap too. There's also the longest-running bar in the nation there (they never closed it down during prohibition officially) and the general area has a working-class feel to it, lots of hispanics have moved into the area. Walking around there I never feel in danger.

It is in the traditional industrial area and you will have airplanes landing right ON TOP OF you ... you are on the approach path to Boeing field just south of there. Consider that if you don't want to be buzzed every 30 minutes. That's probably the only reason the cost is lower there. Don't worry though, flights are restricted to certain hours, so it won't be a 24/7 thing.

If you lived and worked there, and didn't mind the busy-ness and airplane noise, it'd be ideal.

If you wanted to work elsewhere, airport rd. is ideal and is relatively open with little traffic, except during football or baseball games. 10 minutes straight shot up to the International District too for some awesomeness there, car or bus.

Honestly, if/when SODO gets gentrified this place will be next.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

Honestly, if/when SODO gets gentrified this place will be next.
Uhh.... What?

Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,742 times
SODO = south of downtown

SoDo, Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some people believe that Georgetown is a hidden hip area, very "up and coming". I wouldn't hesitate to work there at all, and in fact have driven to that part of town quite often for our doggie daycare, child's soccer, and child's gymnastics. There is no visible crime. West Seattle would be an ideal place to live, very short commute. WS feels like a small town in a big city, and we have killer views. Our local blog/news source (keep in mind, ALL crime is reported in the blog, but this is not a dangerous neighborhood at all):

http://www.westseattleblog.com

Last edited by west seattle gal; 06-20-2013 at 12:12 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 AM

I see. If your talking about West Seattle being a place for me to live in, no way. My sister lived in White Center near the West Crest park, stuck between two gang territories and while living there for two years, she and her husband saw some scary stuff in that area and Shorewood. Me thinks east Seattle across Washington Lake might be a better bet for me despite the longer drive unless you can refute my sisters information somehow.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:03 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,742 times
White Center is south of West Seattle. Completely different types of neighborhoods, and there is geographical separation. Shorewood is even farther south. West Seattle is highly desirable, safe, beautiful, family friendly, residential, and full of cool independent businesses and parks. Your loss if you don't check it out, seriously. Lots of luxury apartments on California Ave and the junctions, particularly Alaska and Admiral junctions.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
White Center is south of West Seattle. Completely different types of neighborhoods, and there is geographical separation. Shorewood is even farther south. West Seattle is highly desirable, safe, beautiful, family friendly, residential, and full of cool independent businesses and parks. Your loss if you don't check it out, seriously. Lots of luxury apartments on California Ave and the junctions, particularly Alaska and Admiral junctions.
Well I won't be able to afford luxury apartments as its just me and my cat that are hopefully moving soon depending on how this job turns out and I rather not really live in the core center of seattle for cost of living reasons. Maybe you can elaborate or draw on what exactly which area IS West Seattle cause I guess I have it totally wrong.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:17 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,833,537 times
Most of the neighborhoods in the South part of Seattle are kinda ghetto, but not so bad like Outer NE/SE Portland or Cali -style ghettos.

I guess the neighborhood is SODO.. Probably not a lot of gangbangers or thugs on street corners, but you will probably struggle with a high amount of property and vehicle crime.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Most of the neighborhoods in the South part of Seattle are kinda ghetto, but not so bad like Outer NE/SE Portland or Cali -style ghettos.

I guess the neighborhood is SODO.. Probably not a lot of gangbangers or thugs on street corners, but you will probably struggle with a high amount of property and vehicle crime.

Thats a complete 180 from what esker and seattle gal have said, so someones info is either wrong or their viewpoint is skewed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area