Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,701 times

Advertisements

My fiancé is in the Navy and we will be requesting he be stationed in Everett for his second tour. We're native San Diegans but love the pacific NW (I spent a lot of time in Portland and Olympia as a kid...). Anyway, we're wondering what area south of Everett that we should live. We wanna be close to Seattle, but my fiancé doesn't wanna spend too much time in traffic.

Basically we wanna live within 20 miles of the base. As we are in our early twenties with no children, we'd like to live somewhere or near a community with a decent nightlife (bars, sports bars, and good food). I will probably be attending graduate school at UW and I would be willing to commute about 45 minutes. Based on this information, what communities would work? Also, the monthly allowance that we will be given for rent, by the military, is about $1600. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 06:44 PM

458 posts, read 958,464 times
The city would be my first suggestion because you will be in grad school at UW and you want all that a city has to offer in terms of nightlife, restaurants, pubs and things to do...It would be a reverse commute for your fiance up to Everett probably no more than 30 minutes from the 80th/85th Street exit in Seattle. My husband does this commute often and very rarely runs into traffic. If the city feels too far I would look in downtown Edmonds and for that matter downtown Everett too....though really the northern exits in Seattle would be a pretty painless commute for him and and a very easy commute for you to UW. Your monthly housing allowance will obviously go much farther out of the city!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:55 PM

309 posts, read 760,246 times
Edmonds, Mukilteo, and Mill Creek are all nice. I like the Edmonds waterfront area the best.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:35 AM

323 posts, read 449,047 times
The morning commute north to Everett on I-5 is okay, but I-5 southbound traffic after about 3pm is usually stop and go starting around Northgate.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 7,701 times
The commute is what we're most worried about. From what I've seen so far, we really like the Edmonds area. mukilteo seems great as well but I think it's a little to far north. Thanks for all the advice!!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:06 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Edmonds, Everett, Mountlake Terrace are all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area