Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 07:32 PM

54 posts, read 123,075 times

Advertisements

I know, I'm planning on moving outta WA, but just a little curious though...why so many Taiwanese in Bellevue?

I'm Asian myself and I live down in Kent. The Asians here in Kent are mostly Souteast Asians with some Chineses, mostly are either from China or Cantonese. I've came up here in Bellevue to fix my lab top some other days and the owner of that store happens to be Taiwanese, and I've spotted at least 3 Taiwanese restaurants on my way. What is it between Taiwanese and Bellevue?

From my observation whenever I come up here in Bellevue, most Oriental Asians here are Taiwanese and Koreans. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 07:34 PM

Also, I've lived San Gabriel Valley down in LA and we got quite a fair share of Taiwaneses there as well. Most of them own big houses. I made friends with some of them and I say that despite them being rich, the way their parents treat them are really bull****, even for Asian standard. I've heard some real horror stories from them and too bad, due to the fact they're from rich families and all that, they're basically not allowed to complain. But that's another topic.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:12 PM

44 posts, read 50,310 times
honey, where have you been ? this is not a new migration pattern for Taiwanese, of really expat Chinese thanks to the US. The immigration pattern is also very evident in British Columbia. Asians have been buying up property in Wa, Vancouver, and Hawaii for 45 years. That's nothing new. It is new that Taiwanese have been flaunting wealth derived from corrupt government, drug trade and manufacturing and shipping (all kinds of things). Just look at the huge presence and influx of Japanese in Hawaii and now in Alaska as well.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:57 PM

Yeah they might be rich and buying up properties in rich neighborhoods and all that like you said. But how come the way they treat their kids are so...wrong? I had Taiwanese friends back in Cali and their upbringings are cruel, even amongst Asians where strict parenting is nothing new. They're not just strict, they're crooked, yes you can use that word to describe. I don't feel jealous at all despite their houses are bigger than mines because I know what's going on inside those mansions.

As for my experience with Taiwaneses, they don't strike me as someone from a country with corrupt government or drug trade. But perhaps because I know only the young ones around my age and don't know any older one on a personal level. Yes they're really clannish, and if you ain't one of them, it takes a long time for them to even talk to you or hit you up to hang out. Also I'm not sure if it's due to their...rather unique parenting (spoiling, sheltering and abusing at the same time.), they are generally childish, scared of their families and clueless about almost everything. For instance, the Taiwanese guy I knew back in Cali, dude doesn't even know what a GED is when I mentioned to him. It's not like he's new immigrant or anything as he's been here since 12. I cannot talk to him about politics, racism...etc as whenever I bring it up he got that clueless look on his face. And girls are usually too cute in a hello kitty way and yes, equally clueless...Taiwanese girls generally reminds me of a Justin Bieber fan except with a more uptight mentality. They reminds me nothing of other fellow Southeast Asians I know, but also different from Koreans or even other Chineses. I don't like them much, but I don't think Taiwan is a country with rampant drug problem and corruption.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:00 AM

578 posts, read 1,294,557 times
King County is going to be an Asian magnet because it harbors some of the best schools in the US.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:07 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylee777 View Post
Yeah they might be rich and buying up properties in rich neighborhoods and all that like you said. But how come the way they treat their kids are so...wrong? I had Taiwanese friends back in Cali and their upbringings are cruel, even amongst Asians where strict parenting is nothing new. They're not just strict, they're crooked, yes you can use that word to describe. I don't feel jealous at all despite their houses are bigger than mines because I know what's going on inside those mansions.

As for my experience with Taiwaneses, they don't strike me as someone from a country with corrupt government or drug trade. But perhaps because I know only the young ones around my age and don't know any older one on a personal level. Yes they're really clannish, and if you ain't one of them, it takes a long time for them to even talk to you or hit you up to hang out. Also I'm not sure if it's due to their...rather unique parenting (spoiling, sheltering and abusing at the same time.), they are generally childish, scared of their families and clueless about almost everything. For instance, the Taiwanese guy I knew back in Cali, dude doesn't even know what a GED is when I mentioned to him. It's not like he's new immigrant or anything as he's been here since 12. I cannot talk to him about politics, racism...etc as whenever I bring it up he got that clueless look on his face. And girls are usually too cute in a hello kitty way and yes, equally clueless...Taiwanese girls generally reminds me of a Justin Bieber fan except with a more uptight mentality. They reminds me nothing of other fellow Southeast Asians I know, but also different from Koreans or even other Chineses. I don't like them much, but I don't think Taiwan is a country with rampant drug problem and corruption.
How do you go from "Why so many Taiwanese in Bellevue?" to "Why they treat their kids cruelly"? The former question is easier to speculate.

Your second question assumes that is fact when it's not. That is actually the question you actually wanted to ask in the first place, wasn't it?

Old 08-25-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
How do you go from "Why so many Taiwanese in Bellevue?" to "Why they treat their kids cruelly"? The former question is easier to speculate.

Your second question assumes that is fact when it's not. That is actually the question you actually wanted to ask in the first place, wasn't it?
Actually both. Ever been to San Gabriel Valley in California? There are many Taiwanese there as well, even though unlike Bellevue where the Asians there are mostly Taiwanese and some Chinese and Koreans. Also the Indians who mostly working for Microsoft. In SGV there are Asians of all nationalities for the most parts, except for places like Rowland Heights which is pretty much Bellevue minus Indians when it comes to the Asian demography.

Rowland Heights and Bellevue both are nice neighborhoods for middle to upper-middle class. Just wondering:

-Why most of Taiwanese are so rich?
-And according to whatchubawdybout, they got rich due to a corrupt government, drug trafficking...etc, when in fact according to my experience with them, they don't seem like they're from a poor country with that sort of problems.
-If they're so rich, why they treat their kids so harsh? I've heard all sort of ****ed up punishment from my Taiwanese friend while growing up, not even just your typical good ol' fashion spanking. They're creative about their ****s...pinching ears, hair pulling, kneeling on dry ice, biting arms, pinching inner thigh (wow.). That's harsh even for Asians where tough parenting are nothing new.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:27 PM

9 posts, read 22,242 times
Wow.

The racism and stereotyping in this thread is epic. I'm assuming the original post is a flame. People on this board are typically more thoughtful and informed than the discourse in this thread.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 PM

427 posts, read 430,850 times
Who cares? Asian is Asian to most people...and even then, who cares? We're all Americans, one race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area