Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 04:38 PM

337 posts, read 494,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBot View Post
Found out Expedia actually migrated their system from .NET to Java They have some .NET openings, but far less than the Java counterpart. I feel like I'd be working with a sinking ship even if I were to land one.
I've worked at Expedia, they are indeed migrating off of the Microsoft stack. They are moving to Java for their web stuff, using DB2 as their main data platform and reporting tools such as Qlikview and Tableau. The company originally started within Microsoft but MS didn't want to be in the travel space so they let it go. The other problem with Expedia is that things change and shift very quickly, the people around me lasted about 1.5 years before they were either forced out or they left for another job. There were also a lot of shake-ups in very senior management. That was my experience.

I do very well here in the Seattle area and i'm on the MS stack as well. There are a lot of jobs if you are open to a variety of things such as contracting/project work, consulting as well as Full-time. The quickest way you'll find work here is if you do vendor/contracting at Microsoft, Amazon or other big companies. The pay is good and you'll typically get benefits however the bennies aren't quite as good as what the FTEs around you get. Still, it can be interesting work. So, I'd try contacting contracting agencies such as TEK Systems, Volt, Aditi, etc just to get going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 08:54 PM

70 posts, read 124,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBot View Post
Seems like I get better response from Portland, OR.

Also very beautiful, but I'm not as familiar of the area. Thoughts?
I've lived in both places. I find it curious that you've had more responses from Portland, as their economy isn't that great. There's only a handful of .NET shops that you can make a good living from. There's more tech out in Hillsboro, but that's in a different county.

Seattle is better city if you're concerned about your long term career prospects. The Seattle dating scene sucks worse than Portland. If you're young, single and into beer and counter-culture, Portland might be more fun.

The Seattle area is better for outdoors activities, but Portland is no slouch either.

Portland has far better food than Seattle, with the exception of seafood and Asian food.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:51 PM

58 posts, read 170,506 times
Sorry to bump an older thread but I was just wondering this same thing! I'm a pretty junior developer though, only been working a couple years. I'm down in Portland right now. I've been looking for something else since the summer but haven't had much luck so now I'm looking to Seattle. I'm not sure how much better things will be but there seems to a lot more .NET postings at least. Especially if I apply at Amazon! Kind of nervous about doing that though, their interviews sound intense, I'm not sure I'd make it through . . . -_-

Old 12-23-2013, 01:35 AM

337 posts, read 494,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaCivet View Post
Sorry to bump an older thread but I was just wondering this same thing! I'm a pretty junior developer though, only been working a couple years. I'm down in Portland right now. I've been looking for something else since the summer but haven't had much luck so now I'm looking to Seattle. I'm not sure how much better things will be but there seems to a lot more .NET postings at least. Especially if I apply at Amazon! Kind of nervous about doing that though, their interviews sound intense, I'm not sure I'd make it through . . . -_-
The interviews at all of the major tech companies are going to be intense and probably long for full-time jobs. Not so intense for contract or vendor work (usually). If you want to get your feet wet with a company up here then contract work isn't a bad way to go and it'll give you more experience. Most allow working remotely so it's theoretical that you could work from Portland a good amount of the time. A junior gig at a consulting firm is another way to go as those are full-time jobs, if you like to wear button-down shirts and dress the part (I freaking don't and refuse to do so anymore).

So being a full-time employee is not the only option for being a developer up here. A lot of folks end up leaving the big companies and going contract/vendor and find that life more enjoyable. Either way, you'll never know if you will or won't make it if you don't try it. I've busted some interviews and absolutely shined in others, just depends on what they are looking for.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:42 AM

58 posts, read 170,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
The interviews at all of the major tech companies are going to be intense and probably long for full-time jobs. Not so intense for contract or vendor work (usually). If you want to get your feet wet with a company up here then contract work isn't a bad way to go and it'll give you more experience. Most allow working remotely so it's theoretical that you could work from Portland a good amount of the time. A junior gig at a consulting firm is another way to go as those are full-time jobs, if you like to wear button-down shirts and dress the part (I freaking don't and refuse to do so anymore).

So being a full-time employee is not the only option for being a developer up here. A lot of folks end up leaving the big companies and going contract/vendor and find that life more enjoyable. Either way, you'll never know if you will or won't make it if you don't try it. I've busted some interviews and absolutely shined in others, just depends on what they are looking for.
True! I need to study more either way. I don't have a CS degree so I'd need to catch up a bit there before I'd have much of a chance I think. I can do it but it'll take some time.

I don't know about contracting, I know they wouldn't relocate me and I don't think I'd be good for remote work at my current skill level.

At this point it's all just kind of a horror to think about, augh. Makes me want to go dig ditches instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area