Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,136 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My Fiance and I have lived in an apartment in West Seattle for the past four years. I absolutely love it! Since we will be married this summer we are starting to think about buying our first house in the next year, 2015. We are thinking 300K for the house. He works in White Center and I work in Belltown (ish). So while I love living close to where I work I just don't think we can afford a house we would like in Seattle area. We don't want to move into a tiny house that needs to be remodeled and no back yard. He's down to move any distance to find a nice completely finished house in the suburbs. I actually really like the the city and would at least like to live in a fun community with good restaurants, bars and is safe. Also my big "deal" is that I don't want an hour plus commute to work, since I did that for several years.

So the question: Any thoughts on neighborhoods or cities we could afford that I would also like to live?
Looking for:
House - 3 bedrooms
Not in need of remodel
yard
Fun restaurants or shops in the city, not necessarily walking distance but not too far.
Budget 300K

Thanks!
Jes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 02:34 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
Why not White Center? Or Georgetown? Or any of the neighborhoods in between?

Or Burien?

Old 04-05-2014, 02:38 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,036 times
What you want will indeed be hard to find, but I think it's doable. You'll get the most for your money by looking south. Burien might be a good place to start your search. I'd also recommend Columbia City and other areas in southeast Seattle.

What's your threshold for safety? Have you lived in another large city before? Are there any areas in the region where you've been that made you feel uncomfortable?

Old 04-05-2014, 03:49 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Burien, absolutely one of the most underrated parts of town!

Old 04-05-2014, 04:34 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Close to your price range in (more like near) Columbia City

5025 S Renton Ave S, Seattle, WA 98118 | MLS# 614568 | Redfin

Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
Keep in mind that what you described as your wants is a list that is pretty much identical to a lot of peoples' want lists. And in this town, it is not uncommon to have properties as you described pull in multiple offers. I'm not a realtor; I was on the market for a while, but it's too hot for me to handle and I'm taking a backseat. You will most likely fare better.

Here is what I would tell you, just from my short experience:

(1) Be ready to move fast. Properties that don't need work, have working utilities, and are close to popular amenities are generally prime targets for all-cash buyers, investors, and other competition. If you like a house, be ready to move on it as soon as you see it. Assume it already has another offer (because it just may have at least one other one).

(2) Based on where you and your partner work, the SW corridor (West Seattle to White Center to Burien) would offer the quickest commute for the both of you. Of those options, Burien is probably the best option (cheap & well-developed). White Center is also a fantastic option, and quickly becoming a hotspot for home buyers.

(3) Be sure to visit anyplace that you want to live, and drive around the block. Check out the block on Google Earth. White Center and Burien have nice blocks and not-so-nice blocks, and the way to figure it out is to visit.

Also, Burien has a very informative website and crime map. White Center is not necessarily part of Seattle (technically, it's unincorporated King County), so you may want to check out Burien's crime map for more detailed info re: White Center and Burien.

Good luck! I hope you find something before the buying season (spring and summer) heats up!

Old 04-05-2014, 09:38 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Something near Old Burien or Seahurst Park in Burien is what comes to mind. Burien's got some very fun restaurants. I think White Center's a fun neighborhood in terms of places to eat and drink, ( A pie bakery, great pizza, microbrewery, great breakfast place) but a little further west is a little quieter/more suburban like...There's a great nursery nearby, Village Green Perennials....Highland Park's pretty hit or miss, some blocks are much nicer than others,and there's a little grocery store/cafe that makes great BBQ sandwiches.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:36 PM

418 posts, read 367,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesbolt View Post
Hi all,

My Fiance and I have lived in an apartment in West Seattle for the past four years. I absolutely love it! Since we will be married this summer we are starting to think about buying our first house in the next year, 2015. We are thinking 300K for the house. He works in White Center and I work in Belltown (ish). So while I love living close to where I work I just don't think we can afford a house we would like in Seattle area. We don't want to move into a tiny house that needs to be remodeled and no back yard. He's down to move any distance to find a nice completely finished house in the suburbs. I actually really like the the city and would at least like to live in a fun community with good restaurants, bars and is safe. Also my big "deal" is that I don't want an hour plus commute to work, since I did that for several years.

So the question: Any thoughts on neighborhoods or cities we could afford that I would also like to live?
Looking for:
House - 3 bedrooms
Not in need of remodel
yard
Fun restaurants or shops in the city, not necessarily walking distance but not too far.
Budget 300K

Thanks!
Jes
Why not continue renting where you want to live and buy when you're ready to move to a more affordable area? Equity can wait (home buying with a mortgage is overrated anyway), quality of life is more important.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:35 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
^
This thread was 3 years old.

Funny though you bumped it up. I just clicked on the Redfin link by tobester above. According to this discussion that house was under $300K 3 years ago. If you click on the link now it's worth $574,646 (!!!)

Old 08-12-2017, 07:54 PM

83 posts, read 94,514 times
It was better to have bought 3% down a few years ago than to save 20% for a proper down payment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area