Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 03:57 PM

32 posts, read 43,344 times

Advertisements

I am in the midst of a planned move to Seattle and wanted some takes on the importance of a garage in the Seattle area. I am a Southern California (Manhattan Beach) native and am somewhat anal with how my cars (babies) are kept. In an ideal world, I will be moving to a house with a three car garage. I really like Seattle proper and realize the dream will likely result in a major compromise in this area. I have noticed there are some two car garage options in some areas such as Magnolia, but the pickings are slim. Are one car garages in Seattle the norm? I have seen first hand the effects of the precipitation levels on unprotected vehicles and the results were not pretty. I am just making my lists of "must haves" and "nice to haves" and am looking at my garage needs. On the surface, this may seem trivial, but this can actually rule out entire broad sections of Seattle neighborhoods for me. I am willing to bend on this issue- possibly even break since I am really drawn to the downtown area where I know parking sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 04:32 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times
Are you looking for a house? Because there aren't really houses in the downtown area at all.

You could rent three parking spaces downtown I suppose, it's just that it would cost a lot.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:33 PM

64 posts, read 83,026 times
We had the same problem. My husband needed garage space for a classic car and a woodwork shop, plus 2 spaces in the driveway for our regular cars. So all we wanted was 2 covered spaces. Really hard to find. The common for Seattle houses are 1 car garage or none, specially in the popular walkable neighborhoods near downtown. Houses are old, small, next to each other.

After 1 year renting and searching for a house to buy we narrowed our options to Magnolia or Kirkland. We lost a few bids in both places but we found our house in Kirkland and we love living there.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:41 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
If you're buying rather than renting, you can always add a garage, if you have the space. I've done it a couple of times.
But yes, within much of the city of Seattle, most of the houses are old. A one car garage was a luxury in the 20's and 30's.
Also, as you get further from the city center, you are more likely to find larger lots with more room for garages.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Are you looking for a house? Because there aren't really houses in the downtown area at all.

You could rent three parking spaces downtown I suppose, it's just that it would cost a lot.
I should specify all of Seattle versus just downtown.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
If you're buying rather than renting, you can always add a garage, if you have the space. I've done it a couple of times.
But yes, within much of the city of Seattle, most of the houses are old. A one car garage was a luxury in the 20's and 30's.
Also, as you get further from the city center, you are more likely to find larger lots with more room for garages.
I have considered this as an option. If the lot size is large enough, why not just build the garage?

Old 04-18-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcatwood View Post
We had the same problem. My husband needed garage space for a classic car and a woodwork shop, plus 2 spaces in the driveway for our regular cars. So all we wanted was 2 covered spaces. Really hard to find. The common for Seattle houses are 1 car garage or none, specially in the popular walkable neighborhoods near downtown. Houses are old, small, next to each other.

After 1 year renting and searching for a house to buy we narrowed our options to Magnolia or Kirkland. We lost a few bids in both places but we found our house in Kirkland and we love living there.
Kirkland is on my preliminary list along with Seattle and Edmunds.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:15 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,855 times
Whenever you look at older homes, you end up with one car and detached garages. Nobody in the 1920's had two or three cars.

You could add one, but lots are small enough in the city. Seattle living is for the urban feel, not creature comforts and luxurious dwellings.

The area east of Market in Kirkland has a feel similar to the South Bay but we decided against it because zoning seems nonexistent over there (we did not miss CA's hodgepodge zoning putting 12 unit apartment buildings in the middle of residential homes, but to each their own.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:05 PM

64 posts, read 83,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX2SEA View Post
Kirkland is on my preliminary list along with Seattle and Edmunds.
Edmonds is really nice too!

Old 04-18-2014, 07:17 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Are you renting, or buying? If you're buying, your agent can seek out properties with sufficient garage space for you. They do exist. In many parts of town, though, you're right--single-car garages are the norm. Newer homes will have a 2-car garage, as will older homes in higher-end neighborhoods. (Laurelhurst, parts of Madrona, for example.)

You're drawn to the downtown area? So you're looking at condos? Usually they provide covered parking space for 2 vehicles. You could also look at Queen Anne, which is close to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area