Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:06 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,892,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Old brick buildings don't survive quakes as well as some other types. I live in Santa Monica, CA, and was here in 1994 for the 6.7 quake. Older brick buildings were more likely to collapse. So if you're house or apartment hunting, it's something to consider.
Yeah, I live in a 1920's brick apartment building in Cap Hill. I've basically accepted my inevitable demise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
worry 9.0 earthquake ? i think the chance dying in traffic accident is much higher.
Absolutely! When you drive, you're basically putting your life in the hands of millions of strangers with the hopes that none of them make any mistakes that result in a crash. Just imagine on a daily business how many people are texting while driving paying absolutely no attention to their surroundings. Then add the people who engage in "highway hypnosis" and simply lose focus while driving. And then add the people who are under the influence of other substances while they drive. And then add the people who have some mental incapacity issues (senility, seizures, etc.) Driving is the most dangerous activity humans daily engage in and yet, ironically, few people have any real sense of fear about getting into a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 01:03 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,383,304 times
Here's a link to an interesting book about the possibility of a 9.0

Amazon.com: Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest eBook: Sandi Doughton: Books

Your library may very well have it.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:25 PM

157 posts, read 306,439 times
Move to Sammamish/Issaquah. Then you will have beachfront property after the 9.0 hits.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:54 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
If a quake that big, or close to it, hits Seattle, wouldn't it affect the Olympic Peninsula as well? Port Townsend, etc.? Because it would be the result of the Juan de Fuca plate hitting the mainland plate, right? I wonder if there's any record of the effects on the Peninsula of earthquakes centered near Seattle.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:38 PM

6,896 posts, read 8,947,279 times
Al qaeda, Isis, Boogeyman may be more concern than 9.0 quake.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:51 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,538,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If a quake that big, or close to it, hits Seattle, wouldn't it affect the Olympic Peninsula as well? Port Townsend, etc.? Because it would be the result of the Juan de Fuca plate hitting the mainland plate, right? I wonder if there's any record of the effects on the Peninsula of earthquakes centered near Seattle.
Lots of former Californians here, even though most are incognito. Earthquake? Been there, done that!

Old 02-04-2015, 11:52 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,885,759 times
Quote:
When the Nisqually earthquake happened, I remember they were saying in the news that it was felt as far down to Utah. That was only what 6.8? A 9 or close to that would definitely be felt up in the OP.

With the OP and earthquakes, you don't generally hear that much in terms of damages, but most likely on the news, you'll hear that they've set up a tsunami alert on the coast (like Port Angeles ).

Old 02-05-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Lots of former Californians here, even though most are incognito. Earthquake? Been there, done that!
I'm a former Californian, too. That's irrelevant to the question I raised, though.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:14 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,538,621 times
Quote:
I'm a former Californian, too. That's irrelevant to the question I raised, though.
Many other issues of more relevance on a daily basis on the Olypen than earthquakes.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
When the Nisqually earthquake happened, I remember they were saying in the news that it was felt as far down to Utah. That was only what 6.8? A 9 or close to that would definitely be felt up in the OP.

With the OP and earthquakes, you don't generally hear that much in terms of damages, but most likely on the news, you'll hear that they've set up a tsunami alert on the coast (like Port Angeles ).
Yes, that was going to be my next question: about potential tsunamis as a result of serious quakes.

People talk about potential liquification happening around downtown, as some of it's built on sand. But that's true all over town. I had property in the north end, east of Northgate, and it was on sand. Think of West Seattle; a good part of that's gotta be on sand. In a big quake, there would be liquification happening all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area