Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 PM

54 posts, read 78,425 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family is considering moving to Seattle. Husband would work for the city in the water dept and earn somewhere between 35-40/hr. I know in seattle is hard to get with that kind of spending ability for a house but we are looking just outside of it. We have a dog too as well as a rabbit and a hamster and are looking to rent. Would these be good areas to have small children in? Also wondering about Tacoma, where to really avoid and where is a good neighborhood? Other places we are considering : Port Orchard, Bremerton, we would love Vashon as well as northern seattle. Hubs needs to be able to take public transit or bike to work in SODO and we would love to keep the commute down to at the most an hour. To note we will be moving from Phoenix and selling our home here.

Last edited by valthenya; 06-06-2014 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: addd info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 12:33 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,728 times
Commuting from Bremerton to SODO will be closer to an hour and a half, and commuting from Port Orchard will take more time than that.

Vashon would be well within the hour limit, but houses are pretty expensive out there.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:34 AM

415 posts, read 490,607 times
The traffic to work in SODO downtown Seattle will break your heart.

Try to find something as close as you can. Even in the city you could find someplace with enough space for the bunny. hamster and dog.

Forget about the islands or the other side of the Sound. You could drive in from Canada or Tacoma in the same time.

Look in the south end along the light rail if he can get to work that way. Buses get stuck in traffic more than the rail.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:05 AM

Whats the best method to find rental housing in that area? I've looked at Zillow and Craigslist. It seems most are either A. Fake or B. really really expensive.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:14 AM

Be ready to drive around in the neighborhoods where you want to live and look for "for rent" signs.

There is a significant portion of housing stock (at least 30%) that will not show up on the internet. The main reason I have heard for this is that many landlords up here value being able to meet and assess potential tenants in person. Also, it's less work (for them).

Old 06-09-2014, 06:05 PM

458 posts, read 958,034 times
Your husband will always be commuting the further you go and quality of life, which in my opinion is so important, diminishes greatly in relation to commute time especially here.

Our traffic really is as bad as you have heard. I would stick to the mainland and look, if possible, in the city in neighborhoods such as Greenwood, Broadview, West Seattle, Crown Hill, Victory Heights...or just outside of the city in Shoreline, parts of Edmonds and Burien.

If your in the city your husband can most definitely bike to work...if he is working in SODO, being on the Sounder commuter train line would be ideal and allow you to push further out of the city.

I don't know how old your children are but school districts vary in our area so keep that in mind when looking too.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:26 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,333 times
My wife takes the 102 bus from SoDo to Renton three days a week (I drive her the rest of the time), and the ride takes about 45 to 50 minutes. Inbound would probably be about the same. Renton is one of the south suburbs, comparable to places like Burien -- costs about the same, and it's nice but nothing flashy. Both working-class suburbs, with a few sketchy areas, but for the most part perfectly safe. We have a 2-year-old and she has a nice, clean, quiet neighborhood to play in here.

Your best bet if the hub needs public transit is to look for a place near the light rail. I'd consider Tukwilia or SeaTac, near International Boulevard. You'll find apartments out that way, but a house might be a little more of a challenge. The light rail has a SoDo stop, so that would probably work out well for you.

Sounder train is definitely an option, if you want to look farther out. It stops in SoDo, too. I don't know much about the Tacoma area, so I can't offer any tips there. Same with northern Seattle.

I'd write off Bremerton or anywhere in the Kitsap Peninsula. Commute would be way too long. As for Vashon, I absolutely love it out there and would have liked to move to the island, but I think having to take a car ferry every day would get tedious, not to mention expensive (around $18 every round trip, if I recall).

Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 PM

School districts are not important since we homeschool. Neighborhood, crime etc are more important. Price of public transit isn't that important either since he'd be biking onto a ferry or bus or train and using a ORCA pass that he would get from work (free or close to it). We would really need a home since we have a dog (she's 13 and cant do stairs very well). Is Tukwila actually a safe area? I saw a lot of crime on city-data's page on it.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 PM

Stay away from the area immediately around Southcenter. Stay away from the area closest to Skyway. There are pretty quiet parts of Tukwila, and I'd recommend giving the place a chance.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:33 PM

By the way, Burien may be a slightly better choice since schools aren't important. Hwy 509 goes directly into the area where you would be working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area