Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 12:38 PM

225 posts, read 383,078 times

Advertisements

I just realized that my husband wants to keep our 2002 car, (155,000 miles currently) and drive it out to Seattle when we move next Spring. I had the thought of selling our vehicle, flying everyone out one way, and purchasing an inexpensive replacement car sometime after we move.

It is 2785 miles to Seattle, and it would take 5 days driving 557 miles per day. We are a family of five. I have done the math, and it would be cheaper to fly by $250.

I also think it would be a miserable trip, with 2 young adult kids, and one 12 yr old. One day of 8 hours of driving in that small car sounds like punishment, let alone 5 consecutive days of that. It MIGHT be cool, if he were the type to drive the most scenic route to "see the sights" along the way. But, he is focused on "getting there", and stopping would be minimal.

Also, I would be concerned about weather at that time of year. Not sure what the best route would be to avoid any snow, or foul weather. I am sure whatever route we take would take us through some un- populated areas. What if the car breaks down? It has been a workhorse of a car so far, but, right now, I am praying that it makes it to April without any major mechanical issues that would require a large cash infusion.

I guess I am looking for advice on:

1. How to plan for the trip if we can not convince him of my idea. (what website would give alternate routes) Anyone done the long distance drive at that time of year? What can we expect as far as weather?

2. Thoughts on what might our best plan (way) to move our family? By the way, we will have no furniture, only 14 large boxes to ship. Plus whatever fits in luggage (or the car trunk).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 01:36 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Are you implying four or five people in such a car (small sedan), for five road-days? Long days? That would be like stuffing clowns in a VW Beetle, or frat boys in a phone booth: sounds funny, until you actually try it. By day three you'd be doing the Beverly Hillbillies thing, with one hanging on the roof in a rocking chair and other in the trunk, rumble seat-style.

There isn't any way to pack five days of supplies in such a thing, too, for 4-5 people. Assuming it doesn't overheat on a grade or smoke brakes down the other side.

Personally, I'd do that in 3 days, not five, but I'm a bit crazy once I get going. Must be a male gene, the "get the drive done" thing. 1,000 mile days are candy. That many people, not a chance in hell.

Weather may be friendly, it may be very dodgy. Hence the phrase, "April Showers Make May Flowers." I would bet the store on nothing, as far as that goes, though odds-are you'll be fine arcing a bit west and then north. There is no rock-solid answer to that question, or anything else involving weather. I keep the big drives to May and September, personally, thus "usually" avoiding too hot or too cold across much of the U.S. Sometimes I win, others not (got rained-on end of May this year).

Using IRS mileage rate, a generic formulate that theoretically includes fuel cost, depreciation, and more in one number, I come up with 23.5 cents/mile for medical or moving purposes, or $655 in expenses/depreciation en route. If your calculation is more-complete, power to you.

Probably a bit easier for y'all to take Amtrak or a flight via Mobile, leaving one hardy soul to drive that beaut out to Seattle. Not everyone. Having it hauled is probably the best move (least expensive, depending what your time is worth), though I'm guessing that's $800 and the car is worth maybe $3K on the open market? "Does not compute."

But in the end, you could look at it this way: I once had a professional peer from Kenya. He took one look at a sedan not terribly bigger than a Prizm, one day, and said, "Where I am from, such a vehicle can comfortably seat 11!" So it really depends on your perspective and pain-threshold, after all is said and done.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:01 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
Hubby drives with any kids who want the adventure, everyone else flies

Old 09-12-2014, 07:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Hubby drives with any kids who want the adventure, everyone else flies
I agree, that's a good compromise. Even if the car holds up it could well be an adventure crossing the mountains depending on when you go. It's common to get snow in the Rockies and Sierras in April, even in the Cascades some years. I have seen it snow in June through Montana and Wyoming. Taking a southern route through Texas, New Mexico and Las Vegas into southern California and up I5 will take longer but you will only have to worry about the Northern Califiornia/Southern Oregon passes. We went through those this past April and had snow at the summit of the Siskiyous but it wasn't sticking. As for the car, with that model and mileage it's a gamble. It could be fine or it could conk out. I would definitely have a good mechanic go over it and start off with fresh oil and everything else verified to be in good shape when you start. Also, carry a few bottles of oil with you, and check it every time you get gas. It may burn some doing that many freeway miles. I have a friend with one that's at 180,000 and no problems but she would not attempt such a long trip, it's just a 15 mile commuter.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:13 PM

347 posts, read 669,792 times
I dunno, if I were your husband I'd see that as a good excuse to buy a newer car - wife approved. Makes me think he has some sort of attachment to your current car, some guys tend to do that, especially if it was their first car. Either that or he doesn't want the hassle of shuttling kids through an airport...I don't even like shuttling myself through an airport.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:06 PM

225 posts, read 383,078 times
Yes, we hate to fly..BUT a 6 hr flight vs. 41 hours in a cramped car. To me, there isn't even a question as to which one I would rather do.

I WOULD like to see the United States on our way, however, the highways tend to be boring. We would have to take secondary roads to really get the feel of the areas we are passing through. Hence, an even LONGER trip! AAGH!

Is anyone a AAA member? When I was a kid, I remember my mom going to AAA to get triptiks. The AAA lady would highlight the route we should take. It was always fun to "flip" to the next page on our trip. Of course, we had a Suburban pulling a trailer. My sister and I had plenty of space to spread out. So, does AAA still offer this service? It seems kind of antiquated now with the internet and computers. Just curious.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Yes, I'm a member and they still do the TripTiks, but I haven't used one in many years. The tour books are still handy but I used to have a Garmin, now just use the smartphone connected to the car by bluetooth. On that trip the data charges would get you for sure. I used a TripTik in 1971 when I drove from San Francisco north through Washington, east to the New England states and up to eastern Canada, down to Florida and back through the south. It was 18,000 miles in 10 weeks, in a 1964 Buick Skylark Wagon and cost $500 for gas at 25-30 cents a gallon. We hit over 40 states, and will never forget the experience, but you have to take time to explore along the way to get much out of it.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:23 AM

595 posts, read 2,703,170 times
I disagree that you would need to see the country via secondary roads. You see lots of gorgeous scenery from the Interstates as well. I even thought parts of Western Kansas had their austere beauty. We drove from St. Louis to Seattle last summer in about 4 days. We had both of our cars (newer models) and we split the kids so we each had one. I would tell him that taking it a little slower is advisable for EVERYONE involved. I understand wanting to get there quickly as well, but if he's set on driving going pell mell it is likely to set you up for some issues at some point.

I would honestly advise to see about getting a new car to make the trip though. That is an old car and I would be VERY hesitant to drive it cross country like that. Just because it's a workhorse on the day to day local, doesn't mean it'll pass muster across the country with continuous driving. Might cost you significantly more if it breaks down in the middle of nowhere. As to weather, I would recommend the southern route vs the north route. You would only need to worry about the passes in Cali then.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:14 PM

347 posts, read 669,792 times
I was just cooking dinner when I started whistling an old 50s song. For someone my age, 29, that's a somewhat odd occurrence but it dawned on me while I was whistling where I had heard that song: a roadtrip with my family. My family took maybe half a dozen road trips when I was a kid...they were all for family reunions or funerals, neither of which I considered entertaining prospects (I'm somewhat insular so an extended family reunion is on the same level as funeral...weird I know). However, those days we spent on the road are some of the clearest memories of my childhood...I don't know if I'd call them "happy" memories...but they weren't sad memories either...I can only call them formative.

So the reason for saying this is...don't rule out the drive just yet. Sure, it's probably going to be a long, boring drive for the most part but you could be creating some unique memories for your children that will stick with them for the rest of their lives. Of course I imagine this depends on the family.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:35 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I've done the cross country drive a few times. The last time was six years ago, and was just me, my wife, and the dog. If you had the time, and a much larger vehicle, it could be a fun trip. A 2002 Geo Prizm with 155,000 miles on it? It's probably a great car, very similar to a Corolla. But there's no real reason to do the trip. How about you all fly out here, shipping the boxes via Fed Ex ( they're supposed to be relatively inexpensive for that), and then when you get out here, you can seek out a 2002 Geo Prizm, if that's your thing.
Also, I think there are still driveaway services out there, where somebody drives the car out for you.
But yeah: Two adults, two young adult kids, and a twelve year old in a Geo Prizm crossing the country? I'd need some kind of major prescription drug to get through that. Hopefully your husband will come to his senses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: