Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:24 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,233 times

Advertisements

Seattle residents could start getting small fines next year for putting too much compostable material into the trash.

The Seattle City Council passed a new ordinance Monday that could mean $1 fines for people who toss too many table scraps into the trash.
Under current Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) rules, people living in single-family homes are encouraged but not required to dispose of food waste and compostable paper products in compost bins.
Apartment buildings must have compost bins available, but residents of apartment buildings aren’t required to use them.
And businesses aren’t subject to any composting requirements.
Under the new rules, collectors can take a cursory look each time they dump trash into a garbage truck.
If they see compostable items make up 10 percent or more of the trash, they’ll enter the violation into a computer system their trucks already carry, and will leave a ticket on the garbage bin that says to expect a $1 fine on the next garbage bill.
Apartment buildings and businesses will be subject to the same 10 percent threshold but will get two warnings before they are fined. A third violation will result in a $50 fine. Dumpsters there will be checked by inspectors on a random basis.
Collectors will begin tagging garbage bins and Dumpsters with educational tickets starting Jan. 1 when they find violations. But fines won’t start until July 1.

More: Seattle OKs $1 fine for adding too much food to garbage bins | Local News | The Seattle Times

What is your opinion on this? Good? Bad? Government over-reach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 01:28 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
Seattle residents could start getting small fines next year for putting too much compostable material into the trash.

The Seattle City Council passed a new ordinance Monday that could mean $1 fines for people who toss too many table scraps into the trash.
Under current Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) rules, people living in single-family homes are encouraged but not required to dispose of food waste and compostable paper products in compost bins.
Apartment buildings must have compost bins available, but residents of apartment buildings aren’t required to use them.
And businesses aren’t subject to any composting requirements.
Under the new rules, collectors can take a cursory look each time they dump trash into a garbage truck.
If they see compostable items make up 10 percent or more of the trash, they’ll enter the violation into a computer system their trucks already carry, and will leave a ticket on the garbage bin that says to expect a $1 fine on the next garbage bill.
Apartment buildings and businesses will be subject to the same 10 percent threshold but will get two warnings before they are fined. A third violation will result in a $50 fine. Dumpsters there will be checked by inspectors on a random basis.
Collectors will begin tagging garbage bins and Dumpsters with educational tickets starting Jan. 1 when they find violations. But fines won’t start until July 1.

More: Seattle OKs $1 fine for adding too much food to garbage bins | Local News | The Seattle Times

What is your opinion on this? Good? Bad? Government over-reach?
Government overreach. I'm all in favor of separating food waste and compost. I do it. But when a government hires Dumpster Inspectors...? What's next? Asking people to snitch on their neighbors?

Old 09-25-2014, 01:44 PM

33 posts, read 35,840 times
I don't see what the big deal here is. The fine is minimal and has good intentions. "Certain" people find the need get up in arms anytime the government is involved.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:52 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
So if I have more than 10% of compostable stuff in my trash can I need to add more trash to bring the percentage down.

Got it.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I agree that it's too much, but the problem is that the city contracts with collection companies who may be at some point fined by the county when they dump recyclables into the landfill pile at the transfer stations. This has been a big problem in Vancouver, BC (I read the Vancouver Sun regularly). Our service does not require a food waste/yard container, it's available but for an additional charge and it's only collected every other week in winter.

Metro fines trash haulers more than $450,000 for banned recyclables

Old 09-25-2014, 03:25 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Government overreach. I'm all in favor of separating food waste and compost. I do it. But when a government hires Dumpster Inspectors...? What's next? Asking people to snitch on their neighbors?
Should we do it like in Jersey, where private companies collect the garbage and break peoples legs if there's too much compost in the trash?

Old 09-25-2014, 04:49 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,728 times
Quote:
I'm kind of surprised at the lack of knowledge of municipal codes regarding solid waste pickup. So, here's a brief education.

1) The city reserves the right to "determine the disposition" of your trash. See Seattle Municipal Code 21.36.095: Seattle Municipal Code

2) The method by which the city is inspecting the compost is pretty much identical to the system set up to enforce recycling ... the only difference is that the fine is a whole lot less. Basically, the contractors that pick up the garbage can also inspect the garbage. They don't inspect everyone's garbage, but if the composition looks "off", they can leave a note letting the homeowner know. Pickup can be refused by the contractor if the composition of the garbage has too many recyclables or, now, compost.

3) The director of SPU can have his authority backed up by the Chief of Police, among others: Seattle Municipal Code

4) If you want to know the costs of the solid waste pickup in Seattle, I strongly suggest you check out SMC 20.40.050: Seattle Municipal Code

SPU and the City of Seattle regularly has meetings regarding these issues, and I strongly suggest that if you are interested, then get involved! Policy won't change until people have their say.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:53 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
So the take away from this is that if you aren't sure if something is recyclable or compostable is to put it one of those bins instead of putting it in your trash can. There's no fine (yet) for trash in your compost or recycling bin.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:56 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times
One more reason I am glad I don't live in Seattle proper. It's idiotic! Food waste breaks down, so it's not something that is going to fill up landfills and take up that space forever! It's the least of our worries for what is going in the trash cans. And how is this exact- what if food waste only takes truly 8% of your volume but the inspector thinks it looks like 10% or so?

I'm all for fines for throwing away recyclable items like plastic, glass, etc. because those items do clog up landfills and never break down, but going after food waste is just ridiculous.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
WA has been ahead of you on this for over 20 yrs. "WSP incentive to snitch on neighbors who have out-of-state licensed vehicles". (You can even report out-of-state purchases that may be avoiding WA DOR sales tax.) This is all encouraged by WA State, and an accepted practice for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area