Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 09:43 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,155,857 times

Advertisements

It says Seattle Center or downtown, not the same. Philadelphia has Center City. Also, many small towns in Washington have signs city center. Does that make them European?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 09:58 AM

548 posts, read 817,769 times
Those musicians aren't the first to say it; I've seen European journalists write the same thing -- both about Portland and Seattle.

I think they all are focussing very much on downtown SEA or PDX, and not their suburbs, which are a lot like suburbs anywhere in the US. The one sort of exception is that Portland especially, but Seattle too, tend to draw sharper lines around where subdivisions stop and where undeveloped land starts than most US cities, but more like EUropean cities. Flying over Germany you see very dense, compact suburban clusters with sharp lines past which farm or forest land begins. But that's a subtle thing you only really notice from flying in or out of town, if you're paying attention.

Downtown, I think they mean that SEA (and PDX, and SFO) have central city areas that are walkable, mixed use, that are neither derelict nor that become totally empty of people at night or weekends -- i.e., popular for shopping and entertainment, not just 9-5 businesses. And streetcars, which are common in Europe but rare in the US (even the Eastern cities with subways like NYC, Chicago, Boston have few or no street-level trams). And areas of low multi-story buildings, like five stories, which is how most European central cities look. In some newer US cities it seems like you go straight from a few downtown skyscrapers to one-story sprawl -- and Manhattan feels like nothing but hi-rise.

Why SEA more Euro than Boston or Philly (NYC is kinda unique)? Don't know, I'd generally say Boston is way more European. In addition to the streetcars I think SEA (and SFO and PDX) do better at mixing plazas and pedestrian shopping streets and urban greenspace in the central cities as in Europe. Boston has the dense old downtown streets but isn't so good at the cute plazas and fountains and stuff. That said, Boston still seems at lot more European-like than Seattle.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:21 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,533,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
It says Seattle Center or downtown, not the same. Philadelphia has Center City. Also, many small towns in Washington have signs city center. Does that make them European?
I swear I have seen city center around. I will post location next time I see. It doesn't make it European but it reminds of Europe. Also the way homes are built up into the hills...reminds me of places in Italy and Austria....not exactly the same but brings back memories. Pike Place Market is special here...in Europe there are markets like that everywhere. The urban villages here seem similar also. I have lived in many US cities and spent a lot of time in Europe over the years so in my opinion Seattle has a more European feel. Of course everyone has a different opinion and everyone has had different experiences.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:40 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,206,133 times
Maybe they were just confusing Leavenworth for Seattle.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:10 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,533,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Maybe they were just confusing Leavenworth for Seattle.
They weren't but I should have taken them!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:18 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,206,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
They weren't but I should have taken them!
When I come up for Christmas I always make it a point to take my GF over there since she loves the "festiveness" of the little town, plus we have never had a "white Christmas" where we are so Leavenworth ticks all the boxes. It can be down near single digits during the day and close to zero at night (not too common, but it happens) around that time, with snow, but I think that just adds to the effect, plus they have a good brewery.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:25 AM

30,583 posts, read 19,319,171 times
I don't think Seattle is like Europe except that the climate has some similarities. Europeans are arrogant and express their arrogantness and rudeness while Seattlites may be arrogant but they keep it to themselves pretty much and they aren't rude.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:51 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,977,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Europeans are arrogant...
I see. Tell me more of these continent-based personality traits, please. What are Africans like? How about South Americans? Australians? I'm positively dying for you to grace this board with more of this interesting information.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:02 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,682,012 times
Seattle is more European than most US cities, but nowhere near as much as San Fransisco. The streets are too straight and predictable, the buildings aren't interesting enough, the public transport is awful.

Yes, EMP is an ugly building.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:29 PM

548 posts, read 817,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Yes, EMP is an ugly building.

Europe has had plenty of horrible Gehry buildings inflicted on it too, so there's a commonality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area