Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:33 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,313 times

Advertisements

I just found out that the majority of the football games in Seattle are played in rain. Why didn't they build a doomed stadium when they replaced the doomed King Doom? It seems so logical for a city with such a rainy climate.

Did the City officals make the decision get rain in their brain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 05:19 AM

72 posts, read 300,368 times
They used to. I love football in "real" football weather, so I'm biased. And I'm from New England, where we play in snow, sleet, driving rain, blizzards, you name it. Also, other harsh weather cities like Buffalo, Chicago, Cleveland, and Green Bay all have outdoor stadia. Seattle drizzle is hardly tough weather to play or watch a game in.

The key to enjoying anything in any weather is to prepare and dress appropriately. I've both played and watched football in near white-out blizzard conditions, and loved every minute of it.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:27 AM

712 posts, read 1,366,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I just found out that the majority of the football games in Seattle are played in rain. Why didn't they build a doomed stadium when they replaced the doomed King Doom? It seems so logical for a city with such a rainy climate.

Did the City officals make the decision get rain in their brain?
Poor design of Stadiums:
It is a prime example of how badly planned Seattle is. It doesnt stop with 2 giant stadiums next door to each other in probably the worst part of dowtown (an area called SODO filled with crime).

Oh no, it gets much better.

Bad roads everywhere:

Most of the roads here use cardinal numbers. Meaning there are numbers like 101st SW BUT wait there is also a SW 101 st. Who was the braniac behind that? After a while you figure out some are North-South others are East-West... WOW. But why did they have to give almost every single street numerical names?

Dont get me wrong, if numbering streets is done right, like in NYC, you dont need map. NYC is well organized. But you cant really use that method for roads that wrap around mountains and twist and turn every which way. What's funny is that the normal straight, roads that do exist in downtown are SO filled with pot holes everywhere that it tears up your car.

Entire City built on fault line
Look up the Seattle Fault line. This is just too much. LOL.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:51 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
It wasn't the city officials that demanded open-air stadia - it was the corporate ownership of the businesses that work in them.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:36 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
I remember Paul Allen saying that it was a "must" to be an open-air stadium. And if it weren't, fans wouldn't have one of the best views than from any other NFL stadium.

Football, unlike baseball, is meant to be played in the "elements" ...look at the elements that happened in Green Bay Saturday. How boring it would have been if that game were to have been played in a dome.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:40 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,313 times
Default Paul Allen and other corporate big shots are inside in suites

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I remember Paul Allen saying that it was a "must" to be an open-air stadium. And if it weren't, fans wouldn't have one of the best views than from any other NFL stadium.
I am sure the corporate elites who pushed for an outdoor statium in rainy Seattle, are all sitting in their owners box in dry 72 degree comfort eating good food and drinking up a storm. The rest of the little people are sitting in the rain. I would rather dress up warm in Green Bay in 20 degrees- than sit in a 35 degree rainstorm in Seattle.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:41 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Now THAT I agree with, questioner. I've been know to express here how much I dislike 35-45 degrees and rain ...one of the main reasons I moved from the Seattle area.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:00 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
75% of the seats are covered. It didn't rain at a home game until 3 years after the stadium opened- look it up. I have been to 5 games at Qwest since it opened, and I have been rained on once. If it is so miserable, why does every single game sell out? SODO is not filled with crime, that is a laughable statement. There are hardly any potholes downtown. At least be truthful with your criticisms.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:07 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
That's correct about home games. In fact more Seahawk home games have been played without any rain. Besides I hate domed stadiums. Football should be played outside. Negotiator, you have it all wrong.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:26 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
The bigger question is why was there a new stadium built at all - when it was voted against by the residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area