Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:46 AM

127 posts, read 165,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I think the word you're seeking is "omniscience" (all-knowing), rather than "omnipresence" (all-present, i.e. present everywhere).

Yet even then, the phrase "all knowing omniscience," while using the correct word, would still suffer from redundancy.

I would simply say, "I bow to your omniscience."
maybe slight redundancy but I did mean omnipresence as our know-it-all poster also seems to be everywhere and have talked to every single person in Seattle. That requires omnipresence. He's an impressive specimen for a tr.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 11:51 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,787,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
About half of Seattlites are transplants. I don't get the point of this

Transplants are about as responsible for the Seattle Freeze as born locals.
I'm sure it goes in phases. The initial "I'm new and ready to mingle" phase to the next phase of "WTF is going on here" lol. Initially when you move to lets say Seattle you are new and looking to meet new people. After probably 4+ months you figure out that Seattle isn't a good place to meet people so I assume those people say f'it and join the Seattle Freeze (phase 2). My point is with the Meetup you can meet people while they are still in that initial phase before they get pissed off at the social scene and go underground in phase 2 because Im sure a transition had to happen from phase 1 to phase 2. Basically you got to catch the newbies and snatch them up before they get they indulged to the real Seattle culture

Last edited by afdinatl; 10-16-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 12:23 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
The 'Seattle freeze' doesn't actually exist. It's no harder or easier to make friends in Seattle than it is in Chicago, Atlanta, Boston, Miami etc.

What does exist is the simple fact that it's hard to make friends as an adult.

Wanna make friends? Get a 2nd job in a kitchen working nights. It's usually a bunch of dudes and they usually go out drinking afterwards. Buy the first round, Insta-friends.
Other than the fact that everything you said was wrong, you have a great post.

My S/O and I had a bear of a time building a social circle when we came back up this way. I mean, it literally took years - and the reality is what we ended up doing was STARTING a social circle and drawing people in, because trying to individually meet others outside of that of the street we live on or get ingrained in other circles was just an exercise in futility. These people we initially drew in had similar experiences to ours, which was actually our bonding catalyst. It wasn't until we had networked ourselves to the point that we were connected with local celebrities, restauranteurs, and other "useful contacts" that freeze-loving locals really deigned to try to actively befriend us (i.e. a coworker would see a picture of us at a barbecue with a couple of Seahawks, or one of the area's celebrity-type chefs would come to our table to talk to us specifically for awhile or something). In an ironic twist, we then had to freeze those people out because c'mon, really? Introversion plays a big role up here, but the larger issue is people up here seem to only feel anyone else is worth getting to know if that person can open some sort of door for them, get them an "in" somewhere, or knows a secret handshake that individual really wants to acquire. The short of it is people up here are stereotypically VERY aloof as it pertains to what they THINK their social currency is worth vs. what it actually is, and we've had to cycle out a LOT of individuals whom were just looking to social climb (which also folds into Seattle's other dirty secret, that being people who love to RSVP for all sorts of things and then not show up to most of them because they quadruple book themselves and on the day of decide which thing will most elevate them).

Meanwhile, I can't remember the last time we took a long weekend to Vegas or New York or LA or something and didn't come home with another person in our Facebook feeds and a contact number in our phones.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

Meanwhile, I can't remember the last time we took a long weekend to Vegas or New York or LA or something and didn't come home with another person in our Facebook feeds and a contact number in our phones.
Let's face it though. That always happens when you visit a swingers club in a big town like those when on vacation

Old 10-16-2015, 01:24 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,334,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
Don't get me wrong. I like when people are able to mind their own business and stay to themselves, something that people from the South seem constitutionally incapable of doing.

But in Seattle, it seems as though no one ever wants to be bothered with anything that's outside of their little self-centered stuck up world.... Not the store clerk, not the bus driver, not your waitress, not the ticketing person at the movies.... No one. They can't seem to step outside of their little Seattle Freeze, miserable, and depressed mentality even when it comes to doing their job.

Maybe they're subconsciously (or maybe consciously) venting their frustration with life. I mean, I would be frustrated too if I had to constantly convince myself that I wasn't overpaying for everything and that the city I was stuck in was actually a good place to live and worth all the expense, traffic, and rude people....

The really sad thing is when you come across someone who might actually be interested in getting to know you...but both of you are so jaded from the Freeze that you just assume that the other person wants nothing to do with you. And neither of you are going to try because you are afraid of negative reaction, which you've probably experienced too many times in Seattle from trying to interact with the robots out there. Everyone is scared of offending others, so they can't say anything meaningful.

Last edited by skidamarink; 10-16-2015 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
The really sad thing is when you come across someone who might actually be interested in getting to know you...but both of you are so jaded from the Freeze that you just assume that the other person wants nothing to do with you. And neither of you are going to try because you are afraid of negative reaction, which you've probably experienced too many times in Seattle from trying to interact with the robots out there. Everyone is scared of offending others, so they can't say anything meaningful.
I think your post just kind of sums up perfectly what a sad human being you are. Nothing more needs to be said

Old 10-16-2015, 02:19 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,614,945 times
Quote:

My S/O and I had a bear of a time building a social circle when we came back up this way. I mean, it literally took years - and the reality is what we ended up doing was STARTING a social circle and drawing people in, because trying to individually meet others outside of that of the street we live on or get ingrained in other circles was just an exercise in futility. These people we initially drew in had similar experiences to ours, which was actually our bonding catalyst. It wasn't until we had networked ourselves to the point that we were connected with local celebrities, restauranteurs, and other "useful contacts" that freeze-loving locals really deigned to try to actively befriend us (i.e. a coworker would see a picture of us at a barbecue with a couple of Seahawks, or one of the area's celebrity-type chefs would come to our table to talk to us specifically for awhile or something). In an ironic twist, we then had to freeze those people out because c'mon, really? Introversion plays a big role up here, but the larger issue is people up here seem to only feel anyone else is worth getting to know if that person can open some sort of door for them, get them an "in" somewhere, or knows a secret handshake that individual really wants to acquire. The short of it is people up here are stereotypically VERY aloof as it pertains to what they THINK their social currency is worth vs. what it actually is, and we've had to cycle out a LOT of individuals whom were just looking to social climb (which also folds into Seattle's other dirty secret, that being people who love to RSVP for all sorts of things and then not show up to most of them because they quadruple book themselves and on the day of decide which thing will most elevate them).

It took years before you were invited to cookouts with the seahawk players and hanging out with local celebrities?

Yeah it only takes a few days to do that in Chicago, Boston and miami.

Laughing out loud at everything you wrote in that wall of text.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:43 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,165,493 times
Another interesting and odd trait of the hyper intelligent, and lets face it we have buckets full moving in every month, is that they have an extremely high opinion of themselves (regardless of their looks). They can be very exclusionary in that fact that they don't enjoy dealing with people that are not on the same intellectual level that they are on. So they really paint themselves into a corner whether they realize it or not.

This describes many a male programmer here in Seattle. Instead of finding a girlfriend, they'll go out and buy a fast motorcycle to get their thrills. They form bonds well with other programmers but that's about it. These guys are usually either MGTOW (Men go their own way) or seriously considering it.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:01 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:

I have such a hard time believing your posts when this was your first post on CD five years ago:

Quote:
Greetings,

So I lived in Seattle for 2 years from 1999-2001. Have spent the last 9 years regretting I left. I'm pondering making the move back up that way, but am not sure how strong the job market is for IT people these days.

I'm on the network and systems administration side of the field as opposed to the programming/development/DBA territory. I see quite a number of jobs on the various boards, but obviously I have no way of knowing if there are 3 or 300 people applying to each one of those positions.

My background isn't in huge enterprise level corporations, so I doubt Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing or Nintendo would want to look at me. Small and mid-sized businesses are probably where my fate lies.

How's the market? Is it still pretty short supply and high demand like it used to be, or is it saturated?
You started out five years ago living in Portland/Beaverton with a grudge against Intel, looking for a Sys Admin job and describing yourself with little enterprise background. Now, you say people only befriend you because they saw you in a photo with a couple of Seahawks, a celebrity chef, I think you mentioned Gates at one point. It just seems odd.

Then two months later you say:

Quote:
Back when I worked for Microsoft about a decade ago
I could go on...

Last edited by Seacove; 10-16-2015 at 04:00 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 03:02 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
It took years before you were invited to cookouts with the seahawk players and hanging out with local celebrities?

Yeah it only takes a few days to do that in Chicago, Boston and miami.

Laughing out loud at everything you wrote in that wall of text.
Read his first posts from five years ago.

Last edited by Seacove; 10-16-2015 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area