Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 06:38 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

[url=http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/mayor-county-exec-declare-state-of-emergency-over-homelessness/]Mayor, county exec declare[/url]

What do you guys think of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 08:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I have been taking the bus to Westlake and walking through the Market to my job on the waterfront for 6 years. There definitely is an increase of homeless in certain areas this year, though I cannot say that they just didn't move from another part of the city. The 3rd-4th-Pine-Pike area doorways seem to have fewer since they took steps to reduce the drug dealing, but there are far more now, some even in tents along 4th Avenue between Washington and Jefferson. Just in the last week many tents have popped up along the Express ramps to I90 Eastbound. Something should have been done about this problem long ago, hopefully something will come of this.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:59 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
I witness junkies shooting up heroine in broad daylight on the busy streets of Cap Hill almost every week. While it's easy enough to just ignore these people, it's very obvious to everyone that drug addicts are all over the place. Mayor Murray himself says that heroine is the primary cause to Seattle's homeless.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:25 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Despicable, that this blatant problem exists in a city as financially successful as Seattle. Perhaps easy for me to say but it seems like if 5 or 10 very wealthy and influential people in this town got focused with resources and a plan, we'd be on our way to a solution in no time.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:14 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,771 times
Mr. Billionaire gates could sure help! But nope I guess he's more concerned about people in other countries! I wonder why Steve ballmer, Paul Allen or jef bezos don't care either? I feel bad for the innocent homeless. It's also sorta uncomfortable walking by crowds of them. But I'm glad the government might help!

Old 11-03-2015, 03:03 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Despicable, that this blatant problem exists in a city as financially successful as Seattle. Perhaps easy for me to say but it seems like if 5 or 10 very wealthy and influential people in this town got focused with resources and a plan, we'd be on our way to a solution in no time.
I don't think it's that simple. Yes, if they built a wall around the city to keep other homeless people from coming in they probably could do something meaningful for the homeless already there. Therein lies the problem. The better you take care of the homeless, the easier you make it for them, the more that will show up.

This is one of those problems that just isn't easy to solve. You know "something" needs to be done, but finding the perfect "something" is elusive. Even countries with excellent social safety nets have homeless in all of their big cities. Nobody has cracked the code yet.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:11 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
I used to joke about all the camping gear.. REI always has a means of reducing unwanted inventory

I honestly can't even comment about this, but I did want opinions and responses here are reflective of my views. Most everyone identifies the problem, but possible solutions are resource intensive and ongoing.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:32 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
There's no easy solution to solving the mental issues or drug addictions to hundreds of lost souls, let alone to provide an area for these people to sleep.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:51 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,081,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Mr. Billionaire gates could sure help! But nope I guess he's more concerned about people in other countries! I wonder why Steve ballmer, Paul Allen or jef bezos don't care either? I feel bad for the innocent homeless. It's also sorta uncomfortable walking by crowds of them. But I'm glad the government might help!
The Gates Foundation has been among the leaders in combating homelessness in our city. If you'd bothered to do any homework on the matter you'd know this.

Homelessness and Family Stability - Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Old 11-03-2015, 09:10 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Seems pretty obvious at this point the city needs to set up a place for people to camp and use heroin. Then if they find people doing this elsewhere they can make them pack up and move to the designated spot.

This current program of using city resources to move people around between a series of illegal camping spots is a huge waste. It's not fair to the residents and businesses either that have to deal with needle campers being pushed on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area