Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 09:56 AM

3,662 posts, read 2,943,593 times

Advertisements

Its not going to happen. Too many other cities will get on their knees and beg for a NBA and NHL team with a CAN do attitude. While in Seattle the same song and dance on which site to put an Arena might drag on for the next decade. Its not rocket science people, Seattle has only 3 options to pick from SODO, Bellevue, Tukwila. Even a caveman can pick one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 01:37 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
It will happen, but, and it is a big but, when? I could drive 240 miles south and watch an Oklahoma Thunder game if I wanted to torture myself. Pfff.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
I disagree. Seattle is too major of a market to not have the NBA. It will happen, but it could take years, just like LA with the NFL. I predict Seattle will have NBA and NHL by 2018.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:18 AM

603 posts, read 877,422 times
Seattle is definitely large enough a market with enough wealth to justify it so I would suspect at some point. However, every team that went on sale recently that could have been purchased has been sold to local ownership. Hansen had the Kings sold to him a couple years ago but the NBA made a strong pushback to get Sacramento to keep their team. I don't see it happening in the near future as there are literally zero teams I can think of that would be up for sale anytime remotely soon.

And honestly I'm not sure if I feel the people in this area deserve another team. In my decade of residing here I have never viewed Seattle as a legitimate sports city compared to the places I've lived in the past. Support of every collegiate and professional team is pretty mediocre in comparison to nearly every other major city. And yes that includes the Seahawks, do didn't seem to have half the number of fans they have currently until about 3 years ago. The Seattle area was ranked 26th in the league in local NFL viewership and near last in social media followers. The bandwagon is strong and there's statistical proof of it. I can't even express the disgust I've felt with the endless number of people I know who didn't even watch football and don't know anything about the game who now get to enjoy the team's success and show off like they've been diehard fans for years.

If Seattle gets the Sonics back I reckon the bandwagon will be there for a couple years before attendance/fan support slips back into mediocrity.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:25 AM

603 posts, read 877,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
If you want to feel the excitement of live NHL, just head up north of the border to see the Vancouver Canucks, amazing energy. I feel like the NHL would take off in Seattle, many Midwest, East Coast and even European people here now who love hockey. In certain ways, it is the very best sport to watch live.
I definitely believe that financially having a team in Seattle makes more than enough sense for the NHL. Phoenix and Miami are two markets currently that don't deserve their teams so unlike the NBA, there are NHL teams that are viable for relocation.

But again, for me personally, I just don't see any fan support for hockey. No schools have teams, there are few ice rinks and hockey leagues, 90% of UW students don't know they have a hockey team, and Thunderbirds games are half-empty on Saturday evenings. The few people I do know who are into hockey are transplants such as myself.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:43 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfanboy View Post
And yes that includes the Seahawks, do didn't seem to have half the number of fans they have currently until about 3 years ago. The Seattle area was ranked 26th in the league in local NFL viewership and near last in social media followers. The bandwagon is strong and there's statistical proof of it. I can't even express the disgust I've felt with the endless number of people I know who didn't even watch football and don't know anything about the game who now get to enjoy the team's success and show off like they've been diehard fans for years.
That happens everywhere. It's not something unique to Seattle.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:10 AM

That happens everywhere. It's not something unique to Seattle.

Bingo - and really, I'm interested in what goes on down on the field. What the fans do or make up on the fly or don't do is possibly interesting internet hate fodder but not really all that important. If someone is more interested in going to see Taylor Swift or Blake Shelton or would rather watch The Voice than watch Seahawk football, great. Fairweather - or someone who fancies a bit of attention for themselves, fine. They're gonna be clueless ta talk Seahawk shop with, oh yes they will.

As long as when the ball is being snapped I'm there at my place to watch the Seahawk's play, I'm fine. I cant control nor do I want ta control what millions of people do or don't do come gametime. And in between when all the internet braggadocia gets bantered about.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:13 AM

3,662 posts, read 2,943,593 times
Now sure how the NHL will do here once the honeymoon phase is over. I am willing to bet 85-95% of people in Seattle do not know who Pavel Bure or Brian Leetch or Paul Coffey is. Those are hall of fame NHL players of the past. Those that know are from elsewhere here for the tech boom or Boeing. I just don't see people paying near 100 dollars a ticket for rinkside seats around here.

And if you follow Canucks hockey even NHL crazed Vancouver BC is having a hard time. The team's tickets were in big demand when they were one of the top teams and now that the team is now in the middle of the pack you can go to a game non marquee matchup for under 35 bucks often. And that is with a very big fanbase. Imagine a Seattle NHL team middle of the pack. What will tickets be like 15 bucks to get in?

Old 12-13-2015, 08:31 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,282 times
The NBA never should have let the Sonics move. Oklahoma City only has enough money to support a team when oil prices are high.

Now that oil has taken a dump, how can a metro a third of the population of Seattle's support a team with a labor force that will have to settle for work at the Wiggly Piggly?

Lousy foresight by the NBA.

Last edited by SyraBrian; 12-13-2015 at 08:40 AM..

Old 12-13-2015, 12:06 PM

The NBA never should have let the Sonics move. Oklahoma City only has enough money to support a team when oil prices are high.

Now that oil has taken a dump, how can a metro a third of the population of Seattle's support a team with a labor force that will have to settle for work at the Wiggly Piggly?

Lousy foresight by the NBA.

Spot on, SyraBrian. The NBA front office is smoking some strong hashish. It's inexcusable what idiots and jerks they've been to Chris Hansen. Chris is like me in at least one respect - our Dad's took us to Sonic's games when we were small. We grew up watching Downtown Freddy Brown, Spencer Haywood, Tom Meschery and Dick Snyder. Anyone remember Tom Burleson out of North Carolina - the center who was 7'4" tall - and he could bounce the ball (though we cringed at times when he did!) and man could he get to the rim and dunk fast and decisively.

Seattle will get another NBA team - oh, and by the way, the Sonic's jersey design and colors are preserved for when they start playing ball again. That was part of the deal with Clay Bennett's group and what's left of the Sonic's in Seattle - mainly memories...if and when you guys get another Sonic's back you will be allowed to rehang the Championship banners from the rafters where you end up playing at, and, your colors and jerseys will be there for you to wear again. It's the part where we're supposed to collectively shake Clay Bennett's hand and say "thanks, Clay, you're sure a stand up guy."

Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area