Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 03:16 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,926,497 times

Advertisements

Sinice I have moved to Seattle I haven't found New York style pizza. The only pizza that comes close is Ballard pizza company and Paglaicci. Is there a place I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 06:11 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
My dear NYC born and raised wife says:

Independent in Madison Park: http://www.theindiepizzeria.com

Delancey in Ballard: http://delanceyseattle.com

Proletariat in White Center: http://proletariatpizza.com

I've tried all three, they are tasty.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 01-15-2016 at 06:41 AM..

Old 01-15-2016, 07:42 AM

64 posts, read 64,248 times
I have not tried any of those places but I do love Rocco's downtown. The ambiance is not NYC, but the pizza is damn good.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:04 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Although I think Independent Pizza is very good, I just wouldn't call it NY style. So I'll take the question literally.

Big Mario's on Capitol Hill.
Rocco's.
Bambino's(4th and Denny).
Delancey( Except it's expensive and way too busy. Expect to stand in line.)

Old 01-15-2016, 12:37 PM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
Post Alley Pizza by the waterfront was pretty authentic.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:54 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Marios may be good if you order a whole pie, but the pizza by the slice is fairly bland and mass produced... The foundations of my soul was not rattled ordering slices of Mario. It was the, "Ah yeah that is edible" experience. But not the, "Wow, Surreal!" experience. Real New York Pizza in Seattle? I just stick with MOD, it is made to order, cooked in an open high speed oven, all toppings you want for a price that is fraction of every other pizza joint in Seattle for equal or better quality. Is it amazing, New York style pizza? No! It's decent pizza for a low price in a place that is deficient in high quality pizza establishments. It has somewhat of that typical Northwest wood fire pizza flavor which I prefer to many of the bland, skinny crust and under-flavored, minuscule topping and cheesed pizzas they try to pass as New York in Seattle. I cannot remember the last time I had any New York style pizza that rocked my world.

If you want the closest "REAL" New York Style pizza I have had in recent memory, try going to Vinnie's Pizza in Vancouver, WA. They are a Sicilian family from Brooklyn and they cook damn good pizza and occasionally have some Italian cooks who add a twist of the Mediterranean to some of their dishes.

You really need to find a place run by real East Coast Italian Americans, even possibly Polish Americans or even Jewish Americans. For example, when I lived in Bend, Oregon, there was a Polish-American guy from Chicago who opened a new pizza place when I moved there. The Chicago style pizza and calzones he made rocked my world and I cannot remember when I have had anything comparable in recent memory. Sadly, many of the so-called Italian or New York food style places in Seattle are run by Eastern European people who try to pretend they know how to cook traditional New York/Italian/East Coast style food, but it ends up falling very short. Palermo's is a prime example of overhyped, mediocre wannabe Italian/East Coast style food restaurant run by Russians/Eastern Europeans. Typical Seattle Italian fare. Unless you want to pay the top dollar..

Some high end Italian restaurants in Seattle do make good margherita pizzas, but this is hardly New York style. And, of course, you are going to pay..

Old 01-16-2016, 02:13 AM

21 posts, read 19,388 times
Italian Family Pizza on 1st and Seneca is pretty authentic. Added bonus: $1.50 Budweisers.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:55 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,926,497 times
Tonight I ate at Ballard Pizza Company and wasn't impressed.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:10 AM

100 posts, read 130,190 times
NYP Bar and Grill

Old 01-16-2016, 10:55 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Marios may be good if you order a whole pie, but the pizza by the slice is fairly bland and mass produced... The foundations of my soul was not rattled ordering slices of Mario. It was the, "Ah yeah that is edible" experience. But not the, "Wow, Surreal!" experience. Real New York Pizza in Seattle? I just stick with MOD, it is made to order, cooked in an open high speed oven, all toppings you want for a price that is fraction of every other pizza joint in Seattle for equal or better quality. Is it amazing, New York style pizza? No! It's decent pizza for a low price in a place that is deficient in high quality pizza establishments. It has somewhat of that typical Northwest wood fire pizza flavor which I prefer to many of the bland, skinny crust and under-flavored, minuscule topping and cheesed pizzas they try to pass as New York in Seattle. I cannot remember the last time I had any New York style pizza that rocked my world.

If you want the closest "REAL" New York Style pizza I have had in recent memory, try going to Vinnie's Pizza in Vancouver, WA. They are a Sicilian family from Brooklyn and they cook damn good pizza and occasionally have some Italian cooks who add a twist of the Mediterranean to some of their dishes.

You really need to find a place run by real East Coast Italian Americans, even possibly Polish Americans or even Jewish Americans. For example, when I lived in Bend, Oregon, there was a Polish-American guy from Chicago who opened a new pizza place when I moved there. The Chicago style pizza and calzones he made rocked my world and I cannot remember when I have had anything comparable in recent memory. Sadly, many of the so-called Italian or New York food style places in Seattle are run by Eastern European people who try to pretend they know how to cook traditional New York/Italian/East Coast style food, but it ends up falling very short. Palermo's is a prime example of overhyped, mediocre wannabe Italian/East Coast style food restaurant run by Russians/Eastern Europeans. Typical Seattle Italian fare. Unless you want to pay the top dollar..

Some high end Italian restaurants in Seattle do make good margherita pizzas, but this is hardly New York style. And, of course, you are going to pay..
But Rotse: You're from Oregon. Maybe you just don't like New York pizza. I've only had Big Mario's by the whole pie, not by the slice. I hated the place( I know you know what I'm talking about), but I liked the pizza. Authentic doesn't necessarily mean it's something I'm going to like. I've been to Chicago and had Pizzeria Uno there. Meh. I've had supposedly very authentic Chinese food where very customer but me was Chinese, and I preferred the Chinese style I'm more familiar with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area