Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:43 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times

Advertisements

Maybe not the most efficient, but the most fun is one of those propane powered weed killer torches. They're not expensive, and it's just kind of rewarding watching weeds burn and die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 11:34 AM

737 posts, read 1,462,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Maybe not the most efficient, but the most fun is one of those propane powered weed killer torches. They're not expensive, and it's just kind of rewarding watching weeds burn and die.

That does sound like fun! I probably should have mentioned that I am coming from Hawaii where our grass was so naturally thick and healthy that I didn't have a problem with weeds in the lawn. So I am not used to all these seasons! I would like to go the organic route if possible. I read that you have to apply something in the fall and then in the spring before the weeds start to grow. I might just let it go this year and mow and bag it and then apply something this fall.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:43 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
You are supposed to NOT burn them, but to heat them till they turn bright green. Then their cells burst. No need to waste propane and risk fires. Yeah, it is fun to zap the SOBs.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:15 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
That does sound like fun! I probably should have mentioned that I am coming from Hawaii where our grass was so naturally thick and healthy that I didn't have a problem with weeds in the lawn. So I am not used to all these seasons! I would like to go the organic route if possible. I read that you have to apply something in the fall and then in the spring before the weeds start to grow. I might just let it go this year and mow and bag it and then apply something this fall.
One of the organic methods for putting something down in the fall and spring is corn gluten meal. I've had mixed results with it. It was okay. Still had weeds. Maybe a few less. I've got a big yard. Over the course of the seventeen years we've lived here, the actual lawn has become much smaller. I don't mind looking at green grass, but I'm not willing to fertilize it, so it'll grow, and I'll have to mow it, or water it, so it'll grow, and I'll have to mow it. So the veggie garden is where there used to be grass, and and there are large swaths of non lawn ground cover, and bushes, etc. But still too much lawn.
I mostly remove weeds from the lawn with small hand weeding tools. The Japanese Hori Hori knife works well at digging up dandelions and other weeds. That's been a handy dandy garden mainstay of mine for years. I go out with the weeding torch a few times a year, so I can feel like a savage warrior. Mostly I ignore them. I always go out weeding when the dandelions are in bloom. Maybe i should just harvest them and make a dandelion beer.
Most people in the Seattle area aren't bothered too much by weeds, and just mow them down. Some people like a vinegar spray to kill weeds, but I haven't tried it.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
One of the organic method for putting something down in the fall and spring is often corn gluten meal. I've had mixed results with it. I've got a big yard. Over the course of the seventeen years we've lived here, the actual lawn has become much smaller. I don't mind looking at green grass, but I'm not willing to fertilize it so it'll grow, and I'll have to mow it, or water it, so it'll grow, and I'll have to mow it. So the veggie garden is where there used to be grass, and and there are large swaths of non lawn ground cover, and bushes, etc.
Still, I mostly remove weeds from the lawn with small hand weeding tools. The Japanese Hori Hori knife works well at digging up dandelions and other weeds.That's been a handy dandy garden mainstay for years. I go out with the weeding torch a few times a year, so I can feel like a savage warrior.
Most people in the Seattle area aren't bothered too much by weeds, and just mow them down. Some people like a vinegar spray to kill weeds, but I haven't tried it.
Thanks for the info! I have been doing a lot of research on the corn gluten meal. I think I will try that in the fall and then next spring before they start coming up. As you know, I have 3 dogs so I really don't want to go the weed and feed method. We are going to turn our front yard into a shrub/flower garden with walk ways to avoid all this weed crap and having to mow etc. I refuse to water my yard also! I want to keep the backyard mostly grass if possible because of the dogs. I actually love to weed but when I look out the front and the entire lawn is mostly weeds, it can be daunting. I will try hand weeding the dandelions out front so they don't spread to the neighbors(who have nice yards and are very nice neighbors).

Old 04-09-2016, 05:41 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
How do you guys deal with weeds growing in your lawn?
I mow them.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:43 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Unfortunately lots of weed killer spray.
That's a sign of soil problems since local weeds are better able to deal with poor soil than lawn grass is. A well rooted lawn in good soil should be able to crowd out most weeds. If weeds are taking over the lawn doesn't have the proper nutrients to sustain itself. A lot of builder grade lawns were laid over hard pan with only a small layer of soil. If that's the case on your lot you would need to add a sufficient layer of compost enriched soil to give the grass what it needs to compete.

You don't have to use chemicals to grow a good lawn, just tune the soil to what the lawn needs and remove any weeds that come in.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:08 PM

812 posts, read 1,062,281 times
Thumbs up Join the moss yard revolution!

I think there are a couple of plots by the home agri business companies.

"moss in the yard is bad" is one of them. After spending a lot of years fighting moss, dethatching etc, I started to realize, when I see moss in the woods, I love it. So why am I killing it in my lawn????
I have been letting it slowly take over, keeping the weeds eliminated, the grass nicely mown.

It looks GREAT. Neighbors haven't even figured out the transition viewing it from the street. Its soft and cushiony. Turns brown about the same time everyone else lets their lawn die to save water anyway, but its nicer dried out than spiky sparse grass, IMHO.

I also fight conspiracy number two. "Mulching Fall leaves into your lawn is bad". Yes, this might encourage moss.....see conspiracy number one. I have been only compost piling a small percentage of leaves when its too much to grind the mulcher mower through. Looks like bright confetti on the lawn for a couple weeks in the Fall. Is that bad? My yard went from nasty hardpan to wonderful topsoil filled with earthworms. I haven't used ANY fertilizer in years, and the neighbors wonder why my lawn looks so green and healthy. (moss plus mulch )

Moment of truth will be that we are planning on selling our house soon. I see people removing moss to sell, leaving a patchy crappy looking sparse grass. I am hoping prospective buyers will see it as a feature instead of a detriment.

we do keep moss off the roof.

Re weeds, I use very careful spot hitting weed killer to get control of a widespread weed problem Then use a fiskar weed plucker to keep up with it. Our mossy front lawn is almost weed free, which adds to the nice effect and I rarely use chemicals and certainly not enough to wash into the groundwater.

i.e. I am not a granola based organic gardener, but minimize chemicals.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I pull off the yellow Dandelion flowers and any other buds I see on the plant and put them in the trash. That at least keeps them from getting worse. I have totally given up on the creeping buttercups. We just enjoy the flowers and mow them down along with the grass when it gets too high.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:46 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I feel a little bit better that many people just mow them or pick them. That is what I will do for this season and then try some form of organic control this Fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: