Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:54 PM

60 posts, read 288,981 times

Advertisements

Anyone have some thoughts on the south east side of Lake Washington? Newcastle? Is the area considered similar to Renton? We're currently looking at Issaquah but I see some homes for sale in this area that are of interest. ALL INPUT appreicated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:10 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,045,111 times
No, Newcastle is not considered similar to Renton at all. Newcastle is a relatively new city in that it incorporated in 1994. It's a definite bedroom community as there is no real economic base. It's downtown area consists of two strip-mallish shopping centers on the south side of Newcastle Way at its intersection with Coal Creek Pkwy.

Its residential area, however, is considered to be middle-upper class family areas of above-average incomes. No real "low-income" areas per se.

It is much smaller and less established than Renton.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:55 PM

Great - and if you were to compare it to Issaquah? Greenbelt access for hiking and mountainbiking? Coffee shops, playgrounds etc? (Will visit in April!)

Old 02-24-2008, 09:07 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,045,111 times
Ah, The only park I can think of off the top of my head in Newcastle is Lake Boren Park (http://www.ci.newcastle.wa.us/ch_cds_pw_pet_parks_Lake_Boren_Park.asp - broken link).

Oh, and the Cougar Mountain reserve (http://www.metrokc.gov/parks/parks/cougarmountain.html - broken link) is close. I think you'll like that park.

Newcastle is quite a bit smaller geographically than Issaquah and is relatively dense in its residential areas.

I think there's a Starbucks in one of those shopping centers I mentioned before.

edit: hah! I guess there's a Starbucks on each side of the Coal Creek Pkwy in those shopping centers... so typical of the Seattle area.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:18 PM

As for the Starbucks on each corner... that's just typical Starbucks!! (Same in SoCal!)

Old 02-24-2008, 10:00 PM

99 posts, read 612,444 times
Newcastle is a nice area and very conveniently located. It is definitely more upscale than most of Renton. As scirocco pointed out, the Cougar Mountain park is only a few miles north-east of Newcastle and features 36 miles of hiking trails: King County Parks and Recreation Cougar Mountain, Washington (http://www.metrokc.gov/parks/parks/cougarmountain.html - broken link)

If you have children, I'd recommend looking for homes in the Issaquah school district instead of the Renton school district. Unfortunately, it seems that most of Newcastle is in the Renton SD, so that definitely cuts your options.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:56 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,175 times
Trust me, you'll see many more Starbucks here than in Socal. One of those Coal Creek Starbucks is in Safeway, I think.

I also like Newcastle's location, but folks may want to note that access to Renton will be cut off on Coal Creek Parkway/Duvall for one year due to construction. It's going to be an issue for those commuting between Renton and Bellevue. More traffic on 405, probably.

It's sad to see all those trees coming down along this pretty thoroughfare, but it's the price of progress and growth, I guess. Hopefully Newcastle is preserving some of the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson4154 View Post
As for the Starbucks on each corner... that's just typical Starbucks!! (Same in SoCal!)

Old 02-25-2008, 09:11 AM

522 posts, read 2,626,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewba View Post
If you have children, I'd recommend looking for homes in the Issaquah school district instead of the Renton school district. Unfortunately, it seems that most of Newcastle is in the Renton SD, so that definitely cuts your options.

Yes, I'd only live there too if it the part that is in Issaquah SD! Good Luck!!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:34 PM

Great input - I do have 2 kids under 2 so schools will become increasingly important in the coming years. Thanks!!

Old 02-25-2008, 04:27 PM

327 posts, read 962,824 times
Newcastle has some great areas to live, and the best views in the region if you have the $$$. The homes in Newport Hills area are a bit older and, on average, they're about 100K more than your typical home in Renton, so it's kinda expensive. The true gem neighborhoods in Newcastle are the more northern parts like Somerset and Lakemont, although part of these areas are technically considered Bellevue and are uber expensive. Scirocco is right in saying that it's basically a bedroom community. Not a whole lot of business infrastructure, which is why the city sustains itself off of property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area