Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 02:48 PM

209 posts, read 820,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Is the Property Tax Rate in Seattle less than other areas of WA? I'm in Thurston County, (Olympia) and find my tax rate to be 1% of assessed value which is about a quarter of a percent higher than the example given.

My assessed value is 377k (land and home-West Seattle) total property tax is $3480, so slightly less than 1%,
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 02:52 PM

209 posts, read 820,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Washington has high sales taxes, which partially offsets the lack of a state income tax.

As others have noted, it really matters where one comes from, though, as far as perspective and "reputation" go. Home prices are relatively high here, but because we moved from the San Francisco area, they seemed quite reasonable to us.
Yes Washington has sales tax, so does practically every other state. However when you compare our 8.8% sales tax to other states that may run 6-7% the difference is only about 2% on your purchases.

Compare that to paying a 4-7% state Income tax, and in some states local wage taxes on your total GROSS income and you will find that your NET is considerably higher in WA than most other states.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:24 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal32 View Post
I can't imagine with a combined income of 102K, or even just my 72K salary, we would struggle, yet I read things on here about how you need at least 120K to live comfortably.

But why???

.....So let me ask...where exactly does Seattle's super-expensive reputation come from? Is it accurate? And if it is accurate, does it only apply to buying a house?
That reputation probably comes from one or two individuals who need the finest of everything ..... a butler, a maid, and a gardener .... a new luxury car every year ..... but find that the trust fund income barely covers those things.

Now personally, I'm at the other end of things .... I could live in Seattle quite nicely on $15,000. But that's because I have few costly needs, don't need to go out to restaurants because I enjoy cooking for myself, don't need expensive nightclubs for the few nights I go out for entertainment.

Maybe I'd need $20,000 if I had a vehicle while living in town.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:22 PM

573 posts, read 1,452,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
So let me ask...where exactly does Seattle's super-expensive reputation come from? Is it accurate?

No it is not really accurate.

You have to remember that in WA we pay only Federal Income tax.

There is no State Income tax, No local wage tax, and property taxes (if you own your own home) are quite low compared to the value of the home.

A 500,000 home in Seattle would pay about $3500 in property taxes. quite low compared to other major metropolitan areas. (I have seen areas where property taxes are double that on an equivalent home, even though the equivalent was about 100k less in price)
I do not totally agree with you on acouple of points. First Seattle has a very high state tax. Secondly, I do not live in King county and my property tax this year is almost $6000 for a house valued at $660,000. Also, their is a tax on other things that is high---car tabs, booze, cigs, hotels, restraurants,etc. This state taxes you to death and now they want road tolls.
To answer your question---you should be able to live well and enjoy yourself and true it does not compare to Cal. and NY but as far as big cities go--it is number ten.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:32 PM

327 posts, read 963,209 times
Earning $110K with no kids is doable. You'll be able to afford a nice 2 bedroom condo in an ideal area. Is it enough to buy a house? No. You'll probably need to be looking down in Auburn to buy a new, larger sized home. Our federal tax return says that we're in the top 8% of income earners, but we can't afford to buy what we want in Seattle. Not paying income tax is great, but the high cost of real estate has really made Seattle an unrealistic place for people to settle down and raise a family. There's great high-tech jobs here, and unsurpassed natural beauty, but it's a very tough market for people who aren't earning in the high six figures area. My advice is to bust open and excel sheet and really crunch some realistic numbers to see what makes sense for you in Seattle. It can be a great city to build up professional skills, but depending on your income situation, it's a tough place to step into real estate.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 PM

339 posts, read 707,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
If you're making over $100k with no kids and renting, you shouldn't have any troubles.

Housing costs are insane, insurance is expensive, and inflation is rising faster here than anywhere else in the country, but compared to San Fran, New York, or LA, Seattle is not terribly expensive.
It's number 10 on the most expensive cities list (overall) I believe.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:54 PM

99 posts, read 612,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
So let me ask...where exactly does Seattle's super-expensive reputation come from? Is it accurate?

No it is not really accurate.

You have to remember that in WA we pay only Federal Income tax.

There is no State Income tax, No local wage tax, and property taxes (if you own your own home) are quite low compared to the value of the home.

A 500,000 home in Seattle would pay about $3500 in property taxes. quite low compared to other major metropolitan areas. (I have seen areas where property taxes are double that on an equivalent home, even though the equivalent was about 100k less in price)
... and quite low compared to unincorporated King County. Our assessed valuation for 2008 is $435,000 with property taxes of $5,068.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:39 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
We also have a real estate excise tax on the sale of homes which most states don't have...it's 1.78% plus five dollars, paid by the seller.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:24 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,107,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
We also have a real estate excise tax on the sale of homes which most states don't have...it's 1.78% plus five dollars, paid by the seller.
Yeah -- Ira, do you know what that adorable five dollars is for?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:42 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
That adorable five dollars is the "technology fee".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area