Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 11:43 PM

64 posts, read 216,181 times

Advertisements

I am extremely frustrated with trying to find a decent full-time preschool/daycare situation for my son along with a rental. I am going to be working for LWSD, although I have no idea which schools yet (they said most likely in Kirkland, but wouldn't narrow it down further). So, I have been trying to find a rental close to my son's preschool at least, but I cannot find a preschool without huge waiting lists! I am picky about where to send him, also. I did find one place (Bellevue Montessori) that had an opeing and I liked the facility, but the rents in that area (downtown Bellevue/Medina) are very high. My rent budget is below $1500 for a 2 bedroom with parking. I have sriously been at this for over 2 weeks almost non-stop, and I am ready to give up and tell LWSD forget it.

So, my question is: Is either Woodinville or Duvall commutable to the Kirkland area? Their rents are more reasonable and I am thinking (hoping) the preschool situation there is not as competitive. I am ok with with an up to 40 minute commute, but not any more than that.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 12:03 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
Woodinville basically borders NE of the Kirkland area. Not sure where you're coming from and going to, but from Woodinville DT to Kirkland DT traffic should never take more than half an hour. Plus you'll learn the back roads as well which will help.

As for Duvall, they also has different route options as well. I think you're on the mark with the 40 mins commute.

Why not look into Redmond, Bothell as well?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:37 AM

Thanks Inkpoe! I have looked into Redmond (I really like the area), but I run into the same preschool issues in Kirkland, Redmond, and Bellevue. I haven't heard the greatest things about Bothell, but I haven't been there either. Perhaps it is worth considering. Yeah, it would help if I had a better idea of where I'd be working!

Old 07-12-2010, 04:06 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,773,645 times
You're not going to find cheap rents in Medina, one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the area. All of the other suburbs you mentioned would be a fine commute. Bothell isn't so bad. Woodinville is nice too, and I'm sure you'll find a great rental there.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
What have you heard that's not so great about Bothell?

It has one of the excellent school districts in the state; one of the high schools has the Cambridge Program-- being the second HS on the West coast to have such program (Local News | Juanita High gets Cambridge plan | Seattle Times Newspaper). Great water access, great parks, great community with a cute DT area, you can access Seattle DT very easily. Shopping is very accessible with Alderwood Mall to the north and Bellevue SQ to the south, plus all the other shopping villages. Working in Kirkland, you wouldn't even have to use 405 to get to Bothell and vice versa. Bothell has a great variety of living styles. Its one of the more affordable suburbs in the Eastside.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 PM

Maybe I am just being paranoid about the commute times. I always hear such nightmares about commuting on here and everyone says "live where you work!" I lived in Los Angeles for a while so I know how stressful a bad commute can be.

I am going tomorrow to look at some places and a school in Woodinville. I will check out Bothell while I am there.

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:52 PM

14 posts, read 44,611 times
Ditto what Inkpoe said.

Bothell is a great place live. I live in Bothell just outside of Mill Creek. The schools in and around MC are some of the best around. Plenty of shopping and restaurants and easy access to both I-405 and I-5, the greater eastside and Everett. Bothell also has a few Montessori's that may be suitable for your kids. Google is your friend there.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area