Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 02:27 PM

455 posts, read 579,060 times

Advertisements

If it was the top 25 percent is would hurt bad. A lot of people need high incomes here just to live middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 02:33 PM

908 posts, read 962,018 times
i agree renting out a room permanently or as an airbnb might be a good option. if you live on the eastside if you can rent out a bed/bath you may be able to get about $700/month.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:22 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,376,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
If it was the top 25 percent is would hurt bad. A lot of people need high incomes here just to live middle class.
75% wouldn't pay any tax. If a couple, the threshold would be double, plus there would be deductions for dependent children. The tax would be applied only to income above the threshold. So, figure $100k for an individual, $200k for a couple, $300k for a family of four. Plus sales tax would go down an equivalent amount, so the average middle-class family would see their overall taxes go down, not up.

The undertaxing of the rich is a major factor in feeding the speculative bubble in the real estate and other markets, leading to a Boom/Bust and Bubble/Panic economy. Speculation drives out investment. So far this century, we've had three bubbles: 1) a tech bubble, 2) a credit bubble, and, now, 3) a real estate bubble.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:22 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,954,081 times
The amount of stress trying to make ends meet on a non tech career in Seattle is not worth it! The amount of people here is going to be atrious in another 5 years. Most cities over 1 million metro suck.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:44 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
I was born and raised in Seattle/Bellevue, and live on the Eastside. I own a house in King County and my property taxes go up by an enormous amount every year. I'm a single woman in her 50s and my job pay increases are minimal if at all. With property tax increases, Comcast increases, sales tax increase (now 10%!), and everything else that goes up, how can I or anyone else survive here anymore? Unless you're these outsiders or execs that move here, how do you not live paycheck-to-paycheck?
Maybe I'm missing something. Property tax in Seattle is constantly complained about. However, based on what I paid in Ohio it is basically nothing. For instance, my house in Bath, Ohio, sold for $739k, and had a property tax bill last year of $13,539. My house in Seattle, with the exact same valuation, had a property tax bill of $3,039. So tell me how Seattle's property tax is so high? I am I missing something here?

Old 07-06-2017, 02:23 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,879,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Maybe I'm missing something. Property tax in Seattle is constantly complained about. However, based on what I paid in Ohio it is basically nothing. For instance, my house in Bath, Ohio, sold for $739k, and had a property tax bill last year of $13,539. My house in Seattle, with the exact same valuation, had a property tax bill of $3,039. So tell me how Seattle's property tax is so high? I am I missing something here?
She's not comparing to other states and saying its too high comparatively. She specifically said it "goes up an enormous amount" every year.

Obviously the values of homes in the area are increasing, hence the increase (along with other fees, levies and such). But there some situations where people are having to fight the property assessor because of the way they assessed the property. I know of a woman who had a house in Kennydale, and the property assesor keeps labeling the house as having a water view, which increases the valuation, but she actually didn't have a water view. She would have to go in and fight it, but it's become an annual thing for her.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:25 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
That's odd. When I bought a property in Seattle for $150K, back in the late 80's, the tax bill was $3000 annually. So something's off, somewhere.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:30 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's odd. When I bought a property in Seattle for $150K, back in the late 80's, the tax bill was $3000 annually. So something's off, somewhere.
If that were the case today I would agree that the property taxes seem out of alignment. But every single house we bid on at that rough valuation, whether in Seattle or the eastside, had the same kind of tax. We just found it odd that it was considered high given what we lived through back east. And our taxes in Ohio seemed cheap to those in New York, where property taxes are roughly double what they are in Ohio.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:56 PM

365 posts, read 258,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
They could propose a state constitutional amendment that would enable a state income tax, but cap it at a set percentage, limit its application to upper income earners, and require an equivalent reduction (a revenue swap) in the state sales tax, which should help alleviate "slippery slope" concerns. The notion would be that institution of an income tax should be to increase progressivity, not revenues.
It would most likely start that way.

Then as the 'need' for more revenue expands, the caps will be lowered (or they will let inflation bump us up into higher and higher tax brackets). The reduction in sales tax will be whittled away, and new rates will be added for the lower income people.

We will end up like CA and NY. High property tax, high sales tax, high income tax.

That said, I agree that a multi-tax system is far more fair than what we have now. B&O is a mess, Property taxes are becoming a huge burden for many in the lower middle class levels, and the sales tax is at 10% for many of us is at a record high.

Like I said, two types of people will be able to live here - the upper middle class and beyond (say $140,000+) and the very poor need welfare to survive.

The rest of us need to get out while the getting is good.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Wow, that is low, our home in Sammamish is about the same value and $6,600 tax bill this year. Are you sure that wasn't just the first half payment amount?

Our increase was almost a thousand over 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area