Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 12:01 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times

Advertisements

I work in healthcare and pat $900 month for family health insurance with a high deductable. We make too much to buy just catastrophic insurance in my county. I thought this was normal everywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 07:43 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison81 View Post
Re: south being cheaper...

I currently live in DFW (just trolling this thread bc I love Washington and would love to move). Anyway, YES! Medical insurance is not great. I work for a local school district and the coverage is awful—it might as well be considered catastrophic coverage due to soaring deductible. AND yes!! Our property taxes are insane! My house is tax assessed at $300,000, and I will pay $9,000 in property taxes!!!
Thank you , that was what I was trying to get at . ^^^^ main reason I cannot go home . They will redline me and get away with it . They did this back in 2004 , and ended up really close to dying .They don't care .
I finally got care ( WAY too late ) thanks to a couple of Mexican Dr's I stumbled upon ( thank goodness) who remembered the Hippocratic oath and saved my life, and we worked out the bill after, makes me uninsurable there and would have to go to the ER which costs everyone and trashes my credit . It really has a ripple effect on your life. Even this really elderly retired snowbird RN from Minn who was helping prep me for surgery said she had never seen anything like this and wondered how we survived ( literally ) I said sometimes we don't.

My first post here about this issue was not trying to be a smart#&# I was just trying to make sure you were aware that this was a serious problem in alot of southern states . I am stuck now in bad shape and even my DOCTOR here blames that state for the shape I am in .

The taxes are exactly why I stopped being a homeowner there .

Old 06-28-2018, 10:46 AM

233 posts, read 306,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Thank you , that was what I was trying to get at . ^^^^ main reason I cannot go home . They will redline me and get away with it . They did this back in 2004 , and ended up really close to dying .They don't care .
I finally got care ( WAY too late ) thanks to a couple of Mexican Dr's I stumbled upon ( thank goodness) who remembered the Hippocratic oath and saved my life, and we worked out the bill after, makes me uninsurable there and would have to go to the ER which costs everyone and trashes my credit . It really has a ripple effect on your life. Even this really elderly retired snowbird RN from Minn who was helping prep me for surgery said she had never seen anything like this and wondered how we survived ( literally ) I said sometimes we don't.

My first post here about this issue was not trying to be a smart#&# I was just trying to make sure you were aware that this was a serious problem in alot of southern states . I am stuck now in bad shape and even my DOCTOR here blames that state for the shape I am in .

So sorry you are dealing with that!
It's sad that many have to go to Mexican drs to get help.
Were you referring to WA in regards to medical or somewhere else?

Old 06-28-2018, 01:36 PM

No , I have had great caring medical care here that I can afford . I am very grateful to everyone and this state for that . My gastro has his work cut out for him here with me and why I am so thin. It still hurts really badly to eat .

I was so used to trying to "fix it myself " that it has taken me a long while to get used to going to a Dr regularly again .

My gall bladder burst because no one was willing to fix it .They would see me once and they knew what was wrong then actually say they couldn't help me because they were worried about payment . Anyone, of course , will die from this, its an emergency like an appendix . The hospitals would turn me out with a fentanyl patch on my neck .

3 days before it went I was back in desperation at the ER begging for help . I personally felt like I was going to die very soon and I was now gray , seeing things that weren't there and had given up trying to live . Terribly TERRIBLY sick . Dr. told me I needed to get hold of myself and gave me a vat of xanax and sent me home.
The Mexican Dr carried me like a child to his surgeon associate and they stopped the whole hospital to try to save me . They did , sort of , but I'll never be ok . Peritonitis is just not fun ! What a wreck . I would have paid ANY of these Dr's who saw me , I just could not get any ins under $1000 a month with a deductible that I was in no way going to be able to meet .

The other poster is right , Its ( and has been ) priced almost like COBRA or the Texas pool for uninsurable people which is obscenely high. As sick as I was I still could not believe they were going to just allow me to die from a burst gall bladder in the state of Texas in 2004 . I just could not believe it .

Old 06-28-2018, 01:41 PM

233 posts, read 306,095 times
Quote:
No , I have had great caring medical care here that I can afford . I am very grateful to everyone and this state for that . My gastro has his work cut out for him here with me and why I am so thin. It still hurts really badly to eat .

I was so used to trying to "fix it myself " that it has taken me a long while to get used to going to a Dr regularly again .

My gall bladder burst because no one was willing to fix it .They would see me once and they knew what was wrong then actually say they couldn't help me because they were worried about payment . Anyone, of course , will die from this, its an emergency like an appendix . The hospitals would turn me out with a fentanyl patch on my neck .

3 days before it went I was back in desperation at the ER begging for help . I personally felt like I was going to die very soon and I was now gray , seeing things that weren't there and had given up trying to live . Terribly TERRIBLY sick . Dr. told me I needed to get hold of myself and gave me a vat of xanax and sent me home.
The Mexican Dr carried me like a child to his surgeon associate and they stopped the whole hospital to try to save me . They did , sort of , but I'll never be ok . Peritonitis is just not fun ! What a wreck . I would have paid ANY of these Dr's who saw me , I just could not get any ins under $1000 a month with a deductible that I was in no way going to be able to meet .

The other poster is right , Its ( and has been ) priced almost like COBRA or the Texas pool for uninsurable people which is obscenely high. As sick as I was I still could not believe they were going to just allow me to die from a burst gall bladder in the state of Texas in 2004 . I just could not believe it .
That is soooooo horrible!!!!
Beyond belief.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:01 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Sorry to hear this information, Dutchess. It's a money-lovin', money grubbing, sick system of things. And it's why I look to the Creator for my salvation. Man is too self-centered and worried about his own pocketbook to offer any real long-lasting help.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Sorry to hear this information, Dutchess. It's a money-lovin', money grubbing, sick system of things. And it's why I look to the Creator for my salvation. Man is too self-centered and worried about his own pocketbook to offer any real long-lasting help.
In some places it surely seems to be that way. This was just offensive the way I was (not) treated .
You know ... you are in healthcare long enough to imagine what 90 days like that would look like . The Mexican Dr's were like .They really did have to carry me from office across the parking lot to hospital because they didn't think they had time for an ambulance and i was done walking anywhere .

Old 06-28-2018, 09:28 PM

374 posts, read 548,933 times
Quote:

Wow! So sorry you had to go through all of that!!

We are hoping to move from Texas in the next year(ish) for the very same reasons (soaring taxes) I can’t wait to NOT own a home in this state.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:40 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
You know ... you are in healthcare long enough to imagine what 90 days like that would look like .

Too long of a long time ta be sick!

Old 07-01-2018, 12:45 PM

41 posts, read 44,712 times
I can confirm this place is much better than Texas for one. Property taxes are much lower and schools are much better.

Did I mention the people are just smarter here?

It's an overall win for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area