Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 11:13 AM

243 posts, read 228,890 times

Advertisements

so approximately 32k after taxes ?

im not trying to live in the city center either , outskirts is fine. im moving for my field of work and the beautiful outdoors so the 20$ will be very temporary and only for a few months. after I start my schooling ill start at 22$ hr and get more every 6 months until I hit 54$ an hr after five years for my trade.

my only real worry is my vehicle , because if I get caught in traffic gas will kill me plus parking is really hard in Seattle I hear or maybe that's just downtown. it cant be any worse than San Diego.

im single 22yr old male, with no debt or car payment. I figure if I can live like hobo at first ill be fine.

can't be any harder than living on less in SD I assume , COL is about the same.

yea I know , ill never own property there or in any major city in the us for that matter , my whole generation is ****ed in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 12:10 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,374,563 times
If you scrimp, you can do it, especially if willing to live in a room, studio, or micro-apartment.

Will you have a single workplace or will it vary? Many people commute via bus or train to work in Downtown or the core neighborhoods. In that case, figure about $100 or so for a monthly regional transit pass.

If working in North or South Seattle, it can effect where you choose to live, in that commuting from South to North Seattle, or vice versa, is best avoided. Parking will be much more available outside of Downtown and the core neighborhoods.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:12 PM

438 posts, read 377,115 times
You don't want to move to Seattle homeless...that's a surefire way to staying homeless and getting stuck in the cycle here. Very few people are able to climb out of it, and if your planning on working it can be even harder.

There are many roommate options on Facebook, Craigslist (perfectly fine if you stay smart about the responses), and bulletin/housing boards especially around the Universities. It won't be hard to find a room for rent, but you have to be flexible with personalities and willing to accept that it's most likely just a place to store your things and sleep at night. I'll say it again; DON'T COME TO SEATTLE HOMELESS. It's nothing against you personally, but it's a dangerous city for those without shelter with a completely different homeless culture than California. Get a room or roommate situation figured out first.

The $22 per/hr is fine, but you'll have to stretch your money and anything beyond rent and food may need to be supplemented with a weekend or side-gig. But those are easy enough in the city; for instance I did product surveys and promotional things for $50-$150 simply for sitting through a 30 minute presentation and giving my opinion. Big city living anywhere requires some dedication to chasing the dollar, but the rewards can be great if you stick with it.

My main worry about you is you keep saying it can't be worse than San Diego. I'm not sure about that; Seattle is colder and is going into it's dark winter which isn't the easiest thing for newcomers especially from our direct south. Traffic is horrific for some and not bad for others; it greatly depends on where you're going and what time of day it is. It sounds like you moved to San Diego thinking it was perfect and found out it has city living flaws. Seattle will have the same flaws with some regional variation of challenges you'll have to discover for yourself. I think you should visit if you can and decide if the city is really how you imagine it before putting all your eggs in the basket.

P.S I'm part of your generation and looking at purchasing a home in Seattle or down in California. It's absolutely possible but requires hard work, dedication, sacrifice, and financial planning. Plenty of people here in Seattle didn't grow up with money or get a house dropped in their lap. They stared off like me and you, working minimum wage and renting our way through life. I was in your same shoes just 5 years ago, but an amazing opportunity came my way at my side-gig and now I'm in a completely new situation. As long as you stay open to smart opportunities and keep your eyes on the prize it can and most likely will happen!

Last edited by musicfamly5; 09-17-2019 at 12:40 PM..

Old 09-17-2019, 12:16 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
Rewards go to those who seek it.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:57 PM

243 posts, read 228,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfamly5 View Post
You don't want to move to Seattle homeless...that's a surefire way to staying homeless and getting stuck in the cycle here. Very few people are able to climb out of it, and if your planning on working it can be even harder.

There are many roommate options on Facebook, Craigslist (perfectly fine if you stay smart about the responses), and bulletin/housing boards especially around the Universities. It won't be hard to find a room for rent, but you have to be flexible with personalities and willing to accept that it's most likely just a place to store your things and sleep at night. I'll say it again; DON'T COME TO SEATTLE HOMELESS. It's nothing against you personally, but it's a dangerous city for those without shelter with a completely different homeless culture than California. Get a room or roommate situation figured out first.

The $22 per/hr is fine, but you'll have to stretch your money and anything beyond rent and food may need to be supplemented with a weekend or side-gig. But those are easy enough in the city; for instance I did product surveys and promotional things for $50-$150 simply for sitting through a 30 minute presentation and giving my opinion. Big city living anywhere requires some dedication to chasing the dollar, but the rewards can be great if you stick with it.

My main worry about you is you keep saying it can't be worse than San Diego. I'm not sure about that; Seattle is colder and is going into it's dark winter which isn't the easiest thing for newcomers especially from our direct south. Traffic is horrific for some and not bad for others; it greatly depends on where you're going and what time of day it is. It sounds like you moved to San Diego thinking it was perfect and found out it has city living flaws. Seattle will have the same flaws with some regional variation of challenges you'll have to discover for yourself. I think you should visit if you can and decide if the city is really how you imagine it before putting all your eggs in the basket.

P.S I'm part of your generation and looking at purchasing a home in Seattle or down in California. It's absolutely possible but requires hard work, dedication, sacrifice, and financial planning. Plenty of people here in Seattle didn't grow up with money or get a house dropped in their lap. They stared off like me and you, working minimum wage and renting our way through life. I was in your same shoes just 3 years ago, but an amazing opportunity came my way at my side-gig and now I'm in a completely new situation. As long as you stay open to smart opportunities and keep your eyes on the prize it can and most likely will happen!
I moved to San Diego because of the beaches and laid back life style. There’s always construction work but as far as getting into the electricians union ? Haha not happening. No work here and all the non union places pretty much cap you at 25$ hr for jmen which is absolutely disgusting considering the COL. Union here pays ok but there’s just no work. Seattle on the other hand is really hurting because of the labor shortage.

Seattle was actually last on my list until I considered what you said , every big city has its problems plus I don’t like the fact I’d get taxed to death if I chose Portland ( also another great city for union work).

As far as climate the skies won’t bother me , I’m not from California but even in the 6 months I’ve been here the constant sun and the beaches have grown old.

I don’t like the dry climate anyway , I like the pnw because of the lush green climate and I’d welcome the rain. id rather hike in the mountains with a slight overcast than the beating sun. San Diego has its perks no doubt though.

I was doing scaffolding until recently actually and I got a pay cut because the owner told me that he doesn’t do 50 cent increments. I had been at that company 4 months and instead of giving me a raise I got a 50 cent paycut from 17.50 to 17$ hr. I had 2 years of expierence btw when I first started there.

That was supposed to be temporary until I got into the electrical field anyway but I got hurt and I’m not hanging off the scaffold 200 ft in the air while still being treated like **** anymore so for entry level construction I’m looking at about 13$ hr to start here which is enough to live in a tent in balboa park I guess.

I don’t except a lot of money until I get settled in the electrical field but I want enough for my very basic needs. There is always LA and OC if I wanted to stay here but the pay scale is lower than Seattle’s and the COL is insane . I’d kill myself if I lived LA and OC is for mega rich, 45$ hr is below the poverty line there when you consider taxes.

No place is perfect but I didn’t think to talk to a lot journeyman before I moved here. Now that I have I ,have the drop on all the hot locations for work.

Plus my sister is in WA , I’m estranged from the rest of my family but it’ll be nice to know someone there cares about me. She’s studying wildlife bio there at UW.

You’re partly right though , I did romanticize the move a lot more than I should have so that’s why I’m taking my time and looking at short and long term before I leave again.

Thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
If you scrimp, you can do it, especially if willing to live in a room, studio, or micro-apartment.

Will you have a single workplace or will it vary? Many people commute via bus or train to work in Downtown or the core neighborhoods. In that case, figure about $100 or so for a monthly regional transit pass.

If working in North or South Seattle, it can effect where you choose to live, in that commuting from South to North Seattle, or vice versa, is best avoided. Parking will be much more available outside of Downtown and the core neighborhoods.
How does the traffic system work ? In San Diego you have to avoid two directions during rush hour and you’re good. Traffic here really isn’t that bad and is avoidable. It really depends on the construction company , some are cool and you just drive to the shop and ride to the job site in a company vehicle, some expect you at the job site on your own. I would assume the start time would be 6 or 7 in the morning so I don’t know how bad traffic looks that early.

Last edited by dg628; 09-17-2019 at 01:16 PM..

Old 09-17-2019, 01:13 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
If you'll have a fixed location of employment, you'd be best taking public transit.

For rentals, get a room in a shared household.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:14 PM

467 posts, read 527,184 times
I have lived in both San Diego and Seattle. The traffic situation is night and day. There’s no way to avoid traffic t any time of day in Seattle. A winter snowstorm is paralyzing.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:19 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
I moved to San Diego because of the beaches and laid back life style. There’s always construction work but as far as getting into the electricians union ? Haha not happening. No work here and all the non union places pretty much cap you at 25$ hr for jmen which is absolutely disgusting considering the COL. Union here pays ok but there’s just no work. Seattle on the other hand is really hurting because of the labor shortage.

Seattle was actually last on my list until I considered what you said , every big city has its problems plus I don’t like the fact I’d get taxed to death if I chose Portland ( also another great city for union work).

As far as climate the skies won’t bother me , I’m not from California but even in the 6 months I’ve been here the constant sun and the beaches have grown old.

I don’t like the dry climate anyway , I like the pnw because of the lush green climate and I’d welcome the rain. id rather hike in the mountains with a slight overcast than the beating sun. San Diego has its perks no doubt though.

I was doing scaffolding until recently actually and I got a pay cut because the owner told me that he doesn’t do 50 cent increments. I had been at that company 4 months and instead of giving me a raise I got a 50 cent paycut from 17.50 to 17$ hr. I had 2 years of expierence btw when I first started there.

That was supposed to be temporary until I got into the electrical field anyway but I got hurt and I’m not hanging off the scaffold 200 ft in the air while still being treated like **** anymore so for entry level construction I’m looking at about 13$ hr to start here which is enough to live in a tent in balboa park I guess.

I don’t except a lot of money until I get settled in the electrical field but I want enough for my very basic needs. There is always LA and OC if I wanted to stay here but the pay scale is lower than Seattle’s and the COL is insane . I’d kill myself if I lived LA and OC is for mega rich, 45$ hr is below the poverty line there when you consider taxes.

No place is perfect but I didn’t think to talk to a lot journeyman before I moved here. Now that I have I ,have the drop on all the hot locations for work.

Plus my sister is in WA , I’m estranged from the rest of my family but it’ll be nice to know someone there cares about me. She’s studying wildlife bio there at UW.

You’re partly right though , I did romanticize the move a lot more than I should have so that’s why I’m taking my time and looking at short and long term before I leave again.

Thanks for the information.

How does the traffic system work ? In San Diego you have to avoid two directions during rush hour and you’re good. Traffic here really isn’t that bad and is avoidable. It really depends on the construction company , some are cool and you just drive to the shop and ride to the job site in a company vehicle, some expect you at the job site on your own. I would assume the start time would be 6 or 7 in the morning so I don’t know how bad traffic looks that early.
Traffic sucks

Old 09-17-2019, 01:32 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times
What part of the Seattle area would you work? Kent is fairly affordable and accesses Downtown Seattle by "Sounder" commuter rail. Everett on the north end of the region and Tacoma down south do the same, though longer rides. Northgate is (semi) affordable and will have light rail soon. Lynnwood has reasonably priced rentals and good bus connections.

The quick answer though is yes, you can do it if you watch your money carefully, maybe consider not getting a car, eat at home instead of going out, forego those $5 lattes. You can always rent a car for the day if you want to head out to the mountains. When I was your age, I looked for people who needed roommates. Suck it up and do that until you make more money.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:43 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,674,107 times
Seriously, traffic sucks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area