Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 12:20 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,676 times

Advertisements

I'm in Issaquah highlands. It seems to be a very exercise/health orientated style of living here. Out of all the people I see outside walking/running, 50% of them are asian, and 50% of the asians are elderly pushing around their infant grandchildren. Especially in the mornings. My landlord is from China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 01:02 PM

351 posts, read 342,498 times
I don't see Seattle as diverse at all. It's pretty much Whites and Asians/Indians

Old 01-17-2019, 01:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
This city gets better every year.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:38 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,307,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
I don't see Seattle as diverse at all. It's pretty much Whites and Asians/Indians

You don't consider people from Asia/India as adding to diversity? I'm not sure why not. There are loads of people in Seattle-Bellevue (or second generation) from Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Phillippines, Thailand, Korea, Japan, India, China, even Myanmar and Nepal. They have vibrant and distinct cultures though are often vitally integrated into this area. Have you ever visited Wing Luke Museum in the International District? You really should.

There are also large amounts of people (80,000 by some estimates) from Ethiopia, Eritrea and Somalia here. You could hit 5 Ethiopian restaurants with a rock from the corner of Cherry and MLK in Seattle-have you ever been? There is a sizable population of Latin American origin too. Not sure what it would take for you to call the area diverse but by most measures, it is.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:38 PM

426 posts, read 527,267 times
Statistically Seattle is pretty white and asian, but the area has some of the largest varieties/mixes of people I've seen anywhere else. It's one of the things I love about living here.

I don't think anyone would argue that immigrants are welcome, provided they got here legally.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:54 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,676 times
Most immigrants that I see here are Indian and Asian. Well disaplinned, educated people. This is a great atmosphere. The people and weather here have a lot in common. No real extreme’s.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:58 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
You don't consider people from Asia/India as adding to diversity? I'm not sure why not. There are loads of people in Seattle-Bellevue (or second generation) from Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Phillippines, Thailand, Korea, Japan, India, China, even Myanmar and Nepal. They have vibrant and distinct cultures though are often vitally integrated into this area. Have you ever visited Wing Luke Museum in the International District? You really should.

There are also large amounts of people (80,000 by some estimates) from Ethiopia, Eritrea and Somalia here. You could hit 5 Ethiopian restaurants with a rock from the corner of Cherry and MLK in Seattle-have you ever been? There is a sizable population of Latin American origin too. Not sure what it would take for you to call the area diverse but by most measures, it is.
Where are there Burmese neighborhoods in Seattle? Or Nepalese? I’ve actually met very few from Myanmar or Nepal here. There were actually quite a few more in my prior city, KC.

Definitely a lot of Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Koreans. New Japanese immigrants are very few nowadays. I do agree there are a decent amount of second generation Japanese still here.

There are Horn of Africa immigrants but not a ton from elsewhere on the continent.

Latin America is Mexico - haven’t seen stats indicating additional statistically significant communities.

Eastern Europe is the remaining large group - Ukraine, some other former bloc countries.

Decent amount of Northern and Western Europeans by US measures.

Overall I suppose you could say Seattle is diverse, but overall immigration is, and will likely continue to be, dominated by a few nationalities. It’s certainly not a NYC or even a Boston, LA, SF, DC, etc. But it’s also more diverse than many other US cities.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:07 AM

609 posts, read 303,581 times
What's your point? There's more Chinese than Luxembourgers? China and India are the two largest countries in the world if you hadn't noticed...

Old 01-18-2019, 12:57 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,902,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
They have vibrant and distinct cultures

What does that mean? A vibrant culture?

I always hear that term. I don't know what it's supposed to mean.

What does a vibrant culture look like, as opposed to a non-vibrant culture?

Old 01-18-2019, 12:25 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,307,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Where are there Burmese neighborhoods in Seattle? Or Nepalese? I’ve actually met very few from Myanmar or Nepal here. There were actually quite a few more in my prior city, KC.

Definitely a lot of Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Koreans. New Japanese immigrants are very few nowadays. I do agree there are a decent amount of second generation Japanese still here.

There are Horn of Africa immigrants but not a ton from elsewhere on the continent.

Latin America is Mexico - haven’t seen stats indicating additional statistically significant communities.

Eastern Europe is the remaining large group - Ukraine, some other former bloc countries.

Decent amount of Northern and Western Europeans by US measures.

Overall I suppose you could say Seattle is diverse, but overall immigration is, and will likely continue to be, dominated by a few nationalities. It’s certainly not a NYC or even a Boston, LA, SF, DC, etc. But it’s also more diverse than many other US cities.
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that there are loads of Burmese or Nepalese, all the others I mentioned, yes. I agree, we aren't as diverse as some NYC and other places but for people to say we lack diversity is just wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area