Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 05:51 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times

Advertisements

There are times I miss the Chicago area-- the driving patterns is one of the things I miss. Yes, many people speed on Chicago-area freeways, but it's rare to have the "hang out in the left lane" phenomena. If there is room to the right and you are not actively passing, you belong in the right. I'm not advocating speeding, but if you've got someone camping out going 50 in the left lane, and traffic going along at 50-60 in the other lane(s), the left laner is blocking up traffic patterns that should be going more smoothly.

This is one of the reasons I prefer to take public transit if I can. The driving patterns in this area drive me wonky. Taking life slow and enjoying the ride is fine. Do it in the right lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 06:08 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The whole freeway was clear except two guys going 50 in the left lane? Really?

If the rest of the lanes were clear then you shouldn't have been in the left lane either.
Unfortunately a lot of people think like you and don't get the issue. But this is wrong.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:14 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Unfortunately a lot of people think like you and don't get the issue.

In that post you quoted? No I don't get the issue because the first sentence was a question about the facts, and the second was meant to be a joke , but it's also true, according to the law.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:11 PM

You are right. I should've quoted the post below. That doesn't change the fact you don't understand the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
If I have a long trip in front of me I am not going to keep changing lanes just to try to get out of the way of speeders.

I'm not advocating for driving SLOWER than surrounding traffic, but as long as there are other cars to my right and I am passing them readily, either at or above the speed limit, or... at a speed that is safe for the amount of traffic, I don't have to slow down to move over for you just because you want to go 80 instead of 60. I'm not enforcing the speed limit, I am avoiding frivolous and unnecessary lane changing back and forth.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:14 PM

Help me out then... what don’t I understand?

Old 06-04-2019, 08:15 PM

You are not the police and you have to move over to the right if a car in the left lane behind you wants to pass you even if they are speeding.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:21 PM

No that’s not what the law says.

It doesn’t say I have to move over to let someone else pass me...it says I can’t be in the left lane unless I am passing the cars to the right.

I told you above it has nothing to do with trying to enforce the law. I don’t care about that. It has to do with whether I have a responsibility to slow down my own progress and risk an unnecessary merge into slower traffic just to let you by. I don’t think I do. Not unless there’s no more cars on the right and I can do it in a way that I think is safe.

Mine is very libertarian approach.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:43 PM

Sorry but entitled drivers like you cause road rage.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Sorry but entitled drivers like you cause road rage.
Surely you can come up with a better insult than that - I’m not sure entitled fits me.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:14 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Never ceases to amaze me how much people in this area camp slowly in the left hand lane even when traffic is flowing well. I try to help teach people. I pass them on the right, pull back in front of them, motion my hand to show them how to come over one lane, then model my behavior to show them how. The reactions are mixed: some come over immediately, some aggressively speed up and some just continue ambling along obliviously. Please people. When traffic is flowing, left lane is for passing. When you have passed, move to the right. Be aware of who you may be impeding when you are in the left lane. Seriously.
Yeah, I want to clothes-line these idiots.

Is WSP still enforcing tickets on this?

There was a new campaign a few years ago on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area