Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 08:07 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,468 times

Advertisements

I think part of the issue is that some people have a very liberal idea about what "passing others" means. Many people stay in the left lane to pass someone who is really far up there, while blocking others who could have moved past the car in the left already. "Actively" passing someone is very different from "I'm going to pass that car in another mile or two or three...." which is what a lot of people seem to do. That causes others to pass the on the right and confuse everything.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats- living together, mass hysteria!" Bonus points if you know that quote. Extra bonus points if you can quote the whole movie.

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 06-09-2019 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 12:20 PM

1,663 posts, read 877,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
As long as there are still cars to my right and I am still passing them, I don't need to move back to the right, if that means I must slow down to merge in there.

I am assuming normal I-5 traffic, where there is a steady stream of cars.

Am I supposed to slow down and merge into heavier traffic just because someone else wants to drive faster than me? That's where I say no.
And I was assuming I-90/ US-2/I-82 where there isn't usually a steady stream of cars, and still plenty of left lane campers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I think part of the issue is that some people have a very liberal idea about what "passing others" means. Many people stay in the left lane to pass someone who is really far up there, while blocking others who could have moved past the car in the left already. "Actively" passing someone is very different from "I'm going to pass that car in another mile or two or three...." which is what a lot of people seem to do. That causes others to pass the on the right and confuse everything.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats- living together, mass hysteria!" Bonus points if you know that quote. Extra bonus points if you can quote the whole movie.
This. Another good one is those who tie up the left lane by going about half a mile an hour faster than the vehicle they are passing, seemingly oblivious to the line of cars piling up behind them.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:33 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,133,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
And I was assuming I-90/ US-2/I-82 where there isn't usually a steady stream of cars, and still plenty of left lane campers.

This. Another good one is those who tie up the left lane by going about half a mile an hour faster than the vehicle they are passing, seemingly oblivious to the line of cars piling up behind them.
This is exactly what I tried to explain to the poster who got offended on the previous page.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:42 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
To be clear, I'm talking about people who camp in the left lane at about 50mph. I see them, everyday.
Some of the lane campers could be a passive-aggressive reaction to the tailgaters. Some simply take a sadistic pleasure in holding others up. Others are just oblivious kings-of-the-road. I doubt it is particularly unique to Seattle, although our constrained lane choices might make it more noticeable. You're not likely to change them, so the best thing is probably to just pass them on the right when a space opens up.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:55 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,795 times
Another big one is a truck trying to pass another truck at 61 mph and then the truck in the right lane speeds up. Sometimes this results in a three lane wide truck wall.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:06 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,535 times
The rules of the road are inverted here - get ready to be tailgated like crazy when going the speed limit/5 over in the right lane, and watch out for left lane campers going 10 under in the far left lane when you need to pass someone...

Old 06-09-2019, 06:51 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
Some do it out of ignorance, some do it on purpose because they don't like newcomers coming in with their speeding habits. Both are unacceptable, but the latter is completely unacceptable and results in road rage. Police need to ticket these slowpokes. But that won't ever happen with the police/patrol too busy with bigger issues.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:16 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
Driving across the country, I have seen how well it works when people keep the left lane for passing. I have also been frustrated to wait behind a truck that is going 56 mph to pass the slower truck going 54 mph. But in densely-populated areas, it doesn't work so well.

Let's say there are three lanes. The speed limit, 65, is irrelevant. None of the lanes is about to be forced off, so that also is irrelevant. (Those the lane thing is sometimes a factor, I'll leave it out.)

Traffic is flowing at about 50 mph in all three lanes. Should those in the left lane move over and fill the other lanes fuller, so that the two right lanes must slow down, in order to free up the left lane for those who want to go 70? OK, that'd be great, except that about 80% of the people want to go 70. So a bunch of people who wish they could go 70 must move to the right and go 40, or 35, and force those other people in the right lanes to go 40 or 35 (instead of 50), so that Mr. Anti-camper-crusader can go 75. Who decides which of us must get out of the way, so that others of us might have an open lane?

Once the freeways get pretty full, even if they are flowing, the "stay-right" laws can't possibly be applied. And around Seattle, that's most of the time. Even in Skagit County, there are too many cars most of the time.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:28 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Traffic is flowing at about 50 mph in all three lanes. Should those in the left lane move over and fill the other lanes fuller, so that the two right lanes must slow down, in order to free up the left lane for those who want to go 70? OK, that'd be great, except that about 80% of the people want to go 70. So a bunch of people who wish they could go 70 must move to the right and go 40, or 35, and force those other people in the right lanes to go 40 or 35 (instead of 50), so that Mr. Anti-camper-crusader can go 75. Who decides which of us must get out of the way, so that others of us might have an open lane?

Once the freeways get pretty full, even if they are flowing, the "stay-right" laws can't possibly be applied. And around Seattle, that's most of the time. Even in Skagit County, there are too many cars most of the time.

This is it. This is what actually happens.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:34 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,500 times
Quote:
No guys. I'm talking about when traffic is flowing well, like one hour ago when I was driving from Edmonds toward Seattle on I-5. There were 2 people (at various times) going about 50 mph in the left lane. Please don't try to justify that or tell me that's normal. It's not.
Quote:
No Diana, not freeway clear, just flowing pretty well. You guys are funny. I do absolutely enjoy this journey in life and on the road . Missing the point though, no slow in left lane. Bad, not good.

I agree with you. Get out of the way. Even if they are speeding it’s not the slow pokes job to police and monitor
people. These slower passive aggressive drivers cause more accidents and backups because they impede the flow of traffic. I’m constantly having to pass people in the middle or far right lane and move back again.

I particularly appreciate the ones who speed up then as you’re trying to pass them. Suddenly they find the accelerator and they will do whatever it takes to keep you from getting around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area