Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 11:42 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times

Advertisements

It is important to remember that almost every city thinks they have the worst drivers.

That said, Seattle has a unique mix of passive/aggressive, some who want to speed, some who have no idea what an accelerator does, and some, unfortunately who don't give a flying crap how they drive. Until you pass them, and suddenly it is the Indy 500!

Just stay on your meds and try and relax, otherwise you will be extremely frustrated.

Growing cities tend to have this issue, and Seattle is no exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 12:36 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Well, you would be wrong. These campers exist, day or night, traffic or not. One of the biggest adjustments I find myself having to make every. single. time. I have to go up to Seattle for a few days for work is changing the way I approach driving in the area, because everywhere else I live or work, slow left lane camping isn't a thing. Matter of fact, you'd get run over if you tried doing even just the speed limit in the left lane. Seattle, though? 5 minutes after I leave the rental car lot, I'm going "oh yeah, this place is overrun with really low-skill, passive aggressive, incompetent drivers and I've basically got to play Ultimate Lane Swapping Championship to get where I Need to go".

What time of day or night are you driving through Seattle, that traffic is moving well enough for the left lane to be kept open for you? Any time you drive through Seattle, just realize that it will take a long time. That's how it is for everyone, and hardly anyone likes it.

There are left-lane complainers all over the country, not just in Seattle. I'm surprised you have such an easy time elsewhere. People complain about it so much that the topic has been forbidden in the Automotive Forum.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:18 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
What time of day or night are you driving through Seattle, that traffic is moving well enough for the left lane to be kept open for you? Any time you drive through Seattle, just realize that it will take a long time. That's how it is for everyone, and hardly anyone likes it.

There are left-lane complainers all over the country, not just in Seattle. I'm surprised you have such an easy time elsewhere. People complain about it so much that the topic has been forbidden in the Automotive Forum.

On the contrary, none of the other places I split my time at have the problem near to the level Seattle does. And, hate to break it to you, but driving from the airport to many places in the metro at times other than 7-9 am or 4-7 isn't that onerous in terms of traffic.

Wanna see traffic? Come to LA - we've got about 2 hours a day where there's no congestion.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:24 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
Quote:

Wanna see traffic? Come to LA - we've got about 2 hours a day where there's no congestion.

I've seen it.
How's that left-lane thing working there?

Old 06-20-2019, 07:30 AM

8,172 posts, read 8,307,797 times
Quote:
On the contrary, none of the other places I split my time at have the problem near to the level Seattle does. And, hate to break it to you, but driving from the airport to many places in the metro at times other than 7-9 am or 4-7 isn't that onerous in terms of traffic.

Yeah, no question Seattle traffic is difficult but nothing like a trip to LA to remind me that others have it worse.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:09 PM

7 posts, read 3,277 times
Recently went on a trip to Boston. Suddenly became thankful for Seattle/Eastside traffic, left lane campers and all.

Seattle may be congested and frustrating but driving from Logan Intl to our hotel by the harbor, there was about 6 separate incidences I was sure the person in the car behind us (in the right lane no less) was capable of murder because we were driving like anyone unfamiliar with an area drives and looking for the right exit. Never been honked at/sworn at/given the one-finger salute so many times in one day in WA!

Old 06-28-2019, 05:27 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
Seattle folks complaining about left lane campers!! Well, get rid of ALL those off-ramps on the LEFT lane of I-5!!!

While your at it.....mixing traffic coming OFF the freeway, with traffic coming ON the freeway is really stupid.

The American Society of Civil Engineers should IMMEDIATELY remove the accreditation of the University of Washington civil engineering program.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:38 PM

662 posts, read 313,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
To be clear, I'm talking about people who camp in the left lane at about 50mph. I see them, everyday.
I lived in Federal Way for a year. Always amazed how frequently the left lane of I-5 would have a string of 10-15 cars going 5-10mph below the speed limit while the other lanes were relatively empty. Just people zoned out playing follow the leader I suppose? I've driven tons of miles in a lot of places and have never seen so many strings of slow people in the fast lane when the other lanes only had light traffic.

Never a big deal because I could zip right by in the middle or right lane, just weird.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:59 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

While your at it.....mixing traffic coming OFF the freeway, with traffic coming ON the freeway is really stupid.
Chicagoland has that going on and it's much worse and more prevalent than here, imo- a lot shorter time to make that quick switch so you don't go right back off the freeway.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:33 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Chicagoland has that going on and it's much worse and more prevalent than here, imo- a lot shorter time to make that quick switch so you don't go right back off the freeway.
I don't understand.

When I am leaving the freeway...I need to slow down to allow the person entering the freeway to get ahead of me...think about it I need to slow and he needs to go fast, that means I slow down.......that results in ALL the CARS behind me....slowing down significantly.

It is a safety hazard to boot.

In downtown Seattle, and thankfully I REFUSE to travel to western Washington unless mandated, I end up with merging traffic on the right side, while trying to decide if the exit is on the RIGHT or LEFT of the freeway.

You guys are as bad driving over here as we are over there.

No wonder traffic is stopped on I-5!!! It is the most STUPID design possible.

I do have a SOLUTION....We limit drivers from eastern Washington to western Washington to a 1,000 drivers a DAY. At the same time, we limit western Washington drivers to eastern Washington to that same 1,000 drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area