Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:08 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Wow, that explains it. I was up in Snohomish County by the water and it was a little cooler. Back in Seattle now, having taken my third cool off shower of the day, still resisting (for some silly reason) turning on our AC. Still hot in the house, about to cave and turn it on .
I would *definitely* turn on my AC if I had it! SO hot right now in our west-facing, upper level apartment! Sweat is literally dripping down my back (maybe because it's actually 95 in my apartment, according to the thermostat).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 11:18 PM

464 posts, read 287,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I would *definitely* turn on my AC if I had it! SO hot right now in our west-facing, upper level apartment! Sweat is literally dripping down my back (maybe because it's actually 95 in my apartment, according to the thermostat).

I have an air conditioner because my place gets a lot of exposure.

But, sometimes I might run it 10-15 days a year.

It's been 30 years, but I remember getting some whopping electric bills in So. Cal, and that was just for a "spot" cooler in my TV room, not the whole house.

I pay about $35 a month here, back in So. Cal I used to get $200 electric bills in summer and in winter, I had electric heaters, I'd get $300 electric bills in winter, people don't realize the desert heats up quickly, but cools off quickly too as there is nothing to hold the heat.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the weather up here, I actually get glum when I see a cloudless day.

Thx

Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
I actually get glum when I see a cloudless day.

Thx

We definitely think overcast and 50 degrees is about the perfect weather for outdoor activities. If the sun is out.... it's too dang hot to be in the sun.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We definitely think overcast and 50 degrees is about the perfect weather for outdoor activities. If the sun is out.... it's too dang hot to be in the sun.

Yes Diana, I don't seem to need more sun than just to see by.

That hot sun will turn a person to wrinkles decades before their time, these sun worshippers pay for it dearly down the line!

Not to mention skin cancer...

These long, hot summers have got to go!

I believe it was 1999 I came back to Issaquah from spending a year in Twin Falls Id. (a place you couldn't pay me to live in, has the kind of "weather" I want to stay away from) but we had some 93 straight days of rain to welcome me back, well into June, that's the PNW I miss!

Thx

Old 06-13-2019, 01:10 AM

50 posts, read 25,694 times
Could you all please hang on to this heat until I arrive on Monday?

Old 06-13-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Kooky View Post
Could you all please hang on to this heat until I arrive on Monday?

Projection for next week is partly cloudy and highs in the low-mid 70s, certainly not ideal, not enough clouds for this time of year, but I'll take it!

So Cal is going to be clear skies with highs around 90.

Thx

Old 06-13-2019, 01:51 AM

50 posts, read 25,694 times
The temperature sounds similar to here - where it's Winter

Old 06-13-2019, 04:30 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Moving to western Washington and Oregon means you will be living in cold, dark weather for a very long time each year. I never lived in Seattle, but did live in Vancouver, BC. ...

The weather in western Washington and Oregon is the worst in the US outside of Maine. Winter is cold, dark, damp and just awful. Summer for the three months is tolerable. ...

So proceed with caution. Visit in winter....for a couple of weeks. Then realize that you will be living that for nine months a year.

It's not like this today, not even close. Winters are shorter and milder. Snow is rare west of the mountains. You start to get cold, rain and wind in November, but this usually is over by the second week of February, when temperatures start climbing into the 60s. Spring now arrives early (though it didn't this year). And freezing temps in winter also are rare. Much more common to have winter temps in the high 40s, sometimes low 50s during the day. East coast and midwest winters are much worse than PNW winters if you are west of the mountains and near sea level.

Don't take our word for it; follow the money. Vintners are buying up land, pouring money into production, and growing a ton more product in Oregon, including grape varieties they never could have kept alive 50 years ago. There now are grape-producing regions in Oregon, at elevations that previously never could have supported viable vinyards.

That's all changed now. See, e.g., link one, link two. From one article:

Quote:
When the pinot noir pioneers arrived in Oregon from California in the 1960s, they had to contend with shorter growing seasons, more frost, winter freezes and more rain during harvest time, Jones said. They adjusted their farming techniques, and the climate became milder.

Now, "we're in the sweet spot," Jones said in his office in Linfield College in McMinnville, Oregon, where he is director of wine education and a professor of environmental studies.
I haven't been in the PNW too long, but ask anyone who has, and they'll tell you winters are noticeably, undeniably, drastically different from fifty years ago. And even this pace of change is accelerating all across the U.S. West coast. Your "nine months a year" comment is both seriously outdated and wrong.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:44 AM

672 posts, read 443,329 times
Go for it.
You'll be alright the first couple years......

Old 06-13-2019, 06:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
While I have spent a lot of time in the central valley we lived in Lafayette, CA as a kid where it was 105 almost every year when school started in September, and I hated it. As an adult we lived in much more mild Castro Valley, but that was still too hot for me. It took 40 years but we eventually moved here in 1993, and have enjoyed the cooler, cloudier and wetter weather for the last 25 years. Too bad it's changing for the worst. Yesterday as it got up to 92 in Sammamish, our downstairs only got up to 76 thanks to the triple pane windows that we had installed a year ago. Our bedroom upstairs, however was 80 at 7pm when I turned up the window AC (on high), We would not have been able to sleep without that, making it a nice 67 by 9pm. My greenhouse got up to 107, which the cucumber seem to like, the tomatoes not so much, but they perked up overnight. Fortunately even with this record heat it cools off nicely at night (64 this am) unlike CA where it could be 80 at 6am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area