Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 10:10 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
The other areas I mentioned give you more house for less money (and a fenced yard). West Seattle (and the general Seattle area) give you less house for more money (and a pocket garden). If you can get outside of the Seattle commute halo, or at least on the edge of it, you can get a good deal more for your money.

Sealth HS is a "4" at GS, while West Seattle HS is a "5". Madison MS is a "7", but a "9" for test scores for all students, but is in an expensive area (North Admiral/Alki).
Thanks but any insight beyond that score? If not that’s cool. Like that area alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 09:52 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
The other areas I mentioned give you more house for less money (and a fenced yard). West Seattle (and the general Seattle area) give you less house for more money (and a pocket garden). If you can get outside of the Seattle commute halo, or at least on the edge of it, you can get a good deal more for your money.

Sealth HS is a "4" at GS, while West Seattle HS is a "5". Madison MS is a "7", but a "9" for test scores for all students, but is in an expensive area (North Admiral/Alki).
Aren't you the one who found a 4-br. Craftsman bordering on a large park in West Seattle at a ridiculously low price for someone about a year ago? Remember that? The price was low, because it was in a neighborhood that was in the process of gentrifying, but it was a great location. Bargains can still be found in West Seattle. If you can find something at a good price in W Seattle, it's worth it, just for the beach and the parks, Lincoln Park, etc.I guess the schools are somewhat hit-or-miss, though.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:44 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Aren't you the one who found a 4-br. Craftsman bordering on a large park in West Seattle at a ridiculously low price for someone about a year ago? Remember that? The price was low, because it was in a neighborhood that was in the process of gentrifying, but it was a great location. Bargains can still be found in West Seattle. If you can find something at a good price in W Seattle, it's worth it, just for the beach and the parks, Lincoln Park, etc.I guess the schools are somewhat hit-or-miss, though.
Yes, I remember. Back off of Camp Long, yard, but no garage.

Here's one, a 3bd/2ba, backyard w/deck and patio, garage, ES/MS/HS 6/7/5:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...48991029_zpid/

Would require that 2 kids would need to bunk up. Smaller sq/ft and lot, but close to beaches, water taxi, and the Junction, good commute.

On the other hand, further south, 5bd/3ba, deck, basement, 2-car garage, but lower ES scores:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...18557116_zpid/

Old 03-03-2020, 01:26 PM

54 posts, read 51,007 times
I don’t want to come off as a negative nelly but I wouldn’t ever consider moving into this area.

We have three kids as well, I’ve lived here my whole life, we are currently shopping for a new community outside Washington state. Beyond the expense of living in the area, and the weather (challenging for sure... But I suppose mild compared to other areas) there are a lot of undesirable things happening politically that I would not call ideal for families. Homelessness and public drug use are worse than I’ve ever seen... including incredibly accommodating public illegal drug possession and usage. In addition Washington state is passing a K-12 sex-Ed overhaul/mandate that could be troublesome for families without liberal moral views (to be fair, this will be varied by district). Traffic is terrible, with no solution on the horizon. I’m always shocked when I see Washington any where close to the top of “best states to raise a family” let along the Seattle area specifically. Good luck in your research and relocation!

Old 03-03-2020, 01:33 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston5onthemove View Post
I don’t want to come off as a negative nelly but I wouldn’t ever consider moving into this area.

We have three kids as well, I’ve lived here my whole life, we are currently shopping for a new community outside Washington state. Beyond the expense of living in the area, and the weather (challenging for sure... But I suppose mild compared to other areas) there are a lot of undesirable things happening politically that I would not call ideal for families. Homelessness and public drug use are worse than I’ve ever seen... including incredibly accommodating public illegal drug possession and usage. In addition Washington state is passing a K-12 sex-Ed overhaul/mandate that could be troublesome for families without liberal moral views (to be fair, this will be varied by district). Traffic is terrible, with no solution on the horizon. I’m always shocked when I see Washington any where close to the top of “best states to raise a family” let along the Seattle area specifically. Good luck in your research and relocation!
Good points. One of the problems with our traffic is so many moving here, so discouraging newcomers is a good thing. Also, since this is the Seattle forum, we’re liberal here so sex education is taught, not hidden. Marijuana is legal here and the state makes over 300 million a year in marijuana tax revenue. Some may not see that as a benefit but the voters do. For those that don’t appreciate Seattle’s way of doing things, there are many other places to go and doing so will reduce our traffic; a win for everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area