Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 03:41 PM

20 posts, read 12,149 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing that Covid caused significant employment opportunities. Is this still so or has the opportunity passed?

Which high-paying businesses don't require a degree and are still in need of workers right now? By high-paying I mean as far above $17 an hour as possible, very preferably on the eastside.

I heard a conversation where a guy said "yeah, because of Covid, they're hiring like crazy, they'll take anyone that applies, and they pay $20 an hour starting, it's full time, and the work is easy as cake" but I didn't hear the company name. Are jobs like this still in high demand?

Other question: If you go on Indeed or similar sites and look for "Entry level" jobs in your area that pay over $50k or even over $100k a year, you find thousands of listings that look too good to be true. How realistic is it to apply to such places without a degree?

Bonus question: Would you rather work front desk at a nice hotel or work at Costco, and why? (Which positions at Costco are best and worst?)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 05:10 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Many of the better non-degree jobs still require training, such as at a technical school.

Best Jobs Without a College Degree

Old 08-30-2021, 07:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Just about every eastside business has a "now hiring" sign, some of them showing start pay at $17 - $20, including restaurants, oil change places, and supermarkets. When it comes to the $50-100k jobs, a degree or experience will be required for the office work, those paying that much without a degree are in the trades, construction, and trucking. When it comes to hotel or Costco, I would go with Costco. Even in the recession and the worst of Covid lockdown they were thriving, as in early 2020 when there was hoarding. Hotels are picking up and hiring now due to the number of layoffs in 2020, but they are far more subject to ups and downs, and their jobs are not nearly as secure.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:27 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Costco, no brainer. They are a relatively pro-employee workplace with what I would assume are decent advancement opportunities. Hotels will treat you like an expendable warm body whose presence is merely to make sure the building doesn't blow up and no one leaves a negative review on Yelp.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:43 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
It would help if you tell us what you are qualified to do.

I'd go with Costco, but be aware you won't last there unless you work hard, work efficiently, work steadily, and don't make expensive mistakes. You also have to be non-stop pleasant to the customers. Costco employees don't stop moving.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Preferably head to a job within your preferred career field, and have employer pay for additional training while you work.

Costco would be my choice for stable pay, benefits, and schedule. (hopefully nightshift, to leave your days free for school, an additional job, outdoor recreation).

Your skillset, aptitude, and objectives are key to correctly advising you.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:21 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Do you like working with people or things? If the first, look at real estate, travel, insurance, health care. If the second, look at the trades, solar/wind tech, lab tech. Focus on getting trained and certified.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:57 AM

1,369 posts, read 714,758 times
I think rooftop solar is a major growth area and will continue to be for a while. In every state of the country. Would also lead to other construction related skills, I imagine.

Old 09-04-2021, 01:47 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
Elevator technician.

Old 09-04-2021, 02:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
.Best No-Degree Employment Opportunities?

Thinking ahead to a career.... My friends that went into the fire service had excellent LT careers with ~$100k earnings, working only ~10 - 12 days / month. Plenty of free time for travel, volunteering, PT jobs, education, personal small business...and a very early, well funded retirement).

Alternative is to own your business. No degree required, unlimited income for unlimited working hours.

Other excellent non-degreed jobs were infrastructure related. (Bonneville power (WA dams), Bureau of reclamation, army Corp of engineers, or Seattle power).

Nearly all my direct labor cohorts survived very well on single earner family incomes, and retired much earlier (and happier) than my degreed peers
A great hourly career can easily equal the income from a degreed professional career. Start making decent dollars at age 16 instead of age 26, learn a trade, be in huge demand.

I worked nightshift, so got 15% extra for less hours and often made more / yr in overtime wages than base pay. During my 5 stints as a degreed professional,... I worked more hours for about the same base pay... No OT.

Advice... Work hard : play hard. (Leave wage employment ASAP)

No need to save for a retirement you may never live to enjoy... Replace your wage income with an inflation protected income stream, then quit working!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-04-2021 at 02:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: