Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 07:24 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I noticed that too. I was thinking it was just the tiny population (there's like one apartment complex and that's it) but car prowling incidents at the park makes sense as an explanation.
Yes, this makes sense. NE Seattle has never been known as a crime bed. Just the opposite. The stats may be skewed by the Park, and/or all the apartments along Sand Point Way. Btw I lived in those Sand Point apartments in the early 80’s and car break-ins were common even back then.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 09-23-2021 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 06:23 AM

4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times
Well, it’s a known fact that criminals will target well to do areas for the most obvious reasons…. Like they have better stuff to steal and they’re more likely not to have anybody resist them or be armed, to resist them… If you break into somebody’s home either in the Rainier Valley or South Beacon Hill areas, there is a higher than average chance that a criminal will be met with physical resistance and gunfire from a homeowner.

Plus, criminals are embolden by the massive numbers of cops fleeing from Seattle Police, which means, there isn’t enough cops to properly patrol or even respond to service call, in even a reasonable amount of time.

Also, another factor, that recently became law in the State of Washington is that the police CANNOT stop anybody on reasonable suspicion, alone…. So if somebody is walking away from a home that was just burglarized 2 blocks away, with say a 55” TV in his arms, the police cannot stop him on reasonable suspicion that a crime has/had happened, is happening or is about to happen and engage him/her in a conversations, to DEVELOP “probable cause” and possibly make that arrest, if that officer could have engaged him in a simple “field interview.”

So basically, the crook, with your 55” can tell the cops to freak off and leave me alone AND by law, the cops have to leave him/her alone…. If not, they’re now, by Washington State law, they could be charged with violating the criminal’s civil rights.

People in the State of Washington basically voted their own rights away to their own property, while granting protection for criminals from criminal convictions.

Now, in the way that new law is written, the police have to basically catch you in the act of committing a crime, to make an arrest. So translating that into reality, it’s not going to happen since Seattle response time for a Priority One call is now 9-11 minutes, so in reality, there is really no chance of the police ever catch somebody, while in commission of a criminal offense.

As I said before, if you haven’t already bought a firearm, you might what to rethink it, since basically, you’re on your own Also, invest in a good home alarm system as well.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:43 PM

I will probably never buy a firearm. Just don’t think I will need it. But then again, I no longer live in Seattle. I can’t judge my hometown today as I don’t live there. There are plenty of Washington cities where it is still not necessary.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:25 AM

64 posts, read 67,391 times
My guess is it's a quirk of data. There are very few residents in that area (east of Sand Point Way) but there is an affordable housing complex within the grounds of the park. That plus park car prowls divided by a very low denominator of residents probably means an abnormally high crime rate, but still quite low absolute level of crimes. Being in that area is just not remotely dangerous, IMO.

Old 09-30-2021, 08:41 PM

55 posts, read 47,817 times
Unhappy Sandpoint changed

I lived in the Sandpoint area for the first 5 years upon arriving in Seattle and believed I had landed in the greatest mix of a city/suburban environment. Commute to work was easy, enjoyable and I felt surrounded by a verdant and thriving neighborhood. IMHO, the area around Magnuson started to change around 2017 when crime appeared to increase. Shortly after, I would no longer feel comfortable walking to work or the neighborhood shops. Magnuson Park and Green Lake were wonderful respites and an opportunity to walk and observe the beauty of nature, and I used to visit them frequently. This area, Seattle overall, has not changed for the better.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:05 PM

153 posts, read 131,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeandNatureWalks View Post
I lived in the Sandpoint area for the first 5 years upon arriving in Seattle and believed I had landed in the greatest mix of a city/suburban environment. Commute to work was easy, enjoyable and I felt surrounded by a verdant and thriving neighborhood. IMHO, the area around Magnuson started to change around 2017 when crime appeared to increase. Shortly after, I would no longer feel comfortable walking to work or the neighborhood shops. Magnuson Park and Green Lake were wonderful respites and an opportunity to walk and observe the beauty of nature, and I used to visit them frequently. This area, Seattle overall, has not changed for the better.
That's a similar story for all of America right now. Phoenix where I live is the same, was much nicer 10 years ago. MUCH. My friends in Dallas said the early 2000's were so nice, and now it's full of crime. My friend in boston said his city has never been more ran down. my friend from skokie outside chicago said not to move there he now hates his city. my uncle in NC said the 90s were good and now it's overran and sucks. Everyone says everythings' worse always.

Old 10-02-2021, 11:31 PM

Perhaps every area is less nice due to the pandemic and resultant changes across the board. Hopefully our communities are strong and will return to normal soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area