Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 07:55 AM

153 posts, read 131,825 times

Advertisements

I just read that Sand Point has like, 300% higher than the national average crime rate. I mean, I always thought east of green lake was the safe, wealthy, quiet neighborhoods (which is mostly true), so what's up with Sand Point being a sore thumb over there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 10:02 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,672,864 times
Close to the university?

Old 09-22-2021, 12:02 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,468 times
I didn't know that Sand Point had such a high crime rate. When I did some internet searching, I found that same information. #1 for crime (violent and otherwise) in Seattle on every recent list I found. University district isn't even on any of those lists, so I don't think it's a result of being near the university. Besides, you have to go through quite a few other areas to get to Sand Point from UW, and those areas aren't on the list.

I'm not sure what would put it so high, out there on its own, surrounded by some wealthy neighborhoods. I wonder if it's the park? I don't know why that park would have more crime, though.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:21 PM

153 posts, read 131,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I didn't know that Sand Point had such a high crime rate. When I did some internet searching, I found that same information. #1 for crime (violent and otherwise) in Seattle on every recent list I found. University district isn't even on any of those lists, so I don't think it's a result of being near the university. Besides, you have to go through quite a few other areas to get to Sand Point from UW, and those areas aren't on the list.

I'm not sure what would put it so high, out there on its own, surrounded by some wealthy neighborhoods. I wonder if it's the park? I don't know why that park would have more crime, though.
Strange right? I’ll try to look into it more.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:42 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,307,797 times
That's hard to believe, I'm over there regularly and it's pretty tame, mostly mellow residential. I'm thinking that incidents at Magnuson Park skew the numbers.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I would consider it to be the property crime in and around the park. When you have a lot of vehicles parked for hours with the owners far away from them, car prowlers are going to target that place for their work. It's not the well-off local residents. The same can be said for the Northgate area, where you have large shopping areas with parking and a transit center. I'd be more concerned with areas where the crime is more within the community itself, such as Rainier Beach, Beacon Hill, Lake City and White Center.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:38 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,241,244 times
Beacon Hill? lol okay

Old 09-23-2021, 01:33 AM

6,383 posts, read 5,009,673 times
I noticed that too. I was thinking it was just the tiny population (there's like one apartment complex and that's it) but car prowling incidents at the park makes sense as an explanation.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Beacon Hill? lol okay
A co-worker lived there and was broken into twice in 3 months, about a year ago, then moved to Ballard.

The crime rate there is 148-percent higher than the national average, and the 4th most dangerous neighborhood in Seattle, according to several sites that I cannot list due to the TOS (competing).

Old 09-23-2021, 08:06 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,241,244 times
Hmm... well, Beacon Hill is a huge area, so I suppose there could be some dicey streets or something.

I hope your co-worker has better luck in Ballard. My two cents and street smarts tell me that Ballard is way less safe than Beacon Hill, where I lived for years with practically no issue. The only thing that ever happened to me was someone cleaned out my car. I left it unlocked, so that was my bad. Still, they left the valuable things (like my portable power station and my nice hiking boots) and took my pens, napkins, etc. So, either a crackhead or someone who needed basics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area