Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: See above introduction to the thread
Anchorage 7 21.88%
San Francisco 25 78.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 10:49 AM

7,539 posts, read 17,228,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
I think most people live in Seattle, as well as Anchorage, because their work or family connections brought them (or bred them) there.
Is that different than .... any other place in the world? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 10:57 AM

1,369 posts, read 713,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Is that different than .... any other place in the world? lol
Different in Florida or other retirement cities. I heard that Vancouver was a big retirement city too? But yes, otherwise I think the statement covers every city.

Old 06-28-2022, 12:35 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Different in Florida or other retirement cities. I heard that Vancouver was a big retirement city too? But yes, otherwise I think the statement covers every city.
Vancouver? Not really. Victoria and other small towns on Vancouver Island, yes.

Although, many who live in Vancouver and are retired, don't feel the need to move to a place to attain a " retirement " kind of existence. Some who can afford, do winter in Mexico, Costa Rica and the US, mostly.

Old 06-28-2022, 11:44 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Comparing cities based on one criteria can be misleading. Not to say this is abundent on this thread, but certainly hints at it.

The cities mentioned on this thread all have positives and negatives, and they are different for each. As a consumer you need to study these and decide for yourself what you can live with and what you cannot.

Example: Anchorage is close to abundent nature and is beautiful. It also has somewhat been in a recession for over half a decade. Seattle is also beautiful, but very expensive. San Francisco is even more expensive and has some urban homeless issues, as does Seattle. (I guess the homeless tend to avoid Anchorage for obvious reasons).

The point is there are good and bad in all three cities the OP mentioned. Smart folks will decide what is acceptable and what is not.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:20 AM

7,539 posts, read 17,228,595 times
When I lived in AK there were plenty of homeless folks in Anchorage. Lots of folks get stuck in Alaska with no way back down to the mainland (or "back outside" as they say there).

I have no idea how they made it through those -20 cold snap weeks. I'd guess that out of all Alaskan (major) cities, Fairbanks has the least amount of unsheltered folks due to the truly cold weather, -40 etc.

Old 07-03-2022, 03:59 AM

15 posts, read 10,870 times
I think in terms of look and feel, I'd go with San Francisco & Seattle like others. Anchorage's feel reminds me of a mixture of Antarctica, (only with a huge population) & a ghetto version of Iceland. When I first got to Seattle, it reminded me of SF a lottt. It was something I first noticed.

Old 07-05-2022, 03:58 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
There was a previous thread about Vancouver BC and how Seattle could aspire to be Vancouver. In Hong Kong where I am from the wealthy do not aim to live in Seattle unless its for work. If they wish to leave for better quality of life its Vancouver BC. Its a destination city for wealthy people from all over Asia for relocation if they can pull off the high price tag.
The real answer is it's easier to get a visa and permanent residency to live in Canada than the US for those coming from China.

Seattle wealth is homegrown
Vancouver comes from Asian money laundering

You decide on where is actually more attractive. An economic powerhouse that contains some of the richest companies in the world (Seattle) or a North American Dubai (Vancouver). If you're already rich with questionably obtained wealth from China, then Vancouver is a great place for you. If you're professional with marketable skills and talent but not a whole lot of assets, then the obvious answer is Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area