Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: See above introduction to the thread
Anchorage 7 21.88%
San Francisco 25 78.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 04:11 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,155 times

Advertisements

I don’t know, neither answer is really bad.
Anchorage is more similar as far as topography and SF of course is more similar in a Big City Feel and a racial mix and of course the weather there is closer to Seattle’s weather (year around basis) than Anchorage Weather.
But based on outdoor opportunities and lifestyles, if I had to answer the question I’d probably say Anchorage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 05:38 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,530,298 times
Well both are Pacific ports with hilly terrain. I'd think the climate of San Francisco is more similar to Seattle and both seem fairly tolerant places. I haven't been to Anchorage in a long time so I couldn't say what it's like these days.

Old 06-25-2022, 05:41 PM

11,418 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Seattle - world class Pacific Rim city.

San Francsico - world class international city.

Anchorage - dingy backwater in the sticks near nothing.

I am not seeing any similarity between Anchorage and the other 2 vibrant, world-class cities. How is tech doing in Ancorage? SF and Seattle have it all over Anchorage and it is not even close IMHO.

Weather is mentioned. Seattle has cold winter rain. San Francisco as cold winter fog. Anchorage has snow up to your neck and extreme sub-zero temps. I don't think the average Seattle resident would find anything much to do during an Anchorage winter, that they are used to doing during an average Seattle winter.

I haven't been to Anchorage in a really long time. I am pretty sure it is hilly, but has nothing Seattle's Queen Ann & Capitol Hill, or San Francisco's Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Telegraph Hill and Twin Peaks. San Francisco is called the city of 7 hills.

I will leave it to the OP to compare as I just don't remember how hilly Anchorage is.

SF=Seattle all day, right down to the homeless camps.

I will say, if your favorite thing about living in Seattle is that you can be driving in rugged mountains in just 20 minutes by talking I-90 east, that is something you can do in Anchorage that you can't do in San Francisco. I will give you that one.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 06-25-2022 at 05:52 PM..

Old 06-25-2022, 05:56 PM

146 posts, read 154,127 times
Having been to Anchorage several times in the last few years, it is not impressive. It looks run down and tons of homeless people. I had one literally jump in front of my car while smiling ear to ear and it’s the closest I’ve ever been to hitting anyone, assuming some drug influence on them.

Once outside of anchorage it’s beautiful, and in speaking mainly to downtown.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:28 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,938,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Seattle - world class Pacific Rim city.

San Francsico - world class international city.

Anchorage - dingy backwater in the sticks near nothing.

I am not seeing any similarity between Anchorage and the other 2 vibrant, world-class cities. How is tech doing in Ancorage? SF and Seattle have it all over Anchorage and it is not even close IMHO.

Weather is mentioned. Seattle has cold winter rain. San Francisco as cold winter fog. Anchorage has snow up to your neck and extreme sub-zero temps. I don't think the average Seattle resident would find anything much to do during an Anchorage winter, that they are used to doing during an average Seattle winter.

I haven't been to Anchorage in a really long time. I am pretty sure it is hilly, but has nothing Seattle's Queen Ann & Capitol Hill, or San Francisco's Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Telegraph Hill and Twin Peaks. San Francisco is called the city of 7 hills.

I will leave it to the OP to compare as I just don't remember how hilly Anchorage is.

SF=Seattle all day, right down to the homeless camps.

I will say, if your favorite thing about living in Seattle is that you can be driving in rugged mountains in just 20 minutes by talking I-90 east, that is something you can do in Anchorage that you can't do in San Francisco. I will give you that one.

Vancouver BC is world class for this area. Seattle is just there for business or visiting relatives.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:33 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,291,410 times
San Fran, definitely.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Vancouver BC is world class for this area. Seattle is just there for business or visiting relatives.

Seattle - 41 million tourists in 2019. That is DOUBLE the entire nation of Canada at 22 million.

Seattle area sees record number of tourists for 10th year in a row

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/artic...r-15083215.php

Canada experiences third consecutive record-breaking year for tourism in 2019

https://www.destinationcanada.com/en...r-tourism-2019

What am I missing?

Old 06-25-2022, 08:42 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
You are missing no covid crossings.

But point taken as even without covid the numbers would sway that direction.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
You are missing no covid crossings.

But point taken as even without covid the numbers would sway that direction.

2019 numbers. Pre-Covid shutdowns.

Old 06-26-2022, 08:30 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,938,725 times
There was a previous thread about Vancouver BC and how Seattle could aspire to be Vancouver. In Hong Kong where I am from the wealthy do not aim to live in Seattle unless its for work. If they wish to leave for better quality of life its Vancouver BC. Its a destination city for wealthy people from all over Asia for relocation if they can pull off the high price tag.

I am very jealous of life in Vancouver BC aside from the horrible traffic, which is worse than here imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area