Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 07:28 AM

8,185 posts, read 8,339,959 times

Advertisements

Article link here: https://www.king5.com/amp/article/ne...3-251e3be58b95

“This weekend is forecasted to be the warmest weather western Washington has seen since October with temperatures expected to reach the mid- to upper-80s and into the lower 90s.

If you’re looking to buy a window air conditioner or a portable air conditioner before the weekend, we’ve rounded up where you can find them in stock and available for same-day pickup.

Your safest bet for being able to walk out of a store with an air conditioner is Home Depot or Lowe’s as they have the largest selection of room sizes for window and portable A/C units.

The Home Depot locations in Seattle and the surrounding area have the largest available selection available. As of Wednesday afternoon, the stores have 27 different types of window units and 11 types of portable units in stock.

Lowe’s stores in the Seattle area have 15 different types of window units and eight types of portable units available.

Best Buy locations north and south of Seattle and in Bellevue and Issaquah have both window and portable units available, but their selection type is limited.

The Walmart Supercenters in Everett and Renton and the Lynnwood store also have limited selections for the type of window and portable units available.

The Seattle area Target locations only have window units available for same-day pickup.

Only one Ace Hardware in Seattle has air conditioners in stock, according to its website. You can find window and portable units available for same-day pickup at multiple stores north and south of Seattle.

Seattle: Hero Ace Hardware - window and portable units
Renton: Fairwood Ace Hardware – window and portable units
Renton: Highlands Ace Hardware – window units only
Normandy Park: Ace Hardware – window units only
Mountlake Terrace: Cedar Plaza Ace Hardware – window and portable units
Edmonds: Edmonds Bowl Ace Hardware – window units only
Make sure to double-check if the nearest store has the specific unit and room size you’re looking for before heading out the door.

It's important to know the warnings and symptoms of heat-related illness to help protect yourself and others against potentially life-threatening illnesses”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2023, 08:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,689 posts, read 81,510,683 times
Our last one came from Amazon, and they still have several models available for delivery tomorrow.

I already installed the one in our bedroom, and will put up the family room one tomorrow. Even with the current warmer summer trend, I find them to be far more practical (lower PSE bill) than getting a full-house system, which would cool rooms we never use. I have to also remember to open up the vents on the greenhouse, already yesterday afternoon it hit 99 inside it.

Old 05-11-2023, 10:18 AM

32,694 posts, read 48,250,531 times
If you think you will want a window unit, get it now, As soon as the first hot day hits, people rush out and buy an AC and the stores sell out quick. A couple of hot days later, there wont be a window unit for sale anywhere.

Old 05-11-2023, 04:39 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,291,086 times
My portable AC came from Amazon, but the guys at Hero Ace Hardware helped me find the right pieces of hardware to connect the hose on it, to the existing portal on my window which didn't quite match in size. They were very helpful.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:02 AM

7,544 posts, read 17,277,534 times
Costco also has a couple models.

Old 06-01-2023, 10:28 AM

13,101 posts, read 7,574,408 times
47 degF, Wed night, 5/31.
YTMV

Old 06-06-2023, 08:49 AM

176 posts, read 136,099 times
I also saw that Costco has some of those free-standing models. I would highly recommend having an air conditioning unit (or 2) on hand as this summer could turn out to be a rough wildfire season and windows could be closed often due to smoke.

I should add, though, that CliffMass is predicting a cooler, wetter period ahead. I remember a summer in west.WA (maybe 10 yrs ago?) that had fairly chilly temps w rain in August. That year we had a pretty nice spring. There's this idea that we only get a certain amount of sunny days around here and they were all used up in the spring! LOL

Last edited by Hebrews12; 06-06-2023 at 09:00 AM..

Old 06-06-2023, 09:15 AM

102,260 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our last one came from Amazon, and they still have several models available for delivery tomorrow.

I already installed the one in our bedroom, and will put up the family room one tomorrow. Even with the current warmer summer trend, I find them to be far more practical (lower PSE bill) than getting a full-house system, which would cool rooms we never use. I have to also remember to open up the vents on the greenhouse, already yesterday afternoon it hit 99 inside it.
Are you sure about that? I've been surprised as to how affordable it is to run central A/C. Window units draw more electricity to run, so if you have more than one, it adds up. Of course with central A/C, the big expense is buying in, but usually, the HVAC guys give you a more efficient furnace in a heat/AC combo unit, so you save a little on winter heating in the bargain. But if you're happy with the electric bills while running 2 window units, there's no need to get central, I guess. Especially in the NW, where you only need to run them for a few days or a week at a time, sporadically.

I don't know what the electrical utilities will do, when the climate becomes warmer consistently, so people have to use A/C more regularly. Are they preparing for that eventuality? Is foresight in their job description? In the Seattle area, it's a public utility; is there any oversight of management?

Old 06-06-2023, 09:19 AM

102,260 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
47 degF, Wed night, 5/31.
YTMV
It's not the nighttime temps people are concerned about, mainly.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:50 AM

176 posts, read 136,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you sure about that? I've been surprised as to how affordable it is to run central A/C. Window units draw more electricity to run, so if you have more than one, it adds up. Of course with central A/C, the big expense is buying in, but usually, the HVAC guys give you a more efficient furnace in a heat/AC combo unit, so you save a little on winter heating in the bargain. But if you're happy with the electric bills while running 2 window units, there's no need to get central, I guess. Especially in the NW, where you only need to run them for a few days or a week at a time, sporadically.

I don't know what the electrical utilities will do, when the climate becomes warmer consistently, so people have to use A/C more regularly. Are they preparing for that eventuality? Is foresight in their job description? In the Seattle area, it's a public utility; is there any oversight of management?
We have a heat pump (plus a gas furnance backup for freezing temps as our heat pump doesn't work below certain temps). It also cools in the summer and works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area