Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:04 PM

854 posts, read 4,140,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructoman! View Post
Call me a sexist pig, but I think knowing that a woman is suffering to look good makes her all the more sexy!
No problem. You're a @#$*()!@ pig. That is despicable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 02:09 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
no he isnt.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:15 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
I used to sell furniture in the early 90s. At the time, it was all suits and ties. Now, the trend has relaxed. I like to dress casual. The shirt just has to have a collar. I like it better. When a suit heads for you, you tend to want to run the other way. I feel like customers feel I am more friendly. I also would rather throw the shirt in the wash, and wear it another day. I had to dryclean my suite, press my shirt in the morning, shine my shoes, and mess with that effen tie every day. No thanks. I don't think a suit is good for anything other that a job interview.

Rich people don't wear suits, they were polo shirts and comfortable pants.

I hope the formal suit and tie goes away for good. Thank goodness we are not wearing top hats anymore.

At one time, men wore wigs. If you were anybody, you had a wig. If that one can go away, then theres hope for all of us casual dress fans.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:36 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
I have been to many different parts of the country and frankly I don't see it being worse in Seattle. It's bad everywhere. Especially with men. I am not saying people should dress up but I feel like I am overdressed if I go to the grocery store or Walmart in anything more expensive than a t-shirt and jeans. Even a golf shirt (with an actual collar on it!!!)is overdressing nowadays. I do draw the line at those gawdawful shirts with the cutoff sleeves or the wifebeater shirts. And the men wearing them always have hairy biceps. nice.
Do the men wearing those things have no clue how bad they look? I guess not, or maybe they don't care.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:42 PM

73 posts, read 248,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
Jenlion, whether or not you find it despicable there is an element of sadism and violence in humanity, and that sadism and violence can and does influence aspects of human sexuality. Do you think bondage is sexually deviant? Think about corsets, handcuffs, restraints etc. Is every male who is into these things a "@#$*()!@ pig"? What about women who are into corsetry or like to be tied up? Are they simply victims of male oppression? Or is there inherent degrees of sadism and masochism to human sexuality?

Methinks you should lighten up a little and quit reading those Andrea Dworkin books.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:00 PM

When I was comparing today to the 20's and 30's I didn't necessarily mean that I thought everyone should wear a suit all the time, but have some fashion sense, even if it's Carhart head to toe.

Things that bother me:

a) North Face- Nothing says "I'm a boring white ***hole with disposable income than a North Face Jacket. Worse than REI.

b) White guys who wear straight-leg blue jeans with dorky white running shoes. Nothing says "I'm a boring middle aged straight white guy with no sense of style whatsoever" than this!

c) Luney Tunes shirts - If you wear a Luney Tunes shirt and you are over the age of 12 you are either 1) Total white trash or 2) a hot ghetto mess.

d) Uggs and the other furry boot things - makes the chicks who wear them look like "eskimo hookers".

e) This new trend for boys to wear tight girlie jeans. The worst is when they wear them tight at the legs and have them loose at the waist so they sag, turning their style into a bast ard child of 80's punk and homey-g wear.

f) Studded belts - They were edgy 10 years ago kids, now they are just cliche.

g) Converse chuck-taylors. I know, classic shoes and I used to love them until the became the Nike's of the indie-rock/punk crowd.

Hmmm... thats all I got for now... feel free to add to my list anyone

Old 06-29-2008, 03:08 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Things that bother me:

a) People who are out there judging me based on the brand of fleece I'm wearing.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Things that bother me:

a) People who are out there judging me based on the brand of fleece I'm wearing.
Not to be shallow, but indeed the clothes people wear does reveal a lot about who they are as individuals.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,689 times
If i can afford to, I would have more fashion days than casual days, but I can't and I have enough confindence to have even less than casual days. My boyfriend is a critic also (probably doesn't notice he is), but hey I'm not going broke to look good. Besides I can make anything look good! LOL... but if someone is handing out shopping sprees, give me a hollerrrr!!!

Old 06-29-2008, 03:37 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
I think Seattle-ites are particularly frumpy. I've seen a lot of women around here who look like they're wearing the pup tent they just went camping with.

And just for the record I.despise.hoodies. They're great if you're 19 and late for class in the rain, but other than that they are the baggiest most unflattering slovenly sweatshirt ever. Nobody looks good in a hoodie.

And the orthopedic footwear around here is unsightly. Rocksport, birkenstock, some kind of exotic Swedeish reformed tire--they're all ugly. Pair those clunkers with a hoodie worn over a pup tent and you have a fashionbly dressed vagrant Seattle-ite.

To complete the picture, add a mucho grande Starbucks cup in hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: