Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 05:22 PM

355 posts, read 990,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructoman! View Post
Get your mind out of the gutter!

Naw... Keep it there, I like the way you think!
LOL.....my mind's been in the gutter for most of my 50 years.....and my husband loves it!!

Sorry if that offends any feminists out there....but hey, I'm having a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 08:10 PM

59 posts, read 224,235 times
Sucks to be you I guess.

I'm not rich, but I'm not poor. I guess I have some of that dreaded disposable income that apparently riles you so much. I wear what I want, and that's usually jeans, t-shirt, brown leather boots, and <gasp> a Northface jacket. I could wear a suit everyday, but to what end?

My clothes are clean, not worn or threadbare, and certainly not slovenly. One of the things I love about Seattle is that when it comes to how people dress, there are more people like me than there are like you.

So, you have the problem, not us. Sell a few of your expensive suits, buy a plane ticket and leave us casual dressers behind. Think how much better your life will be when you're surrounded by like minded individuals. People who judge you based on appearances are the best people there are!

You know what they say, "Suits make the man!".

Old 06-29-2008, 08:32 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,706,292 times
I'm frustrated with my fashion sense in Seattle

I've become very frumpy. Lately (since back from Maternity Leave) I decided I don't care to look frumpy anymore - I press my hair, I put on cute heels - I wear jewelry and I look "put together" - everyone at the office notices now

I used to look like I rolled out of bed (snever did in Calif) - the weather here really made me feel cold and damp and dumpy

Old 06-29-2008, 10:47 PM

111 posts, read 412,529 times
Wow, great going fastsix; no wonder why people in Seattle look the way they do, coz they think they're in the majority; how lame.

Why don't we all go naked to work, grocery store, etc? It's unnerving to see people dressed up so sloppy; it's alright to dress up funky, crazy for a concert, etc. but everyday, bah...

anyway my two cents.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:01 PM

700 posts, read 2,597,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
Of course Seattle's a big culprit. Why wear a suit if it's just going to get wet? I know someone's going to counter me with the New York Gets More Rain line that I'm so sick of, but we get the second most days out of any major city where there's measurable precipitation, so you have a really good chance of getting rained on.

I'm also one of those who would kill themself if they had to wear a suit every day. Gets waaaaaaay too hot indoors, especially in a place like here where heaters are far more common than air conditioners. Don't know how it would be if I moved somewhere else.

Arent you moving to Tokyo??...
Hot and Humid here and still the salarymen and women on the train in the black suits from hell.
Suits are still the norm here, no matter what line of work.

Im and executive chef and Im still expected to wear Armani when I go out for a **** up!

Old 06-29-2008, 11:08 PM

478 posts, read 2,304,522 times
Fashion evolved from social markers, upon which people's socio-economic status was judged by their clothing.

Enter the internet generation ... the men behind Microsoft, Facebook, Myspace, Yahoo, Apple -- these men are not fashion plates. They don't have to be. They have created a virtual society in which anyone can be anything, at any time (and we are utilizing that technology right now). As a result ... initial appearances can no longer be trusted. This is particularly true in Seattle. The person most likely to "dress up" has someone to impress; the person who is dressing down has no one to impress and is more than likely a person who has created their own success.

About half of my friends in Seattle are holdovers from the Golden Age at Microsoft, when nearly every employee with stock options became a millionaire. These people NEVER dress up. They wear their D&D t-shirts with pride, they wear jeans to work (if they still work), and they don't care because the corporate culture that exists around these people accepts that they will wear whatever they want, whenever they feel like it.

Fashion evolves, and we are on the cusp of a new revolution. Like it or not, the geeks are running the show and they are the new lynchpins.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:00 AM

700 posts, read 2,597,066 times
Fashion evolves, and we are on the cusp of a new revolution. Like it or not, the geeks are running the show and they are the new lynchpins....

"and the meek shall inheirit the earth" ~ mr. big.

Wow I should rethink my stance now!! I knew I shouldnt have beat up those audio video club geeks on the playground.

I remember once, my father was picking up the bill at a fancy restaurant. The waiter looked at my dad like he was a pauper that would soon be washing dishes or paying with pennies....because he was not wearing a jacket and tye.
He was not dressed like a complete otter scrubber, but yes he had hippie overtones and a pony-tail ( this was in the 80's) When my father payed with a gold amex and gave the guy a huge tip (it was good service) the waiter was stunned. My father knew that the waiter was judging him from his cover, so I asked "Dad, why didnt you teach this jerk a lesson?" My father replied "I did". Whether he did or didnt I respect that my old man took the higher road....pony tail and all.

I think of a suit as a tool, that is needed in some occasions, however to judge someone because they have no need for the same tools or image you do is just juvenille and not very business savvy. In Seattle/San Francisco etc, there are people that can easily impress you with outward sign of oppulant wealth, however more impressive is the ones that dont,and impress you with the type of person they are.

I think that it is important to have some idea of when and where you should dress a certain way, while maintaining some kind of personal identity and style.

I like the come to work naked idea, however being a chef it may be a little dangerous...

Old 06-30-2008, 12:03 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,600,241 times
I think guys who wear Diesel jeans, $90 t-shirts and pointy leather shoes look like friggin tools. If I found an Ambercrombie or Hollister catalog at a friends house, I would have to probably end the friendship. I usually wear jeans, skate shoes and a hoodie/windbreaker. It's stylish, but not in a "bro look how much money I have, do you want to make out??" d-bag/closeted way. Yes I am in the IT field and yes that is what I wear to work. Sue me.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:47 AM

576 posts, read 1,819,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Arent you moving to Tokyo??...
Hot and Humid here and still the salarymen and women on the train in the black suits from hell.
Suits are still the norm here, no matter what line of work.

Im and executive chef and Im still expected to wear Armani when I go out for a **** up!

I'm moving? There's a reason why I have to qualify my location with "hopefully". Depends on whether or not I can find a job over there, which is looking very iffy. Apparently my lack of work experience is probably going to do me in... I was in full-blown panic mode last week about whether I'd be able to find a job or not.

At least indoors it's probably air conditioned... And I'd do just about anything to live in Tokyo.

Last edited by tada; 06-30-2008 at 02:16 AM..

Old 06-30-2008, 04:13 AM

349 posts, read 1,545,319 times
When I was in Seattle last week I was surprised at all the people downtown wearing dreary looking clothes. Dull colors, like the weather is most of the time I suppose. Also baggy clothes, lack of fit. Some looked like they were out hiking with backpacks in the middle of the city. My sister-in-law tells me it's because they are taking ferry's and commuting on foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: