Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 AM

30 posts, read 105,712 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm going to be in Seattle on Wednesday for 15 days. Just signed up with the Army Reserves and going to move there in 6 months or so when all my training is done. I chose Seattle over New Orleans, and hoping I made the right decision. And it looks like I did.

Couple of questions,...where can I eat? I'll be by myself, so no romantic restaurants. Good local eateries. I noticed there is Jack in the Box there.

And where are some good movie theatres? Here, I go to the same theatre every time because it's so good.

Thanks alot. I know of all the tourist things to do, but if you have any out-of-the-ordinary things to do, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 11:45 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,109,064 times
Hi. Since this is hurricane season on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts, I think you made a very smart decision. And autumn in Seattle can be pretty, as well as chilly.

If you want to do all your eating at Jack in the Box type places, you'll find McD, Burger King, Wendy's and so forth. If you can tell us where you'll be staying, we can give you locations for such places.

But Seattle is the seafood capital of the U.S. Almost all of our restaurants are not "romantic" first, food second. They're all food first. We have to-die-for seafood restaurants, steak restaurants, and a dizzying variety of ethnic restaurants. We even have a local seafood restaurant, Ivar's, which is not expensive and has branches all over the place.

Here's the whole list. Click on Types of Food to get an idea of how you'll never ever ever ever hit them all in a year, so you'll find lots of fun for 15 days!
Seattle Restaurants | Restaurant menus, reviews and maps on urbanspoon.com

If you tell us where you expect to stay, we can show you where the movie theaters are near there. We have tons.

Happy planning!

Old 09-18-2008, 12:24 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,846,288 times
Default Acres of clams!

Some celebratory meal specials at Ivar's:

Ivar's turns 70: Bring on the meal deals

Old 09-18-2008, 02:07 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,109,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Some celebratory meal specials at Ivar's:

Ivar's turns 70: Bring on the meal deals
Keep clam!

I saw on the news last night that during this celebration they're serving a cup of clam chowder for 70 cents!! Yahoo!!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:57 PM

161 posts, read 560,275 times
Lots of Jack in the Crack and McFat around here,but why not try some local places like Paseos and Acapulco Fresh and such?

Old 09-20-2008, 10:24 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,812,770 times
Try 13 Coins...its just a few blocks east of the Space Needle, be sure to sit at the counter and watch the cooking process... and then take a walk through REI which is just a block way

Just a couple blocks west of the Space needle is the Seattle Waterfront...there are many many good places to eat along the waterfront...several are the fast-food type that serve seafood

If you're in to a big breakfast meal in a long-time Seattle icon, that is not at all fancy..its called Beths Cafe on Aurora Ave near Green Lake.....24 hours

Another good little place is called the Shanty Cafe on Elliot Ave which is just a few blocks north along the waterfront...not at fancy but the food is good and the place is always busy, especially on Sundays

Ride the Washington State Ferry on the Seattle waterfront as a walk-on for something to do...

Old 09-20-2008, 11:49 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
Where are you coming from? (background....& tastes you seek....)

Might be easier to tell you where to go....

Old 09-21-2008, 10:34 AM

30 posts, read 105,712 times
Apologies if my Jack in the Box comment came off the wrong way. That wasn't meant to say that I'm looking to eat at fast-food places. Why do that when there are so many good places to eat that can only be found in Seattle? I can see myself having Jack's once and that's it.

70Ford: I'm coming from Tampa, Florida. Going to be a long flight. Not so much of a seafood guy, but I do like it.

Thanks for the tips. Captain Crunch offered some good ones. Def. looking forward to hopping on the monorail and especially the ferry. Will be even more exciting when I move to Seattle.

I leave on Wednesday. Looking forward to it. What I'm not looking forward to is the potential fall of WaMu. Have to find another bank it looks like, unfortunately.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:24 PM

300 posts, read 1,211,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeblossom View Post
Lots of Jack in the Crack and McFat around here,but why not try some local places like Paseos and Acapulco Fresh and such?
No offense, but this guy is coming from Florida. He'll know what good mexican food is supposed to taste like. Seattle has horrible mexican food.

If you've ever compared a xerox copy of a copy of a copy of a copy to the original, you've experienced mexican food in Seattle.

Minted rice and white bean burrito anyone? ::shudder::

Feel free to slam me and say "Hey man, you're a jerk... XYZ has GREAT fajitas in the truest sense of Tex-Mex/Mexican food.." I'll be the very, very, first one to tell you I'm wrong if you know of a place that's really good. I haven't found one and I've been jonesing for it since we got here. I get helpful suggestions like "Chipotle" and such.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:44 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,831,614 times
Wild Ginger...yum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area