Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 AM

173 posts, read 542,143 times

Advertisements

Moving in to a house in the Mirrormont Tiger Mountain area end of summer. As part of this I am trying to figure out how much snow we will get up there. Need to figure out if a snowblower for my tractor makes sens up there. Looking for average and highest and how often you generally see the highest. Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 03:00 AM

253 posts, read 571,605 times
There's a big ol' hole in Tiger Mountain.

God help the man that get's lost in Miller's Cave.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
There are days when the mountain gets snow on the top half when the lowlands get none, but it's just a dusting and surely not worth the expense of a snow blower as it normally melts before the end of the day. When it snows enough to be a problem the same happens all over the area and things pretty much shut down. That's 1-3 times a year most for a day or two only, most years. On the summit where highway 18 is, they do get more, but Mirrormont is only slightly higher elevation than the Plateau (Issaquah Highlands and Sammamish).

Old 08-06-2012, 07:44 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,375,333 times
Spend the money on a generator, instead. My brother and his family live up there and they are usually among the first to have power go out in a wind storm and the last to get it back on again. After the winds last winter, they were holed up at home for several days due to trees blown down across the roads, so be ready for that as well.

It's a great place to live, but just be prepared for several days without power and possibly access to stores.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:52 PM

Already have the generator in the budget. Thanks for the info!

Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 PM

653 posts, read 1,787,301 times
If my memory serves me correctly, the residential areas around the area your inquiring about averages about 800-1170 feet above sea level. Under the right conditions, there will be several times a winter when the snow level will come down low enough to get a change over to snow, normally when this happens.. you may get a couple inches or so but once a winter about 4 inches may fall and one winter out of three, you'll experiencing 8 or more inches. You'll want to watch for the storms that crank up out of the Gulf of Alaska and swing southeast into southwestern WA. state, drawing in colder air that seeps in from the Fraser Valley to the north when arctic air is present over BC and neighbouring western Canada. As earlier mentioned, the wind can be an issue up there and I've read many stories where folks were without power for days. That will be something you'll need to plan for. Hope your move is a successful one.. I can't wait to get back there someday soon.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 AM

Looked up where we are moving on a topo map. We will be about 650' ASL. Given that and a 300'+ driveway it looks like the snowblower will be in the plan. Thanks much for all the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area