Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:32 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
It wasn't all that long ago that Seattle had Republican elected officials. Former Senator Slade Gorton hailed from Magnolia, and former Gov Dan Evans was from North Capitol Hill. The Seattle City council counted Paul Kraabel and Bruce Chapman as Republicans amongst them. Seattle had a fairly long history of having a sizable number of moderate/liberal Republicans, who now seem to be extinct.
You're showing your age a bit Ira500 , Evans was governor from 1965-77, that's almost 2 generations of voters ago. Seattle, and western WA, has been going downhill more and more liberal for decades, there hasn't been a republican govenor in WA since 1985, and he only served one term.

The further east you go, the more conservative the state gets. Red went for John Kerry in 2004, blue went for Bush:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 09:51 PM

36 posts, read 153,845 times
IMO most of us here are more concerned about where to go hiking this coming weekend than what political party is doing what to whom My neighbors and I have never discussed politics. I know that we have differing political views (based on the election signs they put up in their yards), and yet we all get along just great, have neighborhood picnics, share gardening tips and tools, do block watch, kvetch about the one really trashy house on our street, etc.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:41 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You're showing your age a bit Ira500 , Evans was governor from 1965-77, that's almost 2 generations of voters ago. Seattle, and western WA, has been going downhill more and more liberal for decades, there hasn't been a republican govenor in WA since 1985, and he only served one term.

The further east you go, the more conservative the state gets. Red went for John Kerry in 2004, blue went for Bush:
I wouldn't say it's gone downhill. Good for Seattle and Wa

Aren't those colors backwards?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:25 PM

854 posts, read 4,141,972 times
There is at least one very strong and significant Republican in Seattle.

Google Maps

Old 01-12-2010, 11:35 PM

75 posts, read 254,803 times
lol, well thank you for all the responses. Please keep them coming!

I'm not a person thats crazy about who my neighbor is politically, I was just
curious about if there were people in Seattle that actually get together, campaign, talk
about issues, and ect. (Conservative / Libertarian / Republican / Moderate/ Conservative Dems)

From what I hear and see here, there are some.
And that only make me feel better about my move to Seattle.!

Please keep bringing on the info.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
And another influential Republican on Capitol Hill:

1500 e republican st, seattle, wa - Google Maps

Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 PM

75 posts, read 254,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
There is at least one very strong and significant Republican in Seattle.

Google Maps
Hilarious! lol

Old 01-13-2010, 05:41 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,664,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

Aren't those colors backwards?
No, that's the way they should be. Red has always been associated with leftist/liberal/progressive political causes, while blue has always been associated with "blue blood" conservatives. Why that's been switched around in American political discourse is a mystery -- it's totally counterintuitive.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib View Post
No, that's the way they should be. Red has always been associated with leftist/liberal/progressive political causes, while blue has always been associated with "blue blood" conservatives. Why that's been switched around in American political discourse is a mystery -- it's totally counterintuitive.
I think you're right:

• Blue, particularly dark blue, is often associated with Conservative parties, originating from its use by that party of the UK.
    • Light blue (azure) is used for the field of the flag of the United Nations. Though it was idealistically chosen to represent peace and hope, one use of the colour has appeared that refers to dealings with the UN in realpolitik terms, namely bluewashing.
    • In the United States, since the year 2000, the mass media has begun to associate blue with the Democratic Party, but the party has not adopted the color in any official sense.

Gotta love the media

Old 01-13-2010, 12:11 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,664,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

Gotta love the media
LOL! Ain't it the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area