Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 25,083 times

Advertisements

Can anybody let me know what are the differences between Lakemount and Montreux? I noticed Montreux street names are from Swizterland and Lakemont have numbered streets.

Is one better then another? HOA any different? Trails or parks any different? Etc, Etc. Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 11:42 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
I wouldn't say one is better than the other. They're basically side by side. There's really no difference in terms of parks and trails because there's a lot in the area and its very accessible.

They're both also right by the Issaquah zoo (its very small!). Only differences is A: Lakemont (Bellevue) is on a higher elevation than Montreux (Issaquah). B: Montreux also faces Lake Sammamish (does not necessarily mean you will have a water view though). C: Lakemont is also easily accessible to Newcastle which has the YMCA, that big fancy golf course, Safeway, QFC, the animal care Vet place and that one strip mall. (You can enter Lakemont from Montreux though.); whereas with Montreux, going to Issaquah and the DT can be a pain with all the traffic.

Issaquah and Bellevue each have their own school districts. I think Bellevue is suppose to be better. Issaquah is very good as well. I don't know anything about the HOA-- I will leave that up to someone else.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 12-23-2009 at 12:05 AM..

Old 12-23-2009, 06:50 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Montreaux has newer homes, all seem to be built in the early 1990's and later, and the neighborhood didn't really exist until then. Montreaux homes tend to be a little more expensive than Lakemont's, and many of the homes appear elegant and somewhat similar to each other. I think all the homes in Montreaux have CC&Rs and homeowner dues.
Lakemont has a mix of houses, some older, some newer. Some are part of developments, some just happened to be in the neighborhood, so not all homes in Lakemont have homeowner dues or sets of restrictions. Lakemont is a more established neighborhood, and has it's own little shopping center with a supermarket, a very pleasant place to shop. Lakemont is closer to the Cougar mountain trailhead.
I don't think it's a matter of one being better than the other...more a matter of where you'd feel more comfortable. Me, personally, I'd rather live in Lakemont. But some people feel safer in an area where all the homes have somewhat similar values and similar sizes, an area that's proud of how elegant it is.
I prefer a mixture of home types and people. Both areas are quite safe, but personally, I'd go crazy living in a place like Montreaux, always afraid that I'd be brought before the homeowners association as someone who didn't maintain the elegance of the neighborhood, or stared at because my car wasn't fancy enough. Lakemont feels a little more real, and the Red Apple supermarket there is upscale and friendly.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:43 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
The store on Lakemont Blvd is "Matthew's Thriftway". Not Red Apple (I think it went out of business and the closest location was in Newport Hills.)

Old 12-23-2009, 11:26 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Thanks Inkpoe. There was a Matthews Red Apple in the Wedgwood neighborhood in Seattle, and the Matthew's Thriftway in Lakemont, don't even know if it was the same Matthew...But I meant the Matthew's Thriftway as being a nice store.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 9,727 times
Default Lakemont vs. Montreux

Montreux is in Issaquah and Lakemont belongs to Bellevue. Montreux homes cost a little more and there are no parks. But there are private lakes instead. The school districts are different. Both have very good school systems. The residents are mostly successful retirees, business owners and executives. Very few children especially in Montreux. Montreux does not have street lighting and the HOA requires all homes to light the street. The landscaping is beautiful with hefty dues.
The history of Montreux was that it was developed as a gated community so that road was private and the residents bore the costs. The covenant also stated that when looking up the Cougar Mountain from below, the mountain had to the dark, hence no street lighting. Later due to changes, the gated community was dropped and the mountain road joined to Lakemont and became public domain.
It is really seamless except for the school district, which doesn't matter since most of the kids attend private school anyway. In Montreux, the water, emergency services and phone numbers were all Bellevue when I resided there.
The turnover is quite high with corporate moves and retirement to the sunbelt.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:33 AM

522 posts, read 2,626,103 times
Actually we lived in Lakemont and our mailing address was Bellevue but our school dist was Issaquah. Not all of Lakemont goes to Belleve so make sure you find that out before purchasing a specific home. We loved living up there, loved walking to Mathews and Starbucks daily and loved the great neighborhood parks!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 9,553 times
Default Lakemont vs. Montreux

We live in Montreux and I feel Lakemont and Montreux are a continuum up on Cougar Mountain. Very similar.
Montreux is a smaller development (the Lakes, the Rim, townhomes), and is in Issaquah proper.
Both communities are in the Issaquah school district, which is good (all Eastside schools are good).
We are only 1.5 miles to Mathews shopping which we love. Just a hop to the excellent trail system.
Virtually no difference except Montreux will feel smaller,
and the speed limit is 25!
p.s. Our HOA dues are only $220/quarter - all going to maintain that impressive fountain and gorgeous landscaping coming up the hill!

Old 05-24-2010, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 8,990 times
If I might chime in. I happened to be one of the original on site sales persons for The Lakemont Sales Team back in 1992 and saw it through to its completion. I still sponsor The Spring Egg Hunt(just had our 18th year) as an agent with Windermere Real Estate and am still on the Design Review Board at Lakemont. Most of the comments are correct in relationship to addresses and schools. And of course opinions are duly noted as just that.

From a marketing aspect (real estate sales)Lakemont has taken on a whole new geographical area. It covers an area South of Newport Way darn near to The Reserve at Newcastle. Even Montreux gets lumped into Lakemont periodically. Specifically The Montreux community consists of about 225 homes built out in 4 different divisions. They hosted the 1991 Street of Dreams. The final divisions were built out in the mid to late 90's. Lakemont started its development in 1990 and selling homes in 1991. It hosted The 1994 Street of Dreams.

Lakemont consists of 14 different neighborhoods and 625 homesites. In todays market the price ranges would be from $600,000 to $2,500,000 with an exception or two. Montreux ranges from $500,000 to $1,500,000 with maybe a couple of homes approaching $2 million. Both areas feature views of Lake Sammamish and The Cascade Mountains with Lakemont having a considerable advantage there. Lakemonts homeowners dues are about $325 a year and Montreux's about $900.00.

This was due to the local jurisdictions allowing for a lot more landscaping by Montruex and subsequently limiting Lakemont to as much natural vegetation as possible. The idea being less need for fertilzers etc. as the water runoff would affect Lake Sammamish. The Lakemont development was mandated to building an enormous storm drainage system where the storm water was captured and cleaned before releasing it down the hill. The drain fields are visible at Lakemont Park with cleansing mechanism under the parking area.
Lakemont was originally marketed as a "Planned Community". In other words the neighborhoods were designed to be family friendly with separate neighborhood entries, lots of cul de sacs and a system of neighborhood parks, trails and greenbelts throughout. At the center of the community is the larger Lakemont Park and the shopping village at Lakemont.

I would have to say that today as you drove through the different neighborhoods, the only differences noticed by most people would be the names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area