Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times

Advertisements

I've thought of using a windmill, that is, a wind powered pump. I have been able to find little information on this. I'd want to install a cistern up the hill far enough to have good water pressure without using a jet pump to bring water from my existing cistern into the house. The cistern is necessary as I have a low flow well. I do not want a wind turbine as I have read poor reports on their reliability, whereas not much can go wrong with a pump, and parts can be fabricated locally if necessary.

Does anyone here have experience with a system like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 07:33 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We have a regular well, drilled to 200 foot and the water comes up to 68 foot.

We have power outages from time to time, sometimes for an hour sometimes for a few days. So we have looked at what alternatives exist. Mostly for ourselves and livestock when the power is out.

For $30 I can get a handpump that will lift up to 20 foot. In this region I do not need to go any deeper than 10 foot to get water. So this handpump on 10' of pipe set in a half drum filled with gravel would be an option.

Another option is to spend $800 on a fancy handpump that can lift further than 20 foot and slide it's pipe down inside of our existing well casing. This pump plus 80' of pipe and a different well cap, maybe just over $900 out of pocket.

I do not see any problem with having a handpump here as an alternative to our electric well pump.
Budget is a consideration for a lot of folks... whether we like to admit it or not. In a self-sufficiency and survival situation, it's even more dire.

Here's some food for thought... a little break down of our analysis for sourcing water at our place. Keep in mind that we have NO regulations, permits or inspections -- the only thing DEC cares about here is that your crapper is downhill from your water source -- and we live way the heck out in the middle of nowhere compared to most folks YMMV

Shallow dug cistern well:
  • by hand with a shovel, lined with rock - $0
  • hiring a backhoe - $250
  • purchasing brick, block or bagged concrete - $350
  • having those materials delivered - $600
  • having concrete poured from a mixer truck - impossible due to distance
  • Rope and bucket - $10
  • Shallow cistern pump & pipe - $30
  • Max Total: $830
Shallow, narrow bore sandpoint driven well:
  • by hand, 20' - $75 for drive point, 2 lengths of threaded pipe and a drive cap
  • hiring a tractor to drive the pipe - $75
  • shallow cistern pump - $20
  • Max Total: $170
Deep, wide bore sandpoint driven well:
  • by hand 50' (minimum for drilled well) - $75
  • hiring a tractor to drive the pipe - $150
  • deep well inner casing and hand pump - $400
  • DC electric pump - $300 (additional to power generation)
  • Max Total: $925
Drilled and cased well:
  • transportation of driller and equipment - $5000 up front
  • drilling - $100/ft cased, $50/ft for dry holes or drill-throughs -- no guarantees, no limits... but there is a minimum of 50ft
  • DC electric pump - $300
  • Min Total: $10,700

Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
My dad was a well driller. I learned from him. I've driven many a foot of 2" galvanized pipe opened ended after boring a lead hole as deep as possible with an auger. Any water these days from shallow hand driven wells certainly needs to be tested for safety. You need a pump and barrels of water to wash the pipe out as you go. We had special make drill bits for drilling through bed rock to get to the aquifer underneath. Once the casing was seated in hard rock we only drilled until the drill flush water went down instead of coming up. After that we put a gas pump on and pumped until all the sand stopped coming and the water was clear. We actually were pumping out a cavern under the rock for water to come into. It's not rocket science but can be intensive labor. My days for doing this kind of manual labor are over. We drove the pipe with a heavy weight on top of a shaft. Pick it up and slam it down. When the hammer just bounces you know it is seated in rock.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
My dad was a well driller. I learned from him. I've driven many a foot of 2" galvanized pipe opened ended after boring a lead hole as deep as possible with an auger. Any water these days from shallow hand driven wells certainly needs to be tested for safety. You need a pump and barrels of water to wash the pipe out as you go. We had special make drill bits for drilling through bed rock to get to the aquifer underneath. Once the casing was seated in hard rock we only drilled until the drill flush water went down instead of coming up. After that we put a gas pump on and pumped until all the sand stopped coming and the water was clear. We actually were pumping out a cavern under the rock for water to come into. It's not rocket science but can be intensive labor. My days for doing this kind of manual labor are over. We drove the pipe with a heavy weight on top of a shaft. Pick it up and slam it down. When the hammer just bounces you know it is seated in rock.
Wow...that is WORK!!!!!

My rig drills about 60 foot an hour in the drift and 40/50 foot an hour in the bedrock. We drill almost an 8" hole to set 5" PVC casing. Really grouting and moving equipment is what takes the most time.

We drill the well one day and do the hook-up the next.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:09 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Wow...that is WORK!!!!!

My rig drills about 60 foot an hour in the drift and 40/50 foot an hour in the bedrock. We drill almost an 8" hole to set 5" PVC casing. Really grouting and moving equipment is what takes the most time.

We drill the well one day and do the hook-up the next.
Yes it is work. Not for me anymore. My choice would be a gravel pack well like you do with a good 4" submersible pump with back up generator. The easiest well I ever put down I used a stainless well point and the total depth was 7' and it pumped 100 gallons a minute. Irrigation water, non potable. I don't remember anything by hand open case over maybe 60'. My late father worked with some big rigs that put down 30" steel casings. That would be over kill for a homestead. I want a good well that will supply a house and irrigate up to a couple of acres of garden and corn for animal feed. The specs you have mentioned should be good with the right pump and good water supply in the well.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Yes it is work. Not for me anymore. My choice would be a gravel pack well like you do with a good 4" submersible pump with back up generator. The easiest well I ever put down I used a stainless well point and the total depth was 7' and it pumped 100 gallons a minute. Irrigation water, non potable. I don't remember anything by hand open case over maybe 60'. My late father worked with some big rigs that put down 30" steel casings. That would be over kill for a homestead. I want a good well that will supply a house and irrigate up to a couple of acres of garden and corn for animal feed. The specs you have mentioned should be good with the right pump and good water supply in the well.
I am in Michigan, the amount of water the wells produce in our area goes from 100+ GPM down to being lucky we get 7/10 GPM. This is due to glacier activity.

No well will produce more the the pump in it. Not even a flow in Michigan, we can not let them flow now.

We also have to get special permits to take more than 70 GPM with a finished well.

This is what about 60 GPM looks like being pumped with the air compressor on the rig. This is how we develop the well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0125.jpg
Views:	4501
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	68587

Old 09-22-2010, 06:18 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Budget is a consideration for a lot of folks... whether we like to admit it or not. In a self-sufficiency and survival situation, it's even more dire.

Here's some food for thought... a little break down of our analysis for sourcing water at our place. Keep in mind that we have NO regulations, permits or inspections -- the only thing DEC cares about here is that your crapper is downhill from your water source -- and we live way the heck out in the middle of nowhere compared to most folks YMMV

• Rope and bucket - $10
  • by hand, 20' - $75 for drive point, 2 lengths of threaded pipe and a drive cap
Drilled and cased well:
  • drilling - $100/ft cased, $50/ft for dry holes or drill-throughs -- no guarantees, no limits... but there is a minimum of 50ft
Good info.

I have my own backhoe, digging a 10foot deep hole is no problem for me.

This summer while doing another project I consistantly hit water at 2 foot down.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post

• Rope and bucket - $10
Drilled and cased well:
Not true for a drilled well in Michigan at all.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:47 AM

They are also two types of wells.

A drift or screened well get the water from water bearing sand. With these we use a screen and gravel pack.

The second kind, we drill into the bedrock and get the water there. No screen, just two shale traps on the outside of the casing to seal the well.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
We had a granite well on our farm when I bought it in 1978 ( 330 ft deep)........excellent water

All our neighbors had granite wells, some as deep as 600 ft.

In the early 80's, suddenly none of them could produce enough water for the dairy farms.

A witcher was kept busy as finding water is hard in our area.
Today, most farms have 60-70 ft wells that water up to 300 head of cattle.

Dry holes are common when drilling if you don't hit the vein that runs east/west.

Thus the need for a witcher in our area.

If I was going thru a lot of hard labor to get water, I would get a witcher unless I was certain that water could be found anywhere I wanted to dig/pound.

Equally as important when one is dishing out big bucks $$$$$$$ to get a well drilled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness