Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In your area the Health Department tells you where to drill?
They sure do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
In your area the Health Department tells you where to drill?
They sure do.

That is why we have to call Miss Dig BEFORE they get there. The underground utilities must be marked.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 AM

In many states you do not own the groundwater under your land.

A few SW states, they do not own any rain water they collect.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Well, this has turned into a stimulating discussion but with no real resolution on drilling your own well without a pro. Like Marmac says, I'll take the free services of a diviner, thanks, even if he looks and acts like an African witch doctor while performing his magic.

And Missing's well-quote figures should give you all the motivation you need to at least TRY one of the methods on the two sites I posted. A professionally drilled well nowadays is a budget-buster for most prepper budgets.
How are you going to do anything like a pro without the equipment???? When I an done with a well, I have had over a million dollars worth of equipment on the site.

Tell us how you will grout......

Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,950,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
In our area, the health dept only tells you the few areas that you can not drill.
Same in AK. We can't out a well downhill of outhouse/septic. We can't put a well within 100' of a house or barn. We can't put a well within 50' of an open waterway or public road. If the well is downhill of an open waterway, the casing or pipe must extend above the maximum flood level and be bermed. That's it.

Finding water is pretty easy in this area since we are in a large river drainage valley between two mountain ranges. We don't hit an aquifer as much as hitting the underground river. We don't have bedrock to worry about, just permafrost, ice lenses and frozen glacial silt clay.

Normally, you have two options if you want to have a better chance of hitting water in most places. You can hire a diviner or you can hire a geo-tech engineer to come and drill samples, and (if you're lucky and rich) conduct the tests that let you see what's underground like a sonogram. And if you're super lucky, you're one of those folks who can feel water underground yourself.

But in any case, the driller doesn't get to determine where they drill here. They're professionals and have lots of great knowledge and advice, so it pays to listen to them if they really object to where you want it drilled. I've never had any driller object to where the diviner marked in any of the 6 wells that I've been party to having drilled. In those 6 wells, the diviner had it spot-on, including the depth and rate of flow. Only once was the water actually harder to get to than expected... and that was because no one expected a granite shelf 6' thick only 10' down, but the water was right at 25' where he said it was.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Oh this will be good. I am reluctant to post at all since nothing I say ever works with marmac, but i agree with him this time. Witchers work, and usually for free.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
They sure do.
For our well, the drilling crew said that they would hit water anywhere in our township. The only variable was how deep they had to dig to hit a solid ledge to set the casing onto. They asked me where I wanted to well to be, and I pointed to a spot.

Afterwards they filled out a form that they had to send to the state.

There was no interaction with the state prior to the well being drilled.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Oh this will be good. I am reluctant to post at all since nothing I say ever works with marmac, but i agree with him this time. Witchers work, and usually for free.
Why don't the "witchers" go witch in the middle east??

Look at all the money they would make.......

Old 09-22-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
For our well, the drilling crew said that they would hit water anywhere in our township. The only variable was how deep they had to dig to hit a solid ledge to set the casing onto. They asked me where I wanted to well to be, and I pointed to a spot.

Afterwards they filled out a form that they had to send to the state.

There was no interaction with the state prior to the well being drilled.
SOH2O – Save Our Water » Wells, Maine

Looks like a little war is on now.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:21 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
I dunno... I watched it done here with an eye towards scorn, but it worked. The water was there and it was predicted just how deep down and that was right too. At that point curiosity took over and I asked a few questions, and suddenly was handed over the brass rods to try myself.

That worked too, but backwards, and the diviner could not explain why the rod worked wrong in my hands, but another hole was dug and the water was found at the depth the witcher predicted again.

I could feel this in my own hands, and see the results which made a beleiver then and there. I am not saying I can do this anytime and place I want, but that other people can.

I have no idea how it works or why, it just does with some people.

The where was a little of a surprise to me as well since were apx 1,250 feet up the side of the Ossipee Ringdike , pretty far from the low lands below. But less than 10 feet down was chrystal clear fine water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness