Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:44 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,703,331 times

Advertisements

Water
Chapstick
Mosturizer
Dog food
shelter
food
hotel reservations
cell phone
kindle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 07:15 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,979,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Water
Chapstick
Mosturizer
Dog food
shelter
food
hotel reservations
cell phone
kindle
Water good
Chapstick Ok
Dog food not very good, and a little yucky unless yer a dog.
Shelter good
Food good and better than that dog food you wanna eat.
Hotel Res, Ok if it is out of the effected area, other wise it will be a hot/cold dank stinking pit. No power and Inns get real stinky like a restarant upon opening, just nasty.

Cell Phone??? It won't work..... No power

Kindle???? what's that?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:26 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,209,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Nice list, really it is, but either you worked for 10, or I am not sure what.

5 Family isn't needed to survive, as there are single folks all left that's of a family. But I still appreciate the idea.

8 firearms are just tools.

10 is a no brainer, and assumed. To bad people don't use it more often huh? (not a wise crack aimed at you)

7 meds is tools too.

Sometimes modern man list emergency items like whistle and signal mirrors as one of the base 5 , but these are just tools, and not everyone wants to be found.

6 God, you won't find me whining, but that's likey to be a can of worms. I got my mustard seed.

people would assume that knowledge would be a no-brainer, but with all the sheep i have seen in the USA I can say that knowledge is not in their brain.

I could have put other things down instead of medical supplies and firearms, but some people think they are not tools and that is why I listed them as their own number.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:07 PM

Sometimes it's sad they are stuffed in a box and pretend strange things like money isn't a just another tool. Little digital toys have taken over totally, and become the fashionable thing to do at any and all cost. I must question if that is life. I understand your points. I really ment it when i said nice list.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:28 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,703,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Water good
Chapstick Ok
Dog food not very good, and a little yucky unless yer a dog.
Shelter good
Food good and better than that dog food you wanna eat.
Hotel Res, Ok if it is out of the effected area, other wise it will be a hot/cold dank stinking pit. No power and Inns get real stinky like a restarant upon opening, just nasty.

Cell Phone??? It won't work..... No power

Kindle???? what's that?
Hopefully my generator will still work and all.
Cell phone might work because we don't know what Shfan is going to be. It could be a major flood which in most cases cells still work.

The dog food is for my dog

Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 AM

What's Kindle?

A flood in NH is remote, and so to me is not SHTF.

To me SHTF is national at least or global. That could be the grain belt no longer being the bread basket of the known world, or the total collapse of the doller as we know it, or a war of global proportions, maybe a plague, which is well over due, also might be no rain on a global scale.

Local ice storms the size of that last one, which took out ALL NE, almost ALL of NY, and the better part of eastern Cdn are not SHTF to me. To me that was Party Time, and I did. To me having no power 15 days is just a great time. I had heat, water, light and even radio. There wasn't a thing to upset me, execpt one night in the dark I pinched my chain saw in a tree layin in my way, I couldn't see both ends of. Not a big deal. I backed up aboit 1/2 miles on a one lane road class 6 type, and borrowed another saw to cut mine free.

A good old fashion Yankee Blizzard is just a good excuse for another party. I drove on frozen lakes from age 6 to date with any cars or trucks I could get my hands on. A great many had 4 bald tires, and I can drive a rear drive car 1 wheel drive with bald tires today and have no real need of snow tires. In fact I prefer baldies on my plow truck, which reduces the chances of breaking an axel.

Even when I was poor, living in the Tee Pee, year 2 in Md during that Storm of the Century (I didn't know it had a name) I was out plowing doing what I do, helping. I got very stuck that might and could not get back to my tee pee. I tried walking there, but got lost in a 70 MPH gale in white out. I couldn't tell where I was walking, so turnd back to spend the night in my truck.

That didn't happen. The guy who's house I was stuck in front of came out and invited us in to shower, eat, loan us dry things, and out us to bed. I onlly got stuck because there was no place on the lane to put snow.

There was old oaks on my right with a stone wall, and a city fence line on my left, I didn't want to mash, and ramming the wall of snow one time a little too hard got my truck off the ground and up on the pile with not one wheel on the ground. That gets you some stuck. The only other plow in that town was a WW_2 vintage jeep and I didn't know that guys name, so calling anyone for help was out.

That wasn't shtf either, that was a Bummer.

What's Kindel?

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 07-20-2011 at 08:24 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 09:54 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,278,803 times
Default Paper money

Paper money actually does have some uses. Just remember to crumple it up and put it UNDER the charcoal brikettes before you put the match to the money.

By the way, sanitary napkins make great bandages to stop severe bleeding.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:08 PM

711 posts, read 1,512,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Paper money actually does have some uses. Just remember to crumple it up and put it UNDER the charcoal brikettes before you put the match to the money.

By the way, sanitary napkins make great bandages to stop severe bleeding.

As does a sewing kit for sutures and crazy glue for the same reason.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:58 PM

I got my very own box of Kotex and I am male Might get some OB brand too, I think that's right, little torpedoes, look good for bullet wounds. I got a mil sutures kits with scaples now, and have used it a few times, but my left handed sewwing isn't any sort of class act.

Trust me, no one wants to be around and hear what I have to say sewwing myself up drunk
For that matter no one wants to be around when I set my own bones sober.

I have been looking at my new cigar trimmer thing, and wondering what I could do with that medicaly speaking Any male vollunteers?

I decided at my age 59 I better get cigars and scotch all figured out, since I am on the light end of my stick.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:27 PM

14 posts, read 26,240 times
For the most of it, we would be bugging in, being in a very small town area.
I would need these items
*Generator to run our well, we are out of luck if we lose power, will have to start using small local stream
*Gas to run the generator
*Water filter for when we run out of gas
*My books on certain things, farming, canning,wild food harvesting ect. (Most of which I practice now.)
*More wood for our woodstove
*Tp, phonebooks, soft washing type cloths
*Soap
*Non-hybrid garden seeds ( I collect from my plants now)
*Canned and freezed dried food. (I do the canning now, and have a dehydrator, but cant really do the freeze-dried thing at home)
*Coffee!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness