Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:15 PM

191 posts, read 180,809 times

Advertisements

starting a fire, with desperate people all around, is almost certain to get you killed. Best forget it, except in a gully, using a can-candle. A fire doesn't really warm you effectively, you have to have 3-4 walls reflecting the heat and keeping the wind off of you. If you dress properly and have means of insulating your immediate area further, you don't need the fire and don't want one in a hostile area. Me, I just avoid areas with such temperature and conditions extremes. At least, I avoid them at those times of the year. If shtf and I was in such a time/place, I'd waste no time in getting out of there, believe that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 12:22 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giney12 View Post
starting a fire, with desperate people all around, is almost certain to get you killed. Best forget it, except in a gully, using a can-candle. A fire doesn't really warm you effectively, you have to have 3-4 walls reflecting the heat and keeping the wind off of you. If you dress properly and have means of insulating your immediate area further, you don't need the fire and don't want one in a hostile area. Me, I just avoid areas with such temperature and conditions extremes. At least, I avoid them at those times of the year. If shtf and I was in such a time/place, I'd waste no time in getting out of there, believe that.

I think I understand your tack, but the tread was about a 10-piece kit for a SHTF scenario. Thus far, I’ve been trying to convince them what the five most important items are, and fire, or combustion, and a sure fire means of making that are second on the list to a knife.

I’m talking about sustainability in a wilderness survival situation. Without knowing how long a SHTF scenario could last, it’s critical to know the five most important Cs of survival. If things get that bad, nobody will have a way of knowing just how long it will take to survive, thus caches of water and food aren’t what I call sustainability, and at some point, people may have to learn to live off of the land with only a few basic items. Now anything past the basic 5 Cs of sustainability can be argued due to personal preference, geographical location and the like, but I’ve never met one self-taught, military or civilian trained survival enthusiast that doesn’t agree on the basic 5 Cs, so I disagree with your statement that fire isn’t necessary.

1. Cutting: A solid dependable knife.
2. Combustion: A sure fire method of building a fire in all conditions.
3. Cover/Clothing: How to carry basic shelter, learn to build shelter, and dress appropriately for the conditions that surround you.
4. Container: A stainless steel canteen, ideally, for disinfecting and storing water
5. Cordage: For making temporary shelter with your tarp/blanket and building more permanent shelter as well as carrying items and procuring food in the form of Fishing, trapping, and snaring wild game.

If you don’t have the 5cs, you’re never going to survive in a wilderness situation, and the key to surviving a SHTF scenario is to get away from populated areas.

*Note, I’m not saying that starting a fire with people all around isn’t dangerous. It should be obvious that I am clear and we agree on the fact that one must get away from other people.

P/S If one’s fire’s throwing off a lot of smoke, they’re either purposely signaling, starting a fire in very wet conditions, or they don’t know how to make a proper fire.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:30 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,273,502 times
Default Dad's stuff

I still have my father's stuff in my car. I took it out and found:

1. folding shovel
2. hatchet
3. large knife
4. fire starting material
5. roll of cord
6. gallon of water (the water had long since evaporated)
7. packet with fishhooks and line
6. tarp
7. needle, thread, safety pins
8. first aid kit

He always carried these things as his emergency kit. I put fresh supplies in the first aid kit, got a new gallon container of water and added soap, a comb and a hairbrush.

Loved the folding shovel!

Old 08-09-2011, 06:18 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Yup, we carry one in each car; got 'em at the Army/Navy store.

Very convenient; we dug ourselves out of a high-center after a blizzard last year.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I still have my father's stuff in my car. I took it out and found:

1. folding shovel
2. hatchet
3. large knife
4. fire starting material
5. roll of cord
6. gallon of water (the water had long since evaporated)
7. packet with fishhooks and line
6. tarp
7. needle, thread, safety pins
8. first aid kit

He always carried these things as his emergency kit. I put fresh supplies in the first aid kit, got a new gallon container of water and added soap, a comb and a hairbrush.

Might consider fresh water each day as you leave in your vehicle rather than storing it there but keeping a Katadyn water microfilter (or similar) in the vehicle emergency kit/go bag.

For a folding shovel+ in my vehicle I like the GLOCK entrenching tool with an integrated saw: http://www.topglock.com/item/69857_G...9QpfbOC9z2A%3d

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 08-10-2011 at 01:27 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 04:58 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
What are your must have's/important items?
extra gasoline

food

water

generator batteries and powerinverter

freezer

maps

weapons for hunting and defense

bicycle

tools

extra ways to start fire

hope this list isn't too general, it almost covers everything

Old 08-10-2011, 05:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Freezer?

Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Interesting posts.....but I have to say......freezer???

Old 08-11-2011, 02:02 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Interesting posts.....but I have to say......freezer???
freezers are good for having ice and keeping milk. u can't expect to go several months without milk (or years). some people also need to keep cool otherwise they get real sick.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:04 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,746 times
1,000,000.00 gift card for walmart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness