Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 06:03 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times

Advertisements

Why is everyone picking on me?

I'm simply trying to do people a favor...
This thread is prophetic...in that in a decade or less...

Either people will have learned to work together in small communities...
Or
They will be residents of the Government...watch...

Resorces will dry up, jobs will vanish...and you will have a choice...

Either join a planned commune of your own...or be forced to participate in a big Government commune....
Like those refugee camps you see in 3rd world or war ravaged societies...

Those who have the means, but don't act now while they can...is beyond me...

Or if you need someone to manage your commune, keep it running, maintane group harmony...
I'm your canidate...

I can maintane group cohesion...cause I believe in it...

And when i was in Job Corps years ago...they elected me to be dorm President...

Anyways..please do think long and hard about what I said...as our currency is fixen to go bad...
And wars not to far beyond that...

Plan now for what you will do...

Most of you, even those who are 'wealthy'...only have enough gas stored that is in your automoble tank...that's it...

So when gas is cut off...your car will become useless....

Why haven't those with the means, ever thought about stock pileing fuel??

Buy a used fuel tanker truck, for less than $5 gran...and keep it filled...

Just trying to get you all to think..... and plan...

And again...if you need someone to manage an already established commune...
Look me up...

Or if you need someone to fix a failing commune...again look me up...I'm your man...

I should start my own services called 'Communal repair'....

Be safe out there...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
You are receiving critical feedback, take it for the gift that it is. If you do not possess the self reflection to see the points made, then you cannot perform successfully in a leadership role, never mind "A leader" role, where the only form of feedback you will get will be criticism, of your plans, your ideas, your ideals, your approach. If you view this as picking on you, then that's your problem, and the problem of anyone else who chooses to follow you.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:23 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space
Because your saying the choices are 'ether or' when they clearly are not.

Also, you claim that no single person can save up the money, when I have (Without a large income) Before I'm 30, and I'm far from the only one.

Finally you have NO CONCEPT of how people deal with one another in close confines. (And have proven yourself unable to discuss or take criticism.)

In short: You are disconnected from reality.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:03 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Because your saying the choices are 'ether or' when they clearly are not.

Also, you claim that no single person can save up the money, when I have (Without a large income) Before I'm 30, and I'm far from the only one.

Finally you have NO CONCEPT of how people deal with one another in close confines. (And have proven yourself unable to discuss or take criticism.)

In short: You are disconnected from reality.

No one's "picking on you" Time And Space; yours is a typical childish and temperamental response to honest criticism and advice. Most of the criticisms on here come from people who have experience - in not only survival situations, but leadership situations, and even those who have set their goals, planned accordingly, and working hard, finally achieved them - without being "rich" or blaming anyone but themselves for their failures.

Dorm President? Aw, how cute. And how totally ineffectual and useless in real life situations. Some on here have led military groups to sucessful objectives, others have led businesses to success, while still others have led small governments to success. Still others have sucessfully built or are continuing to build their preparedness plans for themselves and their families. The key word here is "success" - planning and achieving objectives. And every one of those objectives has proven their leadership abilities - you don't take a military brigade, a business, a government or even a family into successes without being able to lead the people who have chosen you to lead them. No leader can operate for long by postulating fantasies and seeing who else is dreamy-eyed enough to fall in with them (and bring their skills and money along for your approval and acceptance).

You think that in 10 years your dreams here will prove to be prophecy? No; bluntly, if what you expect to happen actually does happen, you will be one of the first to go into that good night, like the wide-eyed deer standing in the middle of the road. Because, while you can see and hear everything coming, headlights ablaze, horns honking, you simply don't know when, how, or which way to jump. While you are standing there, dreaming and supposing, getting your feelings hurt because no one wants to believe in or throw in with you, the oncoming juggernaut will smash you to the side of the road, and continue on. And the last sound on the wind that you will hear will be your own pathetic voice crying "It isn't FAIR! No one would join me in the middle of the road!"

Here it is, again bluntly - either stop dreaming, complaining, and blaming, and start actually doing something for yourself, making realistic plans, setting and achieving realistic goals - or be prepared to accept the consequences. Those are your real "either-or" choices.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post

Here it is, again bluntly - either stop dreaming, complaining, and blaming, and start actually doing something for yourself, making realistic plans, setting and achieving realistic goals - or be prepared to accept the consequences. Those are your real "either-or" choices.
He seems to fit rather well with the other people here who brag and blather about useless talents and accomplishments while attacking both wealth and the wealthy. These people want only to blame others for their failure to prosper. They seem to believe that if only bad times come they'll prove their natural superiority because everyone will be equal. But people will no more be equal then than now.

Survival planning is a very important part of overall investment strategy. But it is just a part. It's prudent diversification and allows many of us to enjoy our interests while we do it. Contrary to the hopes of some, society is not going to return to the Stone Age.

I support freedom because I don't wish equality; I wish to excel.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:05 AM

[quote=Happy in Wyoming;21884173]

Quote:
He seems to fit rather well with the other people here who brag and blather about useless talents and accomplishments while attacking both wealth and the wealthy. These people want only to blame others for their failure to prosper.
Wanting to start a commune, yearning for a 'richer life and closer interaction with others' is not 'blaming others or anyone'....

Seeing that there's a 'better way'...again is not 'blaming others'....

Not wanting to continue down the same ole path of social isolation or drudgery, is not blaming others....

Trying to give people a more enriched life experience, on my part, should be commended....(there is no 'blame' element to this...)

That would be like saying people who want to go to college and better their life are 'blaming others' for wanting a brighter future...nah...

Quote:
They seem to believe that if only bad times come they'll prove their natural superiority because everyone will be equal. But people will no more be equal then than now.

Survival planning is a very important part of overall investment strategy. But it is just a part. It's prudent diversification and allows many of us to enjoy our interests while we do it. Contrary to the hopes of some, society is not going to return to the Stone Age.
I beg to differ here...it's only a matter of time...it's the law of average...we're set up more now, than ever for either a natural or man made catastophry...

Either accidental...(watch the movie I am legend with Will Smith) or (28 days later)...

Or purpaseful...(watch 'Road Road)....or watch the movie '2011'.....

This thread indeed is prophetic...not in a religious sense, but in a matter of speaking, law of average, prior civilization sense....

And I don't see myself as a 'failure'....

A failure is someone who lays down and quits and accepts defeat...

I simply see that I , like most, in the past, have prioritized the wrong things in life...and to continue to do so will yield the same results that results in this nation having the highest depression rate on the planet...

Old 11-28-2011, 03:51 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post

Trying to give people a more enriched life experience, on my part, should be commended....(there is no 'blame' element to this...)

That would be like saying people who want to go to college and better their life are 'blaming others' for wanting a brighter future...nah...
OK Wiseguy, so what have you DONE...?

You do know that no one else is going to commit to a plan unless you begin to execute on it? Standing shouting at the world waiting for providence to give you a crew is not a plan.

So as to answer your statement...
Quote:
Trying to find contridictions in others, is one of the biggest cop outs ever...an excuse not to act, and instead remain entrenched in the system...
Firstly I wasn't trying, the contradictions were there.

Secondly, this is perhaps the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. Why don't you tell me about myself, I'll await your response with anticipated amusement.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:18 AM

[quote=Gungnir;21885073]
Quote:
OK Wiseguy, so what have you DONE...?
why are you picking on me again...

Can you please just consider some of the proposals or ideas I have shared?

Quote:
Why don't you tell me about myself, I'll await your response with anticipated amusement.
I'm not phycic...

But I'll give it a go...

I feel there is a part of you that yearns for 'the rockies'...'cold winters and snow'...that's what I see when I see you...I also see someone who use to sled a lot as a youth...

And I see an orange jacket...the old kind...think they use to call them 'life jackets' cause they were so puffy...

I see someone who fundamentally understands and sees what I'm saying...

And finally I see someone who likes to rough house and throw snow balls at your face...(in this instance mine...)..or use to...

I'm not a phycic, but I sense you have 'spark'...you just need some gasoline to ignite it...pressure to get the pistons fireing again...

And it's my job to provide that spark and pressure to you and or others so we can maybe someday have our own commune...

Old 11-28-2011, 08:03 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I'll also add 65% of the remainder think that they are those types.
What type are you if I may ask? BTW If you think you can handle the Minnesota winters, think you can take orders, have a strong work ethic etc. Contact me I may have a spot for you in the refuge.... It would help if you are trained in combat arms or a licensed nurse..... we could use another blacksmith as well....or a sister/wife if your willing and cute

Old 11-28-2011, 08:07 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
[quote=Time and Space;21884724]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

Wanting to start a commune, yearning for a 'richer life and closer interaction with others' is not 'blaming others or anyone'....

Seeing that there's a 'better way'...again is not 'blaming others'....

Either accidental...(watch the movie I am legend with Will Smith) or (28 days later)...

Or purpaseful...(watch 'Road Road)....or watch the movie '2011'.....

This thread indeed is prophetic...not in a religious sense, but in a matter of speaking, law of average, prior civilization sense....
After looking at your posts, you may wish to read Orwell's 1984. People who have to agree on everything or be pushed out, thinking the same thoughts, everybody subjugating their will to the good of the collective, there are some chilling parallels to what you espouse.

Gungir, SCGranny and Happy in Wyoming among others have given you good advice.

I understand the dream of Utopia, same idea that started the communists in the late 19th early 20th century.
The problem with your plan is that everybody has basically the same idea you do, "I am right and if people would listen to me, everything would be good".
If you have good ideas, people will listen to you, but you have to formulate your ideas and present them in a coherent manner so others can understand your dream.

Much of what you talk about, Caring individuals, an atmosphere of love, a place to belong, you are describing a family or extended family.

Why not look to your relatives instead of strangers for your place to belong?

When you put out your ideas for discussion, part of the discussion is going to be constructive, part of it will be "picking on you", but a lot of it is simply going to highlight the difficulties of leadership in selling your plan.

Utopia only exists in the mind. When you find where you are happy and doing what you want, with the friends or family you have. You cannot build it out of whole cloth. Even Marx didn't live to see his Utopia come to fruition in Russia or China or North Korea.

Dreams are great, they have built this country and given you the oportunity to follow your dreams, but at the same time, that same right is given to all of us, so while you have your dream, don't be surprised that it may not mesh with what everybody else wants.

Do your own thing, and if some folks like it, they will join, but because most won't doesn't mean they are just tearing you down, it just means their experience and dreams are different than yours.

Anger at "The Man for keeping you down" does nothing but belittle your arguments. Personal responsiblity and striving to better yourself are what gain respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness