Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:31 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,786,642 times

Advertisements

That is coming from my wise, old friends. They asked me if I had food storage and I said no. Then they said to start a food nest egg and build on it each month. I was taught this when I was little but I chalked it up to the radical doomsday mentality that surrounded it and haven't taken it seriously.

My friends said that not only do I want enough to eat but that I will want some to barter with if the financial system crashes.

I'm thinking I may have to take another look at this and start a little stockpile but I don't want to get too carried away. So I'm asking how much do you think is enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 12:04 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
What country to do live in that you need this kind of preparation?

Old 10-31-2011, 04:27 AM

Wyoming.

They seem to think the U S is headed for a disaster of some type. They are quite wealthy but told us that one of their investments is food. I thought they were a little fanatical but it got me thinking...

Old 10-31-2011, 04:52 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,765,150 times
If you want to stock up on some food be careful it doesn't go bad before you get to eat it. I know some people who stock up so much that they forgot to check the due dates. They didn't think to start eating some of it then replacing it. Some have up to six months of food stored.

I do wonder what they will do when that food supply runs out and if there were a shortage of food? I also wonder about people who buy property near water and grow their own food expect to survive a drastic climatic change, disaster, doomsday, do they expect it will just pass them?

I can see storing up in case you get sick and can't get out or for short term emergency but other than that I doubt it would really do anything except prolong the inevitable in the event of catastrophic disaster.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:38 AM

25,774 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Most foods that are prepared for storage, or are dry goods, will last up to 30 years. You won't have to worry about it going bad. Food storage is the right thing for you to do if you are of the mindset that being prepared is a good idea. Some people don't carry a spare tire in their auto and never need it. Others have needed it and are glad they had the forethought to carry one. Your question is a matter of statistics: what are the chances that something might go wrong in your lifetime to the extent that you may need to provide my own food? And how should you react to that probability? That's for you to decide.

Besides the above aspect, stored food is WAY cheaper than other forms. It costs pennies to make a meal when you buy in bulk.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:28 AM

I've always thought it was a good idea, just never put it in place. But I never looked at it as an investment, such as a stock or bond. That surprised me.

I also don't want to buy a bunch of flour and rice and beans and then just have it sit there for years, so I like the idea of keeping it in a rotation. Thanks for the info!

Old 10-31-2011, 12:40 PM

43 posts, read 53,841 times
If you watch any TV news at all, you know that not a month goes by without some area of the US experiencing a temporary disruption of business as usual. Maybe it's a snow storm that makes roads impassible, maybe its a local failure of the power grid, maybe its a flood that closes down town. The next thing that happens could happen where you live. It makes good sense to have at least 3 day's worth of drinking water and no-cook food in your home no matter where you live. If you live in a region prone to hurricanes, flooding, tornadoes, earthquakes, storm-related power outages, or some other natural disaster, then it makes sense to prepare to be self-sufficient for the typical amount of time this stuff disrupts services in your area. You don't even need to spend extra money to have basic supplies on hand -- just make sure that some of the groceries you buy each week are the shelf-stable no-cook type (saltines, Vienna sausage, cookies, raisins, peanut butter, bottled water, canned soda drinks or whatever you like to consume). Actually use this stuff and replace it on a regular basis so that it will always be useable and not spoiled if you should need in an emergency. And it's a good idea to have a few Bic lighters and some votive candles in glass holders stored away too. Yes I know that battery flashlights and battery lanterns are safer than candles but batteries go bad sooner than you expect and are expensive too. Candles and Bic lighters are cheap, last for years in storage and will reliably work when you need them most. Just have a fire extingusher on hand and don't be careless with open flames and candles should be safe to use. Not too long ago we had a three-day power outage in the suburb where I live and my windowless bathroom was very dark at night. I put a lighted votive candle (in a glass votive holder) inside a mixxing bowl, sat the mixing bowl in the bath tub, added water to the mixing bowl to just below the rim of the voltive holder. I figured if my candle was surraounded by a moat of water in a bathtub it would have a real hard time starting a house fire while I was alseep -- and the little candle provided just enough light a night.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:11 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
There is a thread on this somewhere on here.....A whole lot of things can be used as currency, whether it's needles and thread, bottles of cheap vodka, toilet paper, etc. If it is known you've got a general store to do trading with, you better have the means to protect what you have. If we are ever reduced to a barter economy, there aren't going to be any cops coming by to investigate your burglary complaint.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:30 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If we are ever reduced to a barter economy, there aren't going to be any cops coming by to investigate your burglary complaint.
Kind of like anywhere in America, for the past 40 years. Have so many people out there managed to live in the real world and NEVER been robbed, had a car stolen, or had their homes broken into? Once it happens to you, you can't help but throw away the naive belief that the police department cares one iota about the citizen. About time we all realized that we are just "marks" to be given huge traffic fines by professional bullys, which pay for even more over-compensated cops and their incredibly expensive toys.

We've always been "on our own;" we just pretend the government that taxes us into poverty isn't totally worthless. We either protect our own assets, or we lose them, after the collapse or today.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:39 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,765,150 times
Wow you all make a good point, thanks

I haven't though of it as currency and had no idea there was a 30 year shelf for dried food. I remember another thread about storeing up food and water and people moving out in the woods making and preparing a way to survive without outside help. That's great to do if you can and if the place you live in doesn't get destroyed. I couldn't do what they do and I sure couldn't protect it if I had it to use for currency.

The only food I could think to keep on hand is baked beans. I have a little sort of hot plate with I forget what they are called but if I put a match to them they burn so I could heat up soup. I just don't make the preparations I should because I have never been in a situation where I don't have electricity for long. I remember once I didn't have heat all night but was able to keep the oven on for some heat. Maybe it's time to start getting a few things, at least, a little at a time. Thank you everyone for all your helpful suggestions. I'm glad I asked questions now. Oh and peanut butter great idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness