Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,765,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Kind of like anywhere in America, for the past 40 years. Have so many people out there managed to live in the real world and NEVER been robbed, had a car stolen, or had their homes broken into? Once it happens to you, you can't help but throw away the naive belief that the police department cares one iota about the citizen. About time we all realized that we are just "marks" to be given huge traffic fines by professional bullys, which pay for even more over-compensated cops and their incredibly expensive toys.

We've always been "on our own;" we just pretend the government that taxes us into poverty isn't totally worthless. We either protect our own assets, or we lose them, after the collapse or today.

I don't see it that way. I have seen cops arresting people dealing drugs and catching the SOB's attempting to rob. The one thing I don't see and wish I did would be cops catching drunk drivers before the accident they cause. At least the traffic fines are to stop people from speeding which could cause accidents and deaths.

295Linda, If you don't have glass doors to the bathtub please be careful the shower liner doesn't catch fire. I sometimes use the LED Flameless jar candle with batteries included. Aside from being safer without the flame they are also safer for children and pets around. I put it on top of the toilet tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 03:15 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Kind of like anywhere in America, for the past 40 years. Have so many people out there managed to live in the real world and NEVER been robbed, had a car stolen, or had their homes broken into? Once it happens to you, you can't help but throw away the naive belief that the police department cares one iota about the citizen. About time we all realized that we are just "marks" to be given huge traffic fines by professional bullys, which pay for even more over-compensated cops and their incredibly expensive toys.

We've always been "on our own;" we just pretend the government that taxes us into poverty isn't totally worthless. We either protect our own assets, or we lose them, after the collapse or today.

As an over-compensated bully, I'd have to say that is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read on this site.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
To start off..think of a natural disaster where you are stranded at home for maybe up to 2 weeks.
Do you have enough stocked to last 2 weeks without hoping FEMA comes by with supplies ?

Once that is done then start adding to it. I just buy an extra this or that when I'm shopping and add it to the stockpile. I always check expiration dates and every Christmas vacation I do a major inventory and rotation of the food. Once a year is fine for me.

Any grains that I buy I freeze first and then put them in a container. Paper/cardboard/plastic bags that grains come in aren't enough to keep bugs out.

Here's a good list to look over for what to stock:
100 Items to Disappear First

Old 10-31-2011, 04:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,691,736 times
There are some links at the top of this forum on a sticky that provide resources of where to get dried food. You can even get dried butter and cheese! And y'know what? Most of them are GOOD!

Careful with the flour, especially whole wheat flour. If you buy whole wheat, rye, and even oats in grain form, you will not only have it to grind into flour, but to plant if it gets so bad that you have to grow more. Flour tends to go rancid after about 6 months, or occasionally gets flour weevils. (You can eat the weevils too but most people hesitate unless they are hungry or that is all they have.) We buy the 5-gallon buckets of grains in bulk and stash them back; our 50 lbs sacks of flour we keep in big trash cans that stay sealed.

Peanut butter will also go rancid after awhile unless you freeze the peanuts themselves to make your own peanut butter, or you can buy it in powder form too.

We like to buy in bulk, mainly because there are times when the roads here are impassable due to snow and ice. you can can meat as well as almost any produce to last. But for trade items, you might prefer the dehydrated foods; they last longer and if there is no one around with whom to trade, you can always eat them.

Also medical supplies might be in demand as well; especially things like large bandages and sterile items like scalpels and sutures.

We stock a mix of things; frozen meat and vegies, both the home-canned and dehydrated-canned food, as well as heirloom seeds (seeds that reproduce exactly from the original plant, not hybrids); plus we grow our own garden, have chickens and therefore chicken meat and eggs, adn cows that reproduce every year. While it is a great idea to stock up on trade items or food items that you can eat yourself, the best thing is to have a "renewable resource" - animals and seeds that reproduce every year, and make more of themselves for a steady supply. You can stock up on vodka for trade - or learn how to make 'shine or mead and have your own resource and renewable supply.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:40 PM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
We knew a few people who support themselves from bartering what they grow in their gardens.

We are very fortunate to have moved to an area for our retirement where this is pretty common.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:12 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
There are some links at the top of this forum on a sticky that provide resources of where to get dried food. You can even get dried butter and cheese! And y'know what? Most of them are GOOD!

Careful with the flour, especially whole wheat flour. If you buy whole wheat, rye, and even oats in grain form, you will not only have it to grind into flour, but to plant if it gets so bad that you have to grow more.
Hi SCGranny,

In an emergency situation, you don't even need to grind it to flour. All you have to do is soak, and then boil it like its rice. Flour is really just a luxury.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,691,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi SCGranny,

In an emergency situation, you don't even need to grind it to flour. All you have to do is soak, and then boil it like its rice. Flour is really just a luxury.
Yes, but... I do love my bread!
Plus it is a great way to get folks to eat all sorts of fruits, vegetables, and even meats - pile 'em on a homemade pizza, make a cannoli, make fruit and nut bread, make runzas, even cookies... food that's all folded over itself in its own "pocket" is easier to carry, too.

PS - for those who don't know - "Runza" = the original 'hot pocket'...

Whenever we have to go somewhere, I mix up some beef and cheese, or ham and cheese, mix in cabbage and onions, and stuff small hand-size whole-wheat balls of dough with them. They can go anywhere, even in saddlebags, need no refrigeration for a loong time, and can be eaten hot or cold.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:06 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
As an over-compensated bully, I'd have to say that is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read on this site.
Yes, I agree that the poster is definitely showing his/her ignorance and bias, probably based on a police encounter that wasn't taken well. (Speeding, maybe?)

I'm old-school on respecting and liking my local cops.

For the OP, some of us who prepare are of the mindset that "you can't eat gold or guns" and make sure we are well-stocked with foodstuffs and water before we move on to discretionary investments and weapons procurement.

Your cans of beans might be worth much more than you paid for them some day.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:57 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
I can't think of any reason why I will ever need to rely on emergency food in my lifetime. However a few hundred bucks on the king of stored food being whole kernel grain seems like good insurance against the failure of my infallible insight.

Though its what's in your head. Anyone can stick a potato in a dirt bag.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,686,224 times
In a world of survival... what is the utmost basic???

Food & water = energy to find shelter = luxury to mark the territory in the ways of the bathrooms....

Any animal will tell you that, food & water is the MOST important of anything, it is the basics to survival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness