Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 AM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It will always be affordable for them. They can cancel their cell-phones or cable to pay for gasoline. They can stop eating 337x per week at fast food restaurants.

There are many things than can do, and they will do them if they have no choice. I means seriously, work or cable TV? That's like a no-brainer. If you have to cancel cable in order to pay for gasoline to get to work and keep your job, then that is what they will do.

Not an issue...

Mircea
The way things are these days, I can see many people choosing their cell phone over their job. So many "phone drunks" staggering around with their head down and the world turned off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 08:13 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
The biggest problem with high oil prices is far more than just getting to work, everything made using oil products, use oil products for energy, or use petroleum for transporting merchandise, the costs of production go up and are passed on to the consumers.

I live 6 miles from work, and could walk or bike, it just takes longer to get there, but I have no control over costs of things I can't produce at home.

It is more than just the cell phone or cable bill, clothing, repairs, food, everything goes up when the oil price goes up.

As for using old cooking oil as a diesel replacement, when you have a lot of people looking for it and using it, it becomes a marketable product and instead of a waste product you can get for free, suddenly it becomes as expensive as diesel.

It will be a tough situation for everybody no matter if they drive or not. The impact of high oil costs is passed around.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:23 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,407,589 times
If there's no fuel, there's no food. Trucks bring food to stores. No fuel for trucks, people aren't eating.

If y'all are going to ride your bikes around while there's riots in the streets, good luck.

In those situations, the rural people just stay home. Spend a little more time in the gardens and defensive positions.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:38 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The way things are these days, I can see many people choosing their cell phone over their job. So many "phone drunks" staggering around with their head down and the world turned off.
Now that you mention it, so can I.

I can see people refusing to cancel their World of Warcraft subscription and just chucking their job. I say that because there's a "homeless shelter" for the mentally ill across the alley and there are at least 3 people there who are, um, "addicted" to video games and get Social Security Disability because of it.

Staggering...

Mircea

Old 03-02-2012, 05:30 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,692,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
If there's no fuel, there's no food. Trucks bring food to stores. No fuel for trucks, people aren't eating.

If y'all are going to ride your bikes around while there's riots in the streets, good luck.

In those situations, the rural people just stay home. Spend a little more time in the gardens and defensive positions.
All of the above is true, with one addendum...

Rural people will continue to do what they have been doing, which is trading and bartering between each other for what they can produce.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:54 PM

235 posts, read 837,620 times
I want to keep an eye out during the summer to see which consumer products jump in price...I would presume that would likely be an indicator of what will eventually be out of reach to most people when the price of gas continues to climb. Food will definitely get more expensive.

I can't say which area of the US would be the best place to live when gas gets really expensive, maybe as others have said a mainly rural area where you're relatively close to your neighbours and everyone has a large kitchen garden, etc. I know where I wouldn't want to live...southern California.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
All of the above is true, with one addendum...

Rural people will continue to do what they have been doing, which is trading and bartering between each other for what they can produce.
I wonder about if there would ever be a prolonged interruption of gas supply (can think of at least a few scenarios) how rural & farm folks would get their machinery running, let alone their vehicles. And getting to town for provisions, etc. As you say, farmers can barter and would be alright. But the ruralists who are rural for no real reason other than to live remote??

I have no idea if this could come to pass, but it seems like it could bring our nation down pretty fast, so what's the backup plan?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:39 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,686,666 times
DH has a motorbike in case he needs to conserve gas... but our SUV is already great on gas.
Plus each of the family member has a riding bicycle... who cares about gas then???

If worse comes...
It is the ability to have food & water in the belly & shelter that takes prominence.... think what basic needs is.
Who needs to go anywhere if food, water & shelter is readily available where you are????

In the beginning, there is no available gas to humans either... and we still survived as a species....
Gas... but another bogus human needs.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:48 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
DH has a motorbike in case he needs to conserve gas... but our SUV is already great on gas.
Plus each of the family member has a riding bicycle... who cares about gas then???

If worse comes...
It is the ability to have food & water in the belly & shelter that takes prominence.... think what basic needs is.
Who needs to go anywhere if food, water & shelter is readily available where you are????

In the beginning, there is no available gas to humans either... and we still survived as a species....

Gas... but another bogus human needs.
Yeah, until your goods don't get delivered...or you can't get to them....

Old 03-04-2012, 10:59 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,686,666 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yeah, until your goods don't get delivered...or you can't get to them....
Not if ^^^you are the ones needing the food delivered from me.
Not from the city mind you.

Farm you see... even feed our own from our "feed" & veg & fruit farm.
Farm started even before gas was needed via modern machinery.
And plus there are always horses & old day plows that can help with crop harvesting... the Amish way. No problem there.

Old ways = Gas... but another bogus modern human needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness